Problems with Czech accented characters

Martin Polák
Hi there,
        in older version of Pharo (pharo1.0-10487-BETAdev09.10.4) I was able
to type Czech acc. chars (like ěščřžýáíé) without problems.
But in most recent image, there is problem - instead of these
characters, I see only '?'. What has changed? In the older version,
there is 'Fonts' folder (none in recent version), so I suppose, that
font handling is now different. Importing DejaVu Czech font into
recent image doesn't help. Any suggestiions what I should do?

Thanks,
Martin

Re: Problems with Czech accented characters

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 15.12.2009 18:40, "M. Polák" wrote:

> Hi there,
> in older version of Pharo (pharo1.0-10487-BETAdev09.10.4) I was able
> to type Czech acc. chars (like ěščřžýáíé) without problems.
> But in most recent image, there is problem - instead of these
> characters, I see only '?'. What has changed? In the older version,
> there is 'Fonts' folder (none in recent version), so I suppose, that
> font handling is now different. Importing DejaVu Czech font into
> recent image doesn't help. Any suggestiions what I should do?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin
The standard font in Pharo covers the latin-15 character set.
Which means it should be able to display áíé, with a Unicode conversion
table.
However, all input outside ascii range is in Unicode, so to display
those you need to
- Import a Font which includes them. (Like the DejaVu FT-font included
previously)
- Change the fonts used to the one you know support Czech characters
from the world rightclick menu, in System -> Preferences -> System fonts.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Problems with Czech accented characters

Martin Polák
> ..., so to display
> those you need to
> - Import a Font which includes them. (Like the DejaVu FT-font included
> previously)
> - Change the fonts used to the one you know support Czech characters
> from the world rightclick menu, in System -> Preferences -> System
> fonts.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

I tried it exactly as you described it, but with no luck. Characters
only displayed were 'áíý'. Instead of other chars I see only '?'. In
version, where fonts are outside image, everything works. I have no
idea.

Cheers,
Martin

Re: Problems with Czech accented characters

csrabak
I'm puzzled: did you install the new environment in a folder which don't have the subfolder "fonts"?

That being so, how did you 'import' Dejavu Czech font, then?

If you go to System->Preferences->Standard System Fonts->list font... do you see the Czech letters in bottom part of window?

On 15.12.2009 19:44, Martin Polák wrote:

>> ..., so to display
>> those you need to
>> - Import a Font which includes them. (Like the DejaVu FT-font included
>> previously)
>> - Change the fonts used to the one you know support Czech characters
>> from the world rightclick menu, in System ->  Preferences ->  System
>> fonts.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Henry
>>
> I tried it exactly as you described it, but with no luck. Characters
> only displayed were 'áíý'. Instead of other chars I see only '?'. In
> version, where fonts are outside image, everything works. I have no
> idea.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Hmmm, strange...
Did you try typing them in another workspace after changing fonts?
The settings only apply to newly opened windows.
To me, copy-pasting the string in a workspace before changing Code font,
I get:
?????ýáíé
then opening a workspace afterwards, and copying the same characters, I see:
ěščřžýáíé

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Problems with Czech accented characters

Martin Polák
Interesting...I copied 'Fonts' folder from older Pharo dist. to new
one and now I can see all system fonts installed on my Mac. So I have
chosen Monaco font for code and all characters were displayed
correctly. So problem is gone, I hope. Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Martin

Re: Problems with Czech accented characters

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks for your feedback.

Stef

On Dec 15, 2009, at 8:26 PM, Martin Polák wrote:

> Interesting...I copied 'Fonts' folder from older Pharo dist. to new
> one and now I can see all system fonts installed on my Mac. So I have
> chosen Monaco font for code and all characters were displayed
> correctly. So problem is gone, I hope. Thanks for your time.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Re: Problems with Czech accented characters

Mariano Martinez Peck
I think this stuff of encoding is important. Maybe we should ask an entry in F.A.Q saying something like this:

"
When I type certain characters a '?' is displayed instead of the real problem.

The standard font in Pharo covers the latin-15 character set. Which means it should be able to display áíé, with a Unicode conversion
table. However, all input outside ascii range is in Unicode, so to display those you need to
- Import a Font which includes them. (Like the DejaVu FT-font included
previously)
- Change the fonts used to the one you know support those characters
from the world right click menu, in System -> Preferences -> System fonts.
"

What do you think?

Cheers,

Mariano

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your feedback.

Stef

On Dec 15, 2009, at 8:26 PM, Martin Polák wrote:

> Interesting...I copied 'Fonts' folder from older Pharo dist. to new
> one and now I can see all system fonts installed on my Mac. So I have
> chosen Monaco font for code and all characters were displayed
> correctly. So problem is gone, I hope. Thanks for your time.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Re: Problems with Czech accented characters

Stéphane Ducasse
go!

On Dec 16, 2009, at 9:02 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I think this stuff of encoding is important. Maybe we should ask an entry in F.A.Q saying something like this:
>
> "
> When I type certain characters a '?' is displayed instead of the real problem.
>
> The standard font in Pharo covers the latin-15 character set. Which means it should be able to display áíé, with a Unicode conversion
> table. However, all input outside ascii range is in Unicode, so to display those you need to
> - Import a Font which includes them. (Like the DejaVu FT-font included
> previously)
> - Change the fonts used to the one you know support those characters
> from the world right click menu, in System -> Preferences -> System fonts.
> "
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Stef
>
> On Dec 15, 2009, at 8:26 PM, Martin Polák wrote:
>
> > Interesting...I copied 'Fonts' folder from older Pharo dist. to new
> > one and now I can see all system fonts installed on my Mac. So I have
> > chosen Monaco font for code and all characters were displayed
> > correctly. So problem is gone, I hope. Thanks for your time.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Martin

Re: Problems with Czech accented characters

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
go!

I don't have access to the website :(

Adrian ?

On Dec 16, 2009, at 9:02 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I think this stuff of encoding is important. Maybe we should ask an entry in F.A.Q saying something like this:
>
> "
> When I type certain characters a '?' is displayed instead of the real problem.
>
> The standard font in Pharo covers the latin-15 character set. Which means it should be able to display áíé, with a Unicode conversion
> table. However, all input outside ascii range is in Unicode, so to display those you need to
> - Import a Font which includes them. (Like the DejaVu FT-font included
> previously)
> - Change the fonts used to the one you know support those characters
> from the world right click menu, in System -> Preferences -> System fonts.
> "
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mariano
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Stef
>
> On Dec 15, 2009, at 8:26 PM, Martin Polák wrote:
>
> > Interesting...I copied 'Fonts' folder from older Pharo dist. to new
> > one and now I can see all system fonts installed on my Mac. So I have
> > chosen Monaco font for code and all characters were displayed
> > correctly. So problem is gone, I hope. Thanks for your time.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Martin

Re: Problems with Czech accented characters

Adrian Lienhard
I added an entry to the FAQ.

Adrian

On 15.12.2009, at 20:33, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Stef

Hi,
        I now fully understand problem with fonts in Pharo (hope so). It is
not needed to copy fonts from previous versions of Pharo. It is only
necessary to open 'System' -> 'Preferences' -> 'System fonts' and
select category. In dialog press 'Update' and Freetype re-read all
fonts installed on system. After restarting Pharo, there is all that
fonts in font select dialog and man can select font with appropriate
characters (for example wirh Czech chars in my case). I have tried
this on Windows and Mac - everything worked fine. I have currently no
access to Linux box, but suppose to work that as well.

On 17.12.2009 20:23, Martin Polák wrote:

> On 15.12.2009, at 20:33, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> Thanks for your feedback.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> Hi,
> I now fully understand problem with fonts in Pharo (hope so). It is
> not needed to copy fonts from previous versions of Pharo. It is only
> necessary to open 'System' ->  'Preferences' ->  'System fonts' and
> select category. In dialog press 'Update' and Freetype re-read all
> fonts installed on system. After restarting Pharo, there is all that
> fonts in font select dialog and man can select font with appropriate
> characters (for example wirh Czech chars in my case). I have tried
> this on Windows and Mac - everything worked fine. I have currently no
> access to Linux box, but suppose to work that as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Yup, that's it exactly.
Slighly related, there's a minor problem in that StrikeFonts in Pharo
assumes a latin-1 fontmap, thus will render a few characters incorrectly
when the font is really for latin-15 (Like the Bitmap DejaVu included).
I intend to fix this by extending StrikeFonts with a conversion table
when I have the time, so € (included in latin-15 but not latin-1) and
friends will actually show correctly on screen. If anyone has an
alternate approach they feel is better, I'd be happy for some input.

Cheers,
Henry