Problems with MC (was Re: May be some problems with MC history)

Problems with MC (was Re: May be some problems with MC history)

Michael Roberts-2
Stef, we need the changes to MCPackageLoader>>basicLoad from Squeak
trunk. It does a lot more to ensure correct loading of classes and
methods.  Our version assumes all additions are the same, both new
methods and changes to existing methods.  it's this assumption that
causes the blow up of loading a (pharo compatible) Kernel-eem.242.  I
have tested that our version definitely can't load the closure fixes.

I will start pulling MC changes in and see how it goes.  You already
started a review of Pharo version of MC?

thanks,
Mike

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks dave.
> So far I found my way (but I will have a look) and I'm reading
> carefully the code to see
> the implication for the loading of the closure fixes.
>
> Stef

>>> It is not a merge operation, as I said in my mail. You are merely
>>> applying the changes representing a delta between two versions
>>> manually. That's all, no magic involved.

>>> I don't understand what this has to do with change-sets?
>>>
>>> Class definitions are part of the patch that is calculated by
>>> Monticello. My guess is that the class didn't change for the delta
>>> you
>>> calculated. To illustrate, in the example above the changes between
>>> b.1 and b.2 don't show a class change that happened between a.1 and
>>> b.1, even if the delta depends on it.
>>>
>>> I use what I described all the time, it is maybe a bit tricky, but
>>> works really well.
>>
>> Stef,
>>
>> I don't know if this is helpful or not, but FYI Edgar De Cleene has
>> produced the list of change sets corresponding to the MC update stream
>> for Squeak trunk. See this thread on squeak-dev:
>>
>>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-September/139360.html
>>
>> Dave

Re: Problems with MC (was Re: May be some problems with MC history)

Stéphane Ducasse

On Sep 12, 2009, at 8:51 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

> Stef, we need the changes to MCPackageLoader>>basicLoad from Squeak
> trunk. It does a lot more to ensure correct loading of classes and
> methods.  Our version assumes all additions are the same, both new
> methods and changes to existing methods.  it's this assumption that
> causes the blow up of loading a (pharo compatible) Kernel-eem.242.  I
> have tested that our version definitely can't load the closure fixes.
>
> I will start pulling MC changes in and see how it goes.  You already
> started a review of Pharo version of MC?

Oh yes!
This is why I started. I missed the changes in 3.10 this is why
originally
I said that there were no change changing the semantics.

So what is left on my plate is
        309 and 321.

I will send them to you in a minute as cs so that you can try.

Re: Problems with MC (was Re: May be some problems with MC history)

Stéphane Ducasse
I just publish a couple of MC packages in the inbox

        one just to fix a bad reference to ChangeSorter instead of
ChangesOrganizer (not needed so far)
        one for 309 (which was a kind of changes to support atomic loading)
but did not really helped
        one for 321 where andreas patched that so that they could load
closure fixes
        one with installAll menu in MCPatchBrowser :)

So let me know if this is working.
I could load eliot fixes for kernel (package two = step two of the
eight) without problem.

Stef (now I'm sick so going to bed).

Re: Problems with MC (was Re: May be some problems with MC history)

Michael Roberts-2
get better soon!

ok i said this in a mail but for this thread I think your second
package version is empty. however if I merge 321 from the trunk
(carefully!! i.e hand install MCPackageLoader first) then I can load a
modified MC version of Eliot's #2 that I made. i will go through all
of eliot's fixes tonight. this is progress.  check updates to the
tracker for each one.

cheers,

Mike