Problem with german characters

Jason Johnson-3
Hello group,

I am working on a site in pier and the pages use german characters
(öäü).  They show up in
the pages as "???".  I started looking through the code while waiting to
get on the pier list and
I noticed that in pier all the text is input fine.  In fact, the data is
correct in the stream all the way to
WARender>>writeOnLoadOn:
Unfortunately in that function the connection gets reset and hangs my
image so I can't track it past there in
the debugger, at least not so far.

Does anyone know the reason for this, or should I keep digging?  I think
the problem will wind up being in
seaside somewhere or in the Commanche server code.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Re: Problem with german characters

Lukas Renggli
> I am working on a site in pier and the pages use german characters
> (öäü).  They show up in
> the pages as "???".  I started looking through the code while waiting to
> get on the pier list and
> I noticed that in pier all the text is input fine.  In fact, the data is
> correct in the stream all the way to
> WARender>>writeOnLoadOn:
> Unfortunately in that function the connection gets reset and hangs my
> image so I can't track it past there in
> the debugger, at least not so far.

Why are you waiting to get on the Pier list? That should happen
immediately, else you probably registered at the wrong place.

Every so often I hear that people are trying to register at
<http://impara.de/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki>, what does not work as
this is just a mirror of the archive. I think it would be good to
disable this form. Who is responsible?

The official mailing-list registration and the archive is reachable at
<https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki>.

Hope this helps,
Lukas

> Does anyone know the reason for this, or should I keep digging?  I think
> the problem will wind up being in
> seaside somewhere or in the Commanche server code.

Use WAKomEncoded instead of WAKom and see if the problem gets solved

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Problem with german characters

Michael Rueger-6
Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Every so often I hear that people are trying to register at
> <http://impara.de/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki>, what does not work as
> this is just a mirror of the archive. I think it would be good to
> disable this form. Who is responsible?

That would be me.

> The official mailing-list registration and the archive is reachable at
> <https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki>.

I would really like to suggest to move the smallwiki list to a mailman
installation so we can get rid of this rather complicated arrangement.
The list probably could be hosted on the squeak servers?

Michael

Re: Re: Problem with german characters

Lukas Renggli
Hi Michael,

> > The official mailing-list registration and the archive is reachable at
> > <https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki>.
>
> I would really like to suggest to move the smallwiki list to a mailman
> installation so we can get rid of this rather complicated arrangement.
> The list probably could be hosted on the squeak servers?

in fact this transition to mail-man has been done a long time ago. As
you can see it already works on mailman, not on a Squeak server but on
the University. There is also the complete archive, so the mirror at
impara.de is not really necessary anymore. Could you disable it? Or
are there other implications I do not see?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I am working on a site in pier and the pages use german characters
>> (öäü).  They show up in
>> the pages as "???".  I started looking through the code while waiting to
>> get on the pier list and
>> I noticed that in pier all the text is input fine.  In fact, the data is
>> correct in the stream all the way to
>> WARender>>writeOnLoadOn:
>> Unfortunately in that function the connection gets reset and hangs my
>> image so I can't track it past there in
>> the debugger, at least not so far.
>
> Why are you waiting to get on the Pier list? That should happen
> immediately, else you probably registered at the wrong place.
>
> Every so often I hear that people are trying to register at
> <http://impara.de/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki>, what does not work as
> this is just a mirror of the archive. I think it would be good to
> disable this form. Who is responsible?
>
> The official mailing-list registration and the archive is reachable at
> <https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki>.
I registered at the second one (from a previous email of yours).  It
said I should receive some kind of confirmation which hasn't come yet.

Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Use WAKomEncoded instead of WAKom and see if the problem gets solved
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

Yes, that fixed it, thanks.

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I am working on a site in pier and the pages use german characters
>> (öäü).  They show up in
>> the pages as "???".  I started looking through the code while waiting to
>> get on the pier list and
>> I noticed that in pier all the text is input fine.  In fact, the data is
>> correct in the stream all the way to
>> WARender>>writeOnLoadOn:
>> Unfortunately in that function the connection gets reset and hangs my
>> image so I can't track it past there in
>> the debugger, at least not so far.
>
> Why are you waiting to get on the Pier list? That should happen
> immediately, else you probably registered at the wrong place.
>
> Every so often I hear that people are trying to register at
> <http://impara.de/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki>, what does not work as
> this is just a mirror of the archive. I think it would be good to
> disable this form. Who is responsible?
>
> The official mailing-list registration and the archive is reachable at
> <https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki>.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Lukas
>
>> Does anyone know the reason for this, or should I keep digging?  I think
>> the problem will wind up being in
>> seaside somewhere or in the Commanche server code.
>
> Use WAKomEncoded instead of WAKom and see if the problem gets solved
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

I tried to apply to the list again and I still have not received a
response.  How long does it generally take?

Re: Re: Problem with german characters

Lukas Renggli
> I tried to apply to the list again and I still have not received a
> response.  How long does it generally take?

A few seconds. Are you sure that the mail doesn't end up in your SPAM filter?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> I tried to apply to the list again and I still have not received a
>> response.  How long does it generally take?
>
> A few seconds. Are you sure that the mail doesn't end up in your SPAM
> filter?
>
> Lukas

*slides quietly under the table*  Been a while since I got bit by that.
Thanks for your help as always.