Problem with zinc 2.9.2

123

Problem with zinc 2.9.2

NorbertHartl
I tried to see how hard it would be to load my current project in pharo7. Cyril helped me to see that I load an old version of zinc and it does not work that way. Upgrading to zinc 2.9.2 made it work in pharo 7 but my jenkins build do not work anymore. I don’t fully understand what is happening. I see in the log

Loading baseline of BaselineOfMobilityMap... ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolMessageNotUnderstood: ZnFileSystemUtils class>>newBinaryFileNamed:do: ZnFileSystemUtils class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #newBinaryFileNamed:do: ZnClient>>downloadEntityTo: ZnClient>>downloadTo: IceMetacelloPharoPlatform(MetacelloPharoPlatform)>>downloadZipArchive:to:

The strange thing about it is that when I download that image where the error occurred I cannot find a sender of #newBinaryFileNamed:do: and the #downloadEntityTo: does not seem to use it. Downgrading to zinc 2.8.10 makes it work again.

I feel a little bit stupid because the image does not load any new package on startup and still there is this error message which does not make sense to me at all.

Any ideas?

Norbert

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

Max Leske
Hi Norbert,

Where can I get my hands on that image that you say has no sender of
#newBinaryFileNamed:do: in it?

Max

On 4 Jul 2018, at 17:30, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> I tried to see how hard it would be to load my current project in
> pharo7. Cyril helped me to see that I load an old version of zinc and
> it does not work that way. Upgrading to zinc 2.9.2 made it work in
> pharo 7 but my jenkins build do not work anymore. I don’t fully
> understand what is happening. I see in the log

> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolMessageNotUnderstood:
> ZnFileSystemUtils class>>newBinaryFileNamed:do:
> ZnFileSystemUtils class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
> #newBinaryFileNamed:do:
> ZnClient>>downloadEntityTo:
> ZnClient>>downloadTo:
> IceMetacelloPharoPlatform(MetacelloPharoPlatform)>>downloadZipArchive:to:
>
> The strange thing about it is that when I download that image where
> the error occurred I cannot find a sender of #newBinaryFileNamed:do:
> and the #downloadEntityTo: does not seem to use it. Downgrading to
> zinc 2.8.10 makes it work again.
>
> I feel a little bit stupid because the image does not load any new
> package on startup and still there is this error message which does
> not make sense to me at all.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Norbert

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
How exactly did you load ?

On macOS Pharo-7.0+alpha.build.1099.sha.bcfa81fa7b35214eede30962d35d1d547c199989 (64 Bit) I went to the Catalog and loaded the default stable version.

Fetched -> ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents-SvenVanCaekenberghe.115 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo70/main/ --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo70/main/
Loaded -> ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents-SvenVanCaekenberghe.115 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo70/main/ --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo70/main/
Fetched -> Zodiac-Core-TorstenBergmann.48 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac
Fetched -> Zodiac-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.22 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac
Fetched -> Zodiac-Extra-SvenVanCaekenberghe.8 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac
Fetched -> Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Fetched -> Zinc-Character-Encoding-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.43 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Fetched -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.68 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Fetched -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.38 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Fetched -> Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Fetched -> Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.474 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Fetched -> Zinc-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.245 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Fetched -> Zinc-Zodiac-SvenVanCaekenberghe.44 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Fetched -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.9 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Loaded -> Zodiac-Core-TorstenBergmann.48 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- /Users/sven/Develop/Pharo/Pharo-Daily/2018-06-29/pharo-local/package-cache
Loaded -> Zodiac-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.22 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- /Users/sven/Develop/Pharo/Pharo-Daily/2018-06-29/pharo-local/package-cache
Loaded -> Zodiac-Extra-SvenVanCaekenberghe.8 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- /Users/sven/Develop/Pharo/Pharo-Daily/2018-06-29/pharo-local/package-cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Character-Encoding-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.43 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.68 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.38 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.474 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.245 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Zodiac-SvenVanCaekenberghe.44 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.9 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
...finished 2.9.2

All unit tests 411 were green.

#newBinaryFileNamed:do: can be found on the class side of ZnFileSystemUtils and is used by ZnClient>>#downloadEntityTo:

> On 4 Jul 2018, at 17:30, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tried to see how hard it would be to load my current project in pharo7. Cyril helped me to see that I load an old version of zinc and it does not work that way. Upgrading to zinc 2.9.2 made it work in pharo 7 but my jenkins build do not work anymore. I don’t fully understand what is happening. I see in the log

> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolMessageNotUnderstood: ZnFileSystemUtils class>>newBinaryFileNamed:do:
> ZnFileSystemUtils class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #newBinaryFileNamed:do:
> ZnClient>>downloadEntityTo:
> ZnClient>>downloadTo:
> IceMetacelloPharoPlatform(MetacelloPharoPlatform)>>downloadZipArchive:to:
>

> The strange thing about it is that when I download that image where the error occurred I cannot find a sender of #newBinaryFileNamed:do: and the #downloadEntityTo: does not seem to use it. Downgrading to zinc 2.8.10 makes it work again.
>
> I feel a little bit stupid because the image does not load any new package on startup and still there is this error message which does not make sense to me at all.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Norbert

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

NorbertHartl

> Am 04.07.2018 um 17:52 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Norbert,
>
> Where can I get my hands on that image that you say has no sender of #newBinaryFileNamed:do: in it?

I cannot give away the image, sorry. I can try to reproduce it somehow.
Do you expect the method to be there?

Norbert

> Max
>
>> On 4 Jul 2018, at 17:30, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>> I tried to see how hard it would be to load my current project in pharo7. Cyril helped me to see that I load an old version of zinc and it does not work that way. Upgrading to zinc 2.9.2 made it work in pharo 7 but my jenkins build do not work anymore. I don’t fully understand what is happening. I see in the log

>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolMessageNotUnderstood: ZnFileSystemUtils class>>newBinaryFileNamed:do:
>> ZnFileSystemUtils class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #newBinaryFileNamed:do:
>> ZnClient>>downloadEntityTo:
>> ZnClient>>downloadTo:
>> IceMetacelloPharoPlatform(MetacelloPharoPlatform)>>downloadZipArchive:to:
>>
>> The strange thing about it is that when I download that image where the error occurred I cannot find a sender of #newBinaryFileNamed:do: and the #downloadEntityTo: does not seem to use it. Downgrading to zinc 2.8.10 makes it work again.
>>
>> I feel a little bit stupid because the image does not load any new package on startup and still there is this error message which does not make sense to me at all.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Norbert

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

NorbertHartl

> [...]
> Loaded -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.38 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
> Loaded -> Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
> Loaded -> Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.474 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
> Loaded -> Zinc-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.245 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
> Loaded -> Zinc-Zodiac-SvenVanCaekenberghe.44 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
> Loaded -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.9 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
> ...finished 2.9.2
>
> All unit tests 411 were green.
>
> #newBinaryFileNamed:do: can be found on the class side of ZnFileSystemUtils and is used by ZnClient>>#downloadEntityTo:

Really? In my image I don‘t have it. I‘m loading it in 6.1. Ok so it seems that the zinc was updated but ZnFileSystemUtils not. Need to check.

Norbert

>> On 4 Jul 2018, at 17:30, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I tried to see how hard it would be to load my current project in pharo7. Cyril helped me to see that I load an old version of zinc and it does not work that way. Upgrading to zinc 2.9.2 made it work in pharo 7 but my jenkins build do not work anymore. I don’t fully understand what is happening. I see in the log

>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolMessageNotUnderstood: ZnFileSystemUtils class>>newBinaryFileNamed:do:
>> ZnFileSystemUtils class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #newBinaryFileNamed:do:
>> ZnClient>>downloadEntityTo:
>> ZnClient>>downloadTo:
>> IceMetacelloPharoPlatform(MetacelloPharoPlatform)>>downloadZipArchive:to:
>>

>> The strange thing about it is that when I download that image where the error occurred I cannot find a sender of #newBinaryFileNamed:do: and the #downloadEntityTo: does not seem to use it. Downgrading to zinc 2.8.10 makes it work again.
>>
>> I feel a little bit stupid because the image does not load any new package on startup and still there is this error message which does not make sense to me at all.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Norbert

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

Max Leske
On 4 Jul 2018, at 23:00, Norbert Hartl wrote:

>> Am 04.07.2018 um 17:52 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi Norbert,
>>
>> Where can I get my hands on that image that you say has no sender of
>> #newBinaryFileNamed:do: in it?
>>
> I cannot give away the image, sorry. I can try to reproduce it
> somehow.
> Do you expect the method to be there?

I would have, yes. But as you have discovered, the problem may lie with
ZnFileSystemUtils (although I would have expected that package to be
updated along with Zinc).

Max

> Norbert
>> Max
>>
>>> On 4 Jul 2018, at 17:30, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>>
>>> I tried to see how hard it would be to load my current project in
>>> pharo7. Cyril helped me to see that I load an old version of zinc
>>> and it does not work that way. Upgrading to zinc 2.9.2 made it work
>>> in pharo 7 but my jenkins build do not work anymore. I don’t fully
>>> understand what is happening. I see in the log

>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
>>> ...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolMessageNotUnderstood:
>>> ZnFileSystemUtils class>>newBinaryFileNamed:do:
>>> ZnFileSystemUtils class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
>>> #newBinaryFileNamed:do:
>>> ZnClient>>downloadEntityTo:
>>> ZnClient>>downloadTo:
>>> IceMetacelloPharoPlatform(MetacelloPharoPlatform)>>downloadZipArchive:to:
>>>
>>> The strange thing about it is that when I download that image where
>>> the error occurred I cannot find a sender of #newBinaryFileNamed:do:
>>> and the #downloadEntityTo: does not seem to use it. Downgrading to
>>> zinc 2.8.10 makes it work again.
>>>
>>> I feel a little bit stupid because the image does not load any new
>>> package on startup and still there is this error message which does
>>> not make sense to me at all.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Norbert

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

NorbertHartl
Ok,

I think I’ve found something. If you look at the screenshot (that is my image from jenkins, 6.1 with my code loaded and that throw the error) you can see that Zinc-FileSystem.15 is already loaded. But the Author gives the hint that this was loaded by the image integrator. And it differs from the .15 from Sven’s repo. Exactly the difference that could cause my error. I’m not sure if metacello upgrades only packages that have a higher version number. But that would be the explanation why it doesn’t work for me. I checked it by download a fresh 6.1 image and the situation is the same here.
So reproducing the problem should be as easy as creating a baseline that loads zinc 2.9.2 and later something from github. My case was that in the first step the project code was loaded in the image including zinc 2.9.2. That image was saved and on the next invocation it loads the test code and parasol was the first dependency to load from github and it failed.

Norbert

Am 05.07.2018 um 08:44 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Bump. I wonder nobody sees the problem. Or do I misunderstand there is something wrong in pharo?

Norbert

Am 05.07.2018 um 09:09 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

[...]

<Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-05 um 08.59.10.png>

[...]

Norbert,

I did (on macOS):

$ mkdir pharo61

$ cd pharo61/

$ curl get.pharo.org/61+vm | bash
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  3036  100  3036    0     0  24386      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 24483
Downloading the latest 61 Image:
    http://files.pharo.org/get-files/61/pharo.zip
Pharo.image
Downloading the latest pharoVM:
        http://files.pharo.org/get-files/61/pharo-mac-stable.zip
pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo
Downloading PharoV61.sources:
        http://files.pharo.org/get-files/61/sources.zip
Creating starter scripts pharo and pharo-ui

$ ./pharo-ui Pharo.image

I loaded ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents via the Catalog, but since that was not the latest, I loaded it manually and did

  ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project latestVersion load.

Here is the Transcript

Fetched -> Zodiac-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.42 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac
Fetched -> Zodiac-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.13 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac
Fetched -> Zinc-Character-Encoding-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.29 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Fetched -> Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.12 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Fetched -> Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.453 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Fetched -> Zinc-Zodiac-SvenVanCaekenberghe.36 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
Loaded -> Zodiac-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.42 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- /private/tmp/pharo61/pharo-local/package-cache
Loaded -> Zodiac-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.13 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- /private/tmp/pharo61/pharo-local/package-cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Character-Encoding-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.29 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.12 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.453 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Zodiac-SvenVanCaekenberghe.36 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
...finished 2.8.3

[...]
Loaded -> Zodiac-Core-TorstenBergmann.48 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- /private/tmp/pharo61/pharo-local/package-cache
Loaded -> Zodiac-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.22 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- /private/tmp/pharo61/pharo-local/package-cache
Loaded -> Zodiac-Extra-SvenVanCaekenberghe.8 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac --- /private/tmp/pharo61/pharo-local/package-cache
ZnBase64Encoder (DefaultInverse is Undeclared)
ZnBase64Encoder (DefaultAlphabet is Undeclared)
ZnSimplifiedByteEncoder class>>initializeByteTextConverters (ByteTextConverters is Undeclared)

ZnSimplifiedByteEncoder class>>initializeByteTextConverters (ByteTextConverters is Undeclared)

ZnSimplifiedByteEncoder class>>initializeByteTextConverters (ByteTextConverters is Undeclared)

ZnSimplifiedByteEncoder class>>byteTextConverters (ByteTextConverters is Undeclared)

Loaded -> Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Character-Encoding-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.43 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.68 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.38 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
ZnSingleThreadedServer class>>adoptAsDefault: (Default is Undeclared)

ZnSingleThreadedServer class>>initialize (Default is Undeclared)

ZnSingleThreadedServer class>>default (Default is Undeclared)

ZnSingleThreadedServer class>>stopDefault (Default is Undeclared)

ZnSingleThreadedServer class>>stopDefault (Default is Undeclared)

ZnSingleThreadedServer class>>stopDefault (Default is Undeclared)

ZnSingleThreadedServer class>>defaultOn: (Default is Undeclared)

ZnSingleThreadedServer class>>defaultOn: (Default is Undeclared)

ZnSingleThreadedServer class>>defaultOn: (Default is Undeclared)

Loaded -> Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.474 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.245 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Zodiac-SvenVanCaekenberghe.44 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
Loaded -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.9 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
...finished 2.9.2

(The Undeclared references are eventually resolved).

The code you mentioned is present in the image. Unit tests (apart from one) are green.

===
Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 14 March 2018, 2:08:47.155993 pm
UUID: 9c55f9cf-c023-0d00-9b4a-76f3014de7ca
Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.14
===

Sven

> On 6 Jul 2018, at 12:50, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bump. I wonder nobody sees the problem. Or do I misunderstand there is something wrong in pharo?
>
> Norbert
>
>> Am 05.07.2018 um 09:09 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Ok,
>>
>> I think I’ve found something. If you look at the screenshot (that is my image from jenkins, 6.1 with my code loaded and that throw the error) you can see that Zinc-FileSystem.15 is already loaded. But the Author gives the hint that this was loaded by the image integrator. And it differs from the .15 from Sven’s repo. Exactly the difference that could cause my error. I’m not sure if metacello upgrades only packages that have a higher version number. But that would be the explanation why it doesn’t work for me. I checked it by download a fresh 6.1 image and the situation is the same here.
>> So reproducing the problem should be as easy as creating a baseline that loads zinc 2.9.2 and later something from github. My case was that in the first step the project code was loaded in the image including zinc 2.9.2. That image was saved and on the next invocation it loads the test code and parasol was the first dependency to load from github and it failed.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> <Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-05 um 08.59.10.png>

>>> I would have, yes. But as you have discovered, the problem may lie with ZnFileSystemUtils (although I would have expected that package to be updated along with Zinc).
>>>
>>> Max

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

NorbertHartl
Sven,

I use Metacello and that seems to be different in behaviour. I prepared the case for you. What I did

- save the attachment of this mail into a clean directory and open a terminal there

$> unzip baseline-of-zincproblem.zip
$> curl get.pharo.org/64/61 | bash
$> /Applications/Pharo64.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo ./Pharo.image eval „Metacello new repository: '<a href="filetree://src" class="">filetree://src'; baseline: 'ZincProblem'; load"

Look at ZnClient>>#downloadEntityTo:

Norbert

Am 06.07.2018 um 13:19 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:

[...]

baseline-of-zincproblem.zip (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

NorbertHartl
Can anyone explain how zinc is managed? The package Zinc-FileSystem in pharo 6.1 is

Name: Zinc-FileSystem-TheIntegrator.15
Author: TheIntegrator
Time: 15 March 2017, 1:16:56.199425 pm
UUID: b9684fa8-2507-0d00-a4da-a21207d152a4
Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-HenrikNergaard.14

19838 ZnMonticelloServerDelegate>>#repositoryListing sends self self

In Sven’s repo there is

Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.14
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 14 March 2018, 11:29:06.12468 am
UUID: 885ce694-be23-0d00-a4f2-9f24027c8ee7
Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-GitHub.1520938892, Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.13

tracking pharo 7 changes

and

Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 14 March 2018, 2:08:47.155993 pm
UUID: 9c55f9cf-c023-0d00-9b4a-76f3014de7ca
Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.14

patch to dynamically work on older pharo versions

How do this packages relate?

Norbert

Am 06.07.2018 um 16:34 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Obviously something went wrong somewhere, but I cannot see what exactly. It is a while ago, and integration processes have been in flux.

Zinc is being developed in its own repo(s), but sometimes changes are made in the main Pharo repo that get copied back upstream. From time to time, Zinc itself is updated in Pharo itself.

If Zinc-FileSystem-TheIntegrator.15 is indeed different from Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15 then the best solution would be to merge them and create a newer, more correct version.

> [...]
>>>
>>> Loaded -> Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.474 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
>>> Loaded -> Zinc-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.245 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
>>> Loaded -> Zinc-Zodiac-SvenVanCaekenberghe.44 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
>>> Loaded -> Zinc-Resource-Meta-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.9 --- http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents --- cache
>>> ...finished 2.9.2
>>>
>>> (The Undeclared references are eventually resolved).
>>>
>>> The code you mentioned is present in the image. Unit tests (apart from one) are green.
>>>
>>> ===
>>> Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15
>>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>>> Time: 14 March 2018, 2:08:47.155993 pm
>>> UUID: 9c55f9cf-c023-0d00-9b4a-76f3014de7ca
>>> Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.14

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

NorbertHartl

> Am 07.07.2018 um 12:53 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>
> Obviously something went wrong somewhere, but I cannot see what exactly. It is a while ago, and integration processes have been in flux.
>
> Zinc is being developed in its own repo(s), but sometimes changes are made in the main Pharo repo that get copied back upstream. From time to time, Zinc itself is updated in Pharo itself.
>
> If Zinc-FileSystem-TheIntegrator.15 is indeed different from Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15 then the best solution would be to merge them and create a newer, more correct version.

Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.

I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.

I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it step by step.

Norbert

>> On 7 Jul 2018, at 12:29, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone explain how zinc is managed? The package Zinc-FileSystem in pharo 6.1 is
>>
>> Name: Zinc-FileSystem-TheIntegrator.15
>> Author: TheIntegrator
>> Time: 15 March 2017, 1:16:56.199425 pm
>> UUID: b9684fa8-2507-0d00-a4da-a21207d152a4
>> Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-HenrikNergaard.14
>>
>> 19838 ZnMonticelloServerDelegate>>#repositoryListing sends self self
>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19838
>>

>> In Sven’s repo there is
>>
>> Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.14
>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>> Time: 14 March 2018, 11:29:06.12468 am
>> UUID: 885ce694-be23-0d00-a4f2-9f24027c8ee7
>> Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-GitHub.1520938892, Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.13
>>
>> tracking pharo 7 changes
>>
>> and
>>
>> Name: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.15
>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>> Time: 14 March 2018, 2:08:47.155993 pm
>> UUID: 9c55f9cf-c023-0d00-9b4a-76f3014de7ca
>> Ancestors: Zinc-FileSystem-SvenVanCaekenberghe.14
>>
>> patch to dynamically work on older pharo versions
>>
>> How do this packages relate?
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> Am 06.07.2018 um 16:34 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Sven,
>>>
>>> I use Metacello and that seems to be different in behaviour. I prepared the case for you. What I did
>>>
>>> - save the attachment of this mail into a clean directory and open a terminal there
>>>
>>> $> unzip baseline-of-zincproblem.zip
>>> $> curl get.pharo.org/64/61 | bash
>>> $> /Applications/Pharo64.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo ./Pharo.image eval „Metacello new repository: 'filetree://src'; baseline: 'ZincProblem'; load"
>>>
>>> Look at ZnClient>>#downloadEntityTo:
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>>
>>> <baseline-of-zincproblem.zip>

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

CyrilFerlicot

Need to investigate more. There are two .15 versions but there is 1 year in between (if you didn’t notice TheIntegratior.15 is from 2017). Just want to have more context information because I can only see that this is strange but lacking insight.

I’m trying to figure out why it does not update Zinc-FileSystem. No matter what I do I cannot get Metacello to load the newer package. That would fix the issue because I’m loading 2.9.2 which should have Zinc-FileSystem-SVC.15 and not stay on the one included in the image.

I think this is important for everyone that has a product based on 6.1 and that want to migrate someday to pharo7. This way it is impossible to do it step by step.

If there is a package .15 in the image and a package .15 in the repo, I think Metacello will not update because it rely on the numbers to know when to update. If it find a .15 and currently have a .15 I think Metacello will think they are at the same version.

Norbert

Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

NorbertHartl
Really? I thought the same but then I didn’t believe it works like that.

Anyway this would be very easy to solve. We just need to ask Sven if he is fine with doing an empty .16 version for Zinc-FileSystem and does an in-place version reset of 2.9.2 or a new 2.9.3. I’m not fully convinced that will solve it but the cost won’t be very high.

Norbert

Am 07.07.2018 um 13:22 schrieb Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]>:

[...]

https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Problem with zinc 2.9.2

NorbertHartl
With the help of Esteban I got one step further. If I do

MCWorkingCopy managersForClass: ZnFileSystemUtils do: [ :each | each ancestry initialize ]

before loading my project it updates Zinc-FileSystem as well. Sadly it still does not work for me because I get

...RETRY->BaselineOfParasol
...RETRY->BaselineOfParasolError: can't find EOCD position

and I don’t know why. zip file is downloaded from github and present but it fails and only on my jenkins on linux. On my Mac this works.

I try a few things but then I’m back on pharo6.1 for the time being :(

Norbert

Am 07.07.2018 um 13:28 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

[...]

This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.

Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).

Cheers,
Max

On 9 Jul 2018, at 17:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:

[...]

Hi Max,

Am 09.07.2018 um 18:18 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:

Hi Norbert,

This is a bit of a guess, but it's possible that the archive that is downloaded from github is in Zip64 format and that the libraries for extracting Zip64 are missing on your Linux. That would of course contradict the experience that the same operation appears to work in 6.1.

to be honest I don’t know what Zip64 format is. I thought the Zip classes are pure smalltalk for unpacking.

Try extracting the archive manually on your Linux machine with the same method that Metacello uses (I assume, Metacello uses the ZipPlugin, which will probably use the system libraries).

I have no ZipPlugin as library in any of my vms.

But there are zips downloaded and unpacked. I start the image the first time loading all the code of my project. Then it is saved, copied to a new name and reopened to load the tests and then it fails. I did try to load the tests in the first run and then it works.

I’m running out of ideas

thanks,

Norbert

[...]

I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.

I'd debug it myself but I can't run VirtualBox at the moment because I'm on the macOS beta and it won't start...

Max

Am 09.07.2018 um 19:10 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:

I checked the Parasol Archive and it does not appear to be in Zip64 format (Metacello uses ZipArchive which can't cope with Zip64 but ZipArchive can read the Parasol zip). So my next guess is that there's either a problem with Metacello or Pharo in the way that ZipArchive is used (e.g. endianness problem or non-binary stream data). It would therefore be helpful to find out what happens in ZipArchive>>readFrom:, i.e. what kind of stream is passed / opened, is it binary, does the file exist and is it still the correct file.

I couldn’t see anything obvious. The file in the debug message exists, it is a readable zip file. The way Metacello uses it it is a StandardFileStream. It switches it to binary in the code.
But the only difference between a working and non-working build is the upgrade to zinc 2.9.2.

Norbert