Problems loading Squeak Map

12

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Dale
The 2.3.1 one click is for all intents and purposes the same as the 2.4 one click (which has been removed from the download site ... 2.4 won't actually be released for a couple of months), James Foster should be able to answer the questions about differing screen shots ...

Dale
----- "Frank Church" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I installed GemTools-2.3.1-app image earlier, before the Los Boquitas
| tutorial was completed. When I log into glass I the screen display
| does not match those in the tutorials screenshots.
|
| I just checked the tutorial again and it refers to a Gemstone 2.4
| tools zip file at seaside.gemstone.com/tutorials which is isn't there
| now and that is probably the source of my confusion..
|
| I guess I have to wait a while.
|
| Thanks
|
| Frank
|
| 2009/6/16 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
| > Frank,
| >
| > For GemTools, I recommend that you use the GemTools 2.3.1 Preview
| from the GLASS downloads page[1]. It's an older Pharo image, but it is
| known to work.
| >
| > The current Pharo versions are moving so fast that I have not tried
| to keep up with them. When the pace of change slows down a bit, we
| will produce a new one-click as well as instructions for rolling your
| own GemTools.
| >
| > Dale
| >
| > [1] http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html
| >
| > ----- "Frank Church" <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > | When I get round to installing the GemTools, the first item it
| starts
| > | downloading is FFI browser 3.9.1 and it halts with the Error -
| > | MessageNotUnderstood MimeType->IndexOf,
| > |
| > | Prior to that is a call to HttpUrl normalizeContents and a few
| > | others.
| > |
| > |

| > | >> |instClass|
| 'Installer'.
| > | Smalltalk

| > | <[hidden email]>

| 'Unknown

| additional

| or
| > | in some

| > |

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/6/16 Frank Church <[hidden email]>
If I want to understand the FFI Browser 3.9.1 by hand, how would I go about it? I just used the ScriptLoader instFFI and the FFI was installed.

How can I check that the right item was installed? Is there a way to check that the version installed is the same as the one listed in the Universe Browser, ie that it is the same package as FFI Browser 3.9.1

The Resources/package-cache directory now holds FFI-Kernel-ar.9.mcz so I guess it must be the right one.

What is FFI Browser? Do you mean just FFI ? FFI is foreign function interface an it is used to call C code from Squeak.

I don't know what do you mean for "FFI Browser"

Mariano

2009/6/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
What Pharo version are you using? Perhaps something related to this: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=510

What about installing latest FFI from MC instead of Universe? To do this, just evaluate ScriptLoader loadFFI

Universe 3.9.1 uses FFI-Kernel-ar.8.mcz and the latest is FFI-Kernel-ar.9.mcz

Anyway I know nothing about GemTools so perhaps I am saying nonsense things.

Best,

Mariano

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I get round to installing the GemTools, the first item it starts
downloading is FFI browser 3.9.1 and it halts with the Error -
MessageNotUnderstood MimeType->IndexOf,

Prior to that is a call to HttpUrl normalizeContents and a few others.

2009/6/16 Frank Church <[hidden email]>:
> Worked first time!!
>
> Pretty cool!!
>
> 2009/6/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> You can do this:
>>
>> |instClass|
>> instClass := Smalltalk at: #Installer ifAbsent: [ScriptLoader
>> loadLatestPackage: 'Installer-Core' fromSqueaksource: 'Installer'. Smalltalk
>> at: #Installer].
>> instClass ss
>>        project: 'XMLSupport';
>>        install: 'XML-Parser'.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Frank Church <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> When I type the command and 'do-it' I get the error : 'Unknown
>>> variable Install, please correct or cancel'
>>>
>>> Is it already built into Pharo or does it require an additional
>>> package to be installed?

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Frank Church-3
It is my mistake, it is simply FFI 3.9.1 listed in the GemTools dependencies.

Yhen you install a package automatically, how do you find out which
version was installed?

2009/6/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/6/16 Frank Church <[hidden email]>
>>
>> If I want to understand the FFI Browser 3.9.1 by hand, how would I go
>> about it? I just used the ScriptLoader instFFI and the FFI was installed.
>>
>> How can I check that the right item was installed? Is there a way to check
>> that the version installed is the same as the one listed in the Universe
>> Browser, ie that it is the same package as FFI Browser 3.9.1
>>
>> The Resources/package-cache directory now holds FFI-Kernel-ar.9.mcz so I
>> guess it must be the right one.
>

> What is FFI Browser? Do you mean just FFI ? FFI is foreign function
> interface an it is used to call C code from Squeak.
>
> I don't know what do you mean for "FFI Browser"
>

> Mariano
>

>> 2009/6/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> What Pharo version are you using? Perhaps something related to this:
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=510
>>>
>>> What about installing latest FFI from MC instead of Universe? To do this,
>>> just evaluate ScriptLoader loadFFI
>>>
>>> Universe 3.9.1 uses FFI-Kernel-ar.8.mcz and the latest is
>>> FFI-Kernel-ar.9.mcz
>>>
>>> Anyway I know nothing about GemTools so perhaps I am saying nonsense
>>> things.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Mariano

Re: Problems loading Squeak Map

Dale
Frank,

If I'm not mistaken the Package Universe will load the latest version of a dependent package ... which can be problematic, if your code doesn't work with the latest version:)

I don't believe that issues with FFI are related to the version of the Smalltalk code. It is more likely that FFI problems are related to the vm that you are using and which platform you are on. FFI requires vm mods to work (either a plugin or explicit code) and those mods are invariably os-specific.

Early versions of the closure vm may not have supported FFI on all (or any platforms). I seem to recall running into problems in the early days of the closure vm, but at that time there were other issues as well and I haven't revisited FFI since then.

If you get past the FFI hurdle, I anticipate that GemTools may run into issues related to the version of OmniBrowser being used in the latest Pharo. GemTools can be sensitive to OmniBrowser changes because there is a specific version of OmniBrowser running in GemStone that communicates with the OmniBrowser running in Pharo.

We created the one click GemTools images in an attempt to avoid dealing with the problems of version skew.

In the longer term we anticipate that we'll be able to make it possible to roll your own GemTools image, but until then, the one-click is your best bet.

Hope this helps,

12