Problems with Amber on Ubuntu and node 0.10.7

Problems with Amber on Ubuntu and node 0.10.7

Andy Burnett
I have just installed amber on a new Ubuntu vm hosted at digitalocean.  It fires up and works correctly when accessed at 127.0.0.1:4000 - via a vnc client.  However, when I try to access the system via its external ip, I can't connect.

Digitalocean are not blocking that port, so is there something I need to configure to tell nodejs to listen to a different IP number?

Cheers

Re: Problems with Amber on Ubuntu and node 0.10.7

Nicolas Petton
this is weird, I have to try it, because last time I tested IEs on VM it was working fine.

Nico
On May 23, 2013, at 5:22 PM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have just installed amber on a new Ubuntu vm hosted at digitalocean.  It fires up and works correctly when accessed at 127.0.0.1:4000 - via a vnc client.  However, when I try to access the system via its external ip, I can't connect.

Digitalocean are not blocking that port, so is there something I need to configure to tell nodejs to listen to a different IP number?

Cheers

Re: Problems with Amber on Ubuntu and node 0.10.7

Manfred Kröhnert
Hello Andy,

you have to start the server with the --host  argument like in ./bin/server --host 0.0.0.0 if you want to listen on any IP address.
By default the server now only listens on localhost for security reasons.

Best,
Manfred

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

philippeback
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Accessing-amber-from-elsewhere-than-localhost

Now documented :-)

Please add whatever recipe you guys have in stock.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Phil for starting this.

What I was thinking about is that it would be cool to have an Amber application for this which can ship with the examples or the core and which could also be run on the main website.

Any takers? :-)

Best,
Manfred

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I am currently starting writing an application with:

Amber
Pharo 2.0
Seaside 3.1
Seaside-REST

and this gives me my share of new things to make work.

The SmalltalkHub code is nice and all but is beyond my grasp at the moment, even if I look at it for clues at times.

In this config, I want to solve the cross domain ajax request situation as Amber runs with node.js on one port and Pharo/Seaside runs on another one.

I also want to use Kaliningrad to save the Amber packages in Monticello.

Phil