Problems creating a fresh trunk image (on Mac)

bpi

Problems creating a fresh trunk image (on Mac)

bpi
Dear Squeakers,

I want to make myself a pristine trunk image and ran into a problem. I am on a Mac running OS X El Capitan 10.11.5. Here is what I did:

1. Created a new directory
2. Downloaded the latest stable CogSpur VM [1]
3. Downloaded the latest sources file [2]
4. Downloaded Squeak5.1-15113 image [3]
5. Dragged the image onto the VM
6. Opened a transcript
7. Did „Update Squeak“ from the Squeak menu

The image updates to #16084 but then a debugger opens: MessageNotUnderstood: WeakArray>>hand

When I click on some of the stack frames, I get syntax errors and the code looks garbled.

I tried it three times. The same debugger comes always up, however the code is garbled in a different way. Looks like sources or changes file corruption, no?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is there a better way to create a current trunk image?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Re: Problems creating a fresh trunk image (on Mac)

Chris Muller-3
I didn't redownload the sources or Squeak5.1-15113 image but, I tried with the ones I had previously downloaded (should be the same right?).

I do get the WeakArray>>#hand error, which I think is expected due to the intensity of the refactoring Marcel did.  You can just close it, however, I don't think you should not be getting the garbled code.  I am able to click on the stack frames and see the code normally...

Anyone else able to reproduce Bernhards issue?

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

marcel.taeumel
Chris Muller-3 wrote
Also, I guess I'm still using VM 3692....  but I wouldn't think it would be
a vm issue..

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I didn't redownload the sources or Squeak5.1-15113 image but, I tried with
> the ones I had previously downloaded (should be the same right?).
>
> I do get the WeakArray>>#hand error, which I think is expected due to the
> intensity of the refactoring Marcel did.  You can just close it, however, I
> don't think you should not be getting the garbled code.  I am able to click
> on the stack frames and see the code normally...
>
> Anyone else able to reproduce Bernhards issue?
>

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Squeakers,
>>
>> I want to make myself a pristine trunk image and ran into a problem. I am
>> on a Mac running OS X El Capitan 10.11.5. Here is what I did:
>>
>> 1. Created a new directory
>> 2. Downloaded the latest stable CogSpur VM [1]
>> 3. Downloaded the latest sources file [2]
>> 4. Downloaded Squeak5.1-15113 image [3]
>> 5. Dragged the image onto the VM
>> 6. Opened a transcript
>> 7. Did „Update Squeak“ from the Squeak menu
>>
>> The image updates to #16084 but then a debugger
>> opens: MessageNotUnderstood: WeakArray>>hand
>>
>> When I click on some of the stack frames, I get syntax errors and the
>> code looks garbled.
>>
>> I tried it three times. The same debugger comes always up, however the
>> code is garbled in a different way. Looks like sources or changes file
>> corruption, no?
>>
>> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Is there a better way to create a current trunk image?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bernhard
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3732/CogSpur.app-16.21.3732.tgz
>> [2] http://ftp.squeak.org/5.0/SqueakV50.sources.zip
>> [3] http://ftp.squeak.org/5.1alpha/Squeak5.1-15113.zip

PastedGraphic-1.png (64K) <http://forum.world.st/attachment/4904605/0/PastedGraphic-1.png>
Hi, there.

Just a few days ago, I tried to update 5.1alpha #15113. It works -- except for this hand/event-error, which is due to not being able to update methods in execution after code/class changes.

That syntax error, though, is very strange. I did not experience that, yet.

Best,
Marcel
bpi

Re: Problems creating a fresh trunk image (on Mac)

bpi
Hi Chris, hi Marcel,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. Now it works for me as well. :-/ I have tried to reproduce yesterdays behavior several times but so far failed. (I do have one of yesterday’s failed images with the syntax error, so I was not dreaming.)

Anyway, I now have an up-to-date trunk image, which is great!

Thanks again, and sorry for the trouble.

Cheers,
Bernhard

> Am 03.07.2016 um 09:19 schrieb marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]>:
>
> Chris Muller-3 wrote
>> Also, I guess I'm still using VM 3692....  but I wouldn't think it would
>> be
>> a vm issue..
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Chris Muller &lt;
>
>> asqueaker@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't redownload the sources or Squeak5.1-15113 image but, I tried
>>> with
>>> the ones I had previously downloaded (should be the same right?).
>>>
>>> I do get the WeakArray>>#hand error, which I think is expected due to the
>>> intensity of the refactoring Marcel did.  You can just close it, however,
>>> don't think you should not be getting the garbled code.  I am able to
>>> click
>>> on the stack frames and see the code normally...
>>>
>>> Anyone else able to reproduce Bernhards issue?
>>>

>>> On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Bernhard Pieber &lt;
>
>> bernhard@
>
>> &gt;

>> PastedGraphic-1.png (64K)
>> &lt;http://forum.world.st/attachment/4904605/0/PastedGraphic-1.png&gt;
>
> Hi, there.
>
> Just a few days ago, I tried to update 5.1alpha #15113. It works -- except
> for this hand/event-error, which is due to not being able to update methods
> in execution after code/class changes.
>
> That syntax error, though, is very strange. I did not experience that, yet.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Problems creating a fresh trunk image (on Mac)

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Jul 03, 2016 at 12:19:47AM -0700, marcel.taeumel wrote:

> Chris Muller-3 wrote
> > Also, I guess I'm still using VM 3692....  but I wouldn't think it would
> > be
> > a vm issue..
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Chris Muller &lt;
>
> > asqueaker@
>
> > &gt; wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't redownload the sources or Squeak5.1-15113 image but, I tried
> >> with
> >> the ones I had previously downloaded (should be the same right?).
> >>
> >> I do get the WeakArray>>#hand error, which I think is expected due to the
> >> intensity of the refactoring Marcel did.  You can just close it, however,
> >> don't think you should not be getting the garbled code.  I am able to
> >> click
> >> on the stack frames and see the code normally...
> >>
> >> Anyone else able to reproduce Bernhards issue?
> >>

> >> On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Bernhard Pieber &lt;
>
> > bernhard@
>
> > &gt;

> > PastedGraphic-1.png (64K)
> > &lt;http://forum.world.st/attachment/4904605/0/PastedGraphic-1.png&gt;
>
> Hi, there.
>
> Just a few days ago, I tried to update 5.1alpha #15113. It works -- except
> for this hand/event-error, which is due to not being able to update methods
> in execution after code/class changes.
>
> That syntax error, though, is very strange. I did not experience that, yet.

It does look like a problem with either the changes file or the sources
file. Sometimes this can happen if zip file is unpacked with a zip
utility that thinks that the file is supposed to be a "text" file, so
adds line separator characters. I think has happened to people on Mac
in the past, although I do not remember the solution.

Dave