Problem worth working on

Alexandre Bergel
Hi!

Since some of you are working on remodularizing code, maybe the following may inspire you.

In Mondrian, the tests are badly structured. I actually wrote a large part of them as a way for me to understand the initial version of Mondrian, back in 2007-2008. Most of the tests are contained in the class MOViewRendererTest. They actually contain a lot of duplicated scenario (not really code): I open a canvas, put some nodes and edges, run the layout...

I would like to cut this class into smaller unit tests. Fixture will have to be found for each new unit tests. How to structure them? Along the class hierarchy? Along the features of Mondrian? Along the features commonly used in Mondrian scripts (which is how they are roughly structured)?

I can remodularize my tests and come up with a satisfactory design in a couple of hours. But maybe someone worked on a tool that would help me on this.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Problem worth working on

Stéphane Ducasse
yes this is a nice case :)

Stef

On Dec 30, 2010, at 7:40 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Since some of you are working on remodularizing code, maybe the following may inspire you.
>
> In Mondrian, the tests are badly structured. I actually wrote a large part of them as a way for me to understand the initial version of Mondrian, back in 2007-2008. Most of the tests are contained in the class MOViewRendererTest. They actually contain a lot of duplicated scenario (not really code): I open a canvas, put some nodes and edges, run the layout...
>
> I would like to cut this class into smaller unit tests. Fixture will have to be found for each new unit tests. How to structure them? Along the class hierarchy? Along the features of Mondrian? Along the features commonly used in Mondrian scripts (which is how they are roughly structured)?
>
> I can remodularize my tests and come up with a satisfactory design in a couple of hours. But maybe someone worked on a tool that would help me on this.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Re: Problem worth working on

Zhe-Xi Lim
Alexandre Bergel wrote
I can remodularize my tests and come up with a satisfactory design in a couple of hours. But maybe someone worked on a tool that would help me on this.
Yes, maybe my final year project: Search Engine in Smalltalk for Smalltalk Codes could help.

The search engine can retrieve information on source codes in smalltalk image and list out the best results for queries entered. Maybe you can use that search tool to get what is redundant in Mondrian.

Hopefully the search engine is powerful enough to bring easiness to Smalltalk users.

Regards,
Zhe-Xi

Re: Problem worth working on

Alexandre Bergel
That really sounds exciting.
For a given piece of code, I would like to search how people use it, how they test it, how they extend it, ...

:-)
Alexandre

On 30 Dec 2010, at 16:12, Zhe-Xi Lim wrote:

> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>

>> I can remodularize my tests and come up with a satisfactory design in a
>> couple of hours. But maybe someone worked on a tool that would help me on
>> this.
>>

> Yes, maybe my final year project: Search Engine in Smalltalk for Smalltalk
> Codes could help.
>
> The search engine can retrieve information on source codes in smalltalk
> image and list out the best results for queries entered. Maybe you can use
> that search tool to get what is redundant in Mondrian.
>
> Hopefully the search engine is powerful enough to bring easiness to
> Smalltalk users.
>

> Regards,
> Zhe-Xi

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Problem worth working on

I think that using FCA with sender or access you should get testmethods grouped by users or the inverse.

Stef

On Dec 30, 2010, at 7:40 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Since some of you are working on remodularizing code, maybe the following may inspire you.
>
> In Mondrian, the tests are badly structured. I actually wrote a large part of them as a way for me to understand the initial version of Mondrian, back in 2007-2008. Most of the tests are contained in the class MOViewRendererTest. They actually contain a lot of duplicated scenario (not really code): I open a canvas, put some nodes and edges, run the layout...
>
> I would like to cut this class into smaller unit tests. Fixture will have to be found for each new unit tests. How to structure them? Along the class hierarchy? Along the features of Mondrian? Along the features commonly used in Mondrian scripts (which is how they are roughly structured)?
>
> I can remodularize my tests and come up with a satisfactory design in a couple of hours. But maybe someone worked on a tool that would help me on this.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Re: Problem worth working on

Tudor Girba

Is your engine available?

Cheers,
Doru

On 30 Dec 2010, at 20:12, Zhe-Xi Lim wrote:

> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>

>> I can remodularize my tests and come up with a satisfactory design in a
>> couple of hours. But maybe someone worked on a tool that would help me on
>> this.
>>

> Yes, maybe my final year project: Search Engine in Smalltalk for Smalltalk
> Codes could help.
>
> The search engine can retrieve information on source codes in smalltalk
> image and list out the best results for queries entered. Maybe you can use
> that search tool to get what is redundant in Mondrian.
>
> Hopefully the search engine is powerful enough to bring easiness to
> Smalltalk users.
>

> Regards,
> Zhe-Xi

www.tudorgirba.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Re: Problem worth working on

Zhe-Xi Lim

Doru,

The development of the search engine is still in progress. Hopefully it can
be ready by May 2011.
I am doing it as my undergraduate's degree Final Year Project.
Thanks.

Regards,
Zhe-Xi

Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is your engine available?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 30 Dec 2010, at 20:12, Zhe-Xi Lim wrote:
>

>> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>>

>>> I can remodularize my tests and come up with a satisfactory design in a
>>> couple of hours. But maybe someone worked on a tool that would help me
>>> on
>>> this.
>>>

>> Yes, maybe my final year project: Search Engine in Smalltalk for
>> Smalltalk
>> Codes could help.
>>
>> The search engine can retrieve information on source codes in smalltalk
>> image and list out the best results for queries entered. Maybe you can
>> use
>> that search tool to get what is redundant in Mondrian.
>>
>> Hopefully the search engine is powerful enough to bring easiness to
>> Smalltalk users.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Zhe-Xi
>> --

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be
> done."

Re: Problem worth working on

Zhe-Xi Lim
Doru,

The development of the search engine is still in progress. Hopefully it can be ready by May 2011.
I am doing it as my undergraduate's degree Final Year Project.
Thanks.

Regards,
Zhe-Xi

Tudor Girba wrote
Hi,

Is your engine available?

Cheers,
Doru

On 30 Dec 2010, at 20:12, Zhe-Xi Lim wrote:

> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>

>> I can remodularize my tests and come up with a satisfactory design in a
>> couple of hours. But maybe someone worked on a tool that would help me on
>> this.
>>

> Yes, maybe my final year project: Search Engine in Smalltalk for Smalltalk
> Codes could help.
>
> The search engine can retrieve information on source codes in smalltalk
> image and list out the best results for queries entered. Maybe you can use
> that search tool to get what is redundant in Mondrian.
>
> Hopefully the search engine is powerful enough to bring easiness to
> Smalltalk users.
>

> Regards,
> Zhe-Xi

www.tudorgirba.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Re: Problem worth working on

Alexandre Bergel
Keep us informed

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 31 Dec 2010, at 03:49, Zhe-Xi Lim wrote:

> Doru,
>
> The development of the search engine is still in progress. Hopefully it can
> be ready by May 2011.
> I am doing it as my undergraduate's degree Final Year Project.
> Thanks.
>

> Regards,
> Zhe-Xi
>

> Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is your engine available?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> Yes, maybe my final year project: Search Engine in Smalltalk for
>>> Smalltalk
>>> Codes could help.
>>>
>>> The search engine can retrieve information on source codes in smalltalk
>>> image and list out the best results for queries entered. Maybe you can
>>> use
>>> that search tool to get what is redundant in Mondrian.
>>>
>>> Hopefully the search engine is powerful enough to bring easiness to
>>> Smalltalk users.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Zhe-Xi
>>> --
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be
>> done."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Problem worth working on

Hi Zhe-Xi Lim

in which university and research group are you working?

Stef

On Dec 31, 2010, at 5:47 AM, Zhe-Xi Lim wrote:

> Doru,
>
> The development of the search engine is still in progress. Hopefully it can
> be ready by May 2011.
> I am doing it as my undergraduate's degree Final Year Project.
> Thanks.
>

> Regards,
> Zhe-Xi
>

> Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is your engine available?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> Yes, maybe my final year project: Search Engine in Smalltalk for
>>> Smalltalk
>>> Codes could help.
>>>
>>> The search engine can retrieve information on source codes in smalltalk
>>> image and list out the best results for queries entered. Maybe you can
>>> use
>>> that search tool to get what is redundant in Mondrian.
>>>
>>> Hopefully the search engine is powerful enough to bring easiness to
>>> Smalltalk users.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Zhe-Xi
>>> --
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be
>> done."

Re: Problem worth working on

Zhe-Xi Lim
Alexendre,

No problem, will inform here when I have developed it. Thanks and stay tuned!

Regards,
Zhe-Xi

Alexandre Bergel wrote
Keep us informed

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 31 Dec 2010, at 03:49, Zhe-Xi Lim wrote:

> Doru,
>
> The development of the search engine is still in progress. Hopefully it can
> be ready by May 2011.
> I am doing it as my undergraduate's degree Final Year Project.
> Thanks.
>

> Regards,
> Zhe-Xi
>

> Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is your engine available?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> Yes, maybe my final year project: Search Engine in Smalltalk for
>>> Smalltalk
>>> Codes could help.
>>>
>>> The search engine can retrieve information on source codes in smalltalk
>>> image and list out the best results for queries entered. Maybe you can
>>> use
>>> that search tool to get what is redundant in Mondrian.
>>>
>>> Hopefully the search engine is powerful enough to bring easiness to
>>> Smalltalk users.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Zhe-Xi
>>> --
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be
>> done."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Problem worth working on

Zhe-Xi Lim
Hi Stephane,

I am currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering at Multimedia University, Malaysia.
I have immense interests in computer science and programming languages, therefore I am taking this project: Search Engine in Smalltalk for Smalltalk Codes.

My supervisor is Dr. Ian Chai at Multimedia University. I am also working under the guidance of Dr. Aik-Siong Koh.

I believe this project can be extended to a larger ones to build a global Smalltalk image and with this seach engine equipped with a kind of artificial intelligent, redundancy in Smalltalk codes could be minimized. Perhaps I need to continue my graduate studies on this topic.

Thanks.

Regards,
Zhe-Xi

Stéphane Ducasse wrote
Hi Zhe-Xi Lim

in which university and research group are you working?

Stef

On Dec 31, 2010, at 5:47 AM, Zhe-Xi Lim wrote:

> Doru,
>
> The development of the search engine is still in progress. Hopefully it can
> be ready by May 2011.
> I am doing it as my undergraduate's degree Final Year Project.
> Thanks.
>

> Regards,
> Zhe-Xi
>

> Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is your engine available?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> Yes, maybe my final year project: Search Engine in Smalltalk for
>>> Smalltalk
>>> Codes could help.
>>>
>>> The search engine can retrieve information on source codes in smalltalk
>>> image and list out the best results for queries entered. Maybe you can
>>> use
>>> that search tool to get what is redundant in Mondrian.
>>>
>>> Hopefully the search engine is powerful enough to bring easiness to
>>> Smalltalk users.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Zhe-Xi
>>> --
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be
>> done."

Re: Problem worth working on

Zhe-Xi Lim
This post was updated on .
Alexandre Bergel wrote
Keep us informed

Cheers,
Alexandre
Hi Alexandre,

The search engine is already done. But it's developed in Squeak. Hope you can take a look at it. It is now available in Squeak Source: StSearch

Thanks and Regards,
Zhe-Xi

Re: Problem worth working on

abergel
Hi!

Thanks for getting back to us.
I checked http://www.squeaksource.com/StGoogle.html and I got an "Error: "StGoogle.html" not found."

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 2 Apr 2011, at 15:11, Zhe-Xi Lim wrote:

> Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>> Keep us informed
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

> Hi Alexandre,
>
> The search engine is already done. But it's developed in Squeak. Hope you
> can take a look at it. It is now available in Squeak Source:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/StGoogle.html
> http://www.squeaksource.com/StGoogle.html
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Zhe-Xi

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Problem worth working on

Zhe-Xi Lim
Alexandre,

Sorry, I had move the project to http://www.squeaksource.com/StSearch.html. Please be informed.

I noticed that you are an expert in Smalltalk. You are my hero! Hope I can learn things from you.

Thanks.

Zhe-Xi

Alexandre Bergel-7 wrote
Hi!

Thanks for getting back to us.
I checked http://www.squeaksource.com/StGoogle.html and I got an "Error: "StGoogle.html" not found."

Cheers,
Alexandre

Re: Problem worth working on

abergel
> Sorry, I had move the project to  http://www.squeaksource.com/StSearch.html
> http://www.squeaksource.com/StSearch.html . Please be informed.

I have a deadline this Friday. I will have a look at it asap

Cheers,
Alexandre

> I noticed that you are an expert in Smalltalk. You are my hero! Hope I can
> learn things from you.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Zhe-Xi
>

> Alexandre Bergel-7 wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Thanks for getting back to us.
>> I checked http://www.squeaksource.com/StGoogle.html and I got an
>> "Error: "StGoogle.html" not found."
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Problem worth working on

abergel
I just gave a try.
Just a few comment:
- Can you add some tests to your project?
MessageSet subclass: #StSearchBrowser

- When I do "StSearchBrowser openStSearchBrowser" I get a "self halt".

- After the source code indexing, I get a does not understand for buildWindowWith:specs:

Having a configuration would be cool. Maybe you can use the MetacelloBrowser?

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 4 Apr 2011, at 10:58, Zhe-Xi Lim wrote:

> Alexandre,
>
> Sorry, I had move the project to  http://www.squeaksource.com/StSearch.html
> http://www.squeaksource.com/StSearch.html . Please be informed.
>
> I noticed that you are an expert in Smalltalk. You are my hero! Hope I can
> learn things from you.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Zhe-Xi
>

> Alexandre Bergel-7 wrote: