Problems with building a freetype plugin on linux

12

Problems with building a freetype plugin on linux

Igor Stasenko

gcc -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLSB_FIRST=1 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I/home/sig/squeak/src/build -I/home/sig/squeak/src/platforms/unix/vm
-I/home/sig/squeak/src/platforms/Cross/vm
-I/home/sig/squeak/src/src/vm -c
/home/sig/squeak/src/src/plugins/FT2Plugin/FT2Plugin.c  -fPIC -DPIC
-DPIC -o FT2Plugin.o

In file included from /home/sig/squeak/src/src/plugins/FT2Plugin/FT2Plugin.c:30:
/usr/include/ft2build.h:56:38: error: freetype/config/ftheader.h: No
such file or directory

and ftheader.h contents says:

  /* `<prefix>/include/freetype2' must be in your current inclusion path */
#include <freetype/config/ftheader.h>

So, it looks like a gcc flags missing the include option:

-I/use/include/freetype2

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Problems with building a freetype plugin on linux

David T. Lewis

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 02:51:58AM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> gcc -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLSB_FIRST=1 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
> -I/home/sig/squeak/src/build -I/home/sig/squeak/src/platforms/unix/vm
> -I/home/sig/squeak/src/platforms/Cross/vm
> -I/home/sig/squeak/src/src/vm -c
> /home/sig/squeak/src/src/plugins/FT2Plugin/FT2Plugin.c  -fPIC -DPIC
> -DPIC -o FT2Plugin.o
>
> In file included from /home/sig/squeak/src/src/plugins/FT2Plugin/FT2Plugin.c:30:
> /usr/include/ft2build.h:56:38: error: freetype/config/ftheader.h: No
> such file or directory
>
> and ftheader.h contents says:
>
>   /* `<prefix>/include/freetype2' must be in your current inclusion path */
> #include <freetype/config/ftheader.h>
>
> So, it looks like a gcc flags missing the include option:
>
> -I/use/include/freetype2

See platforms/unix/plugins/FT2Plugin/FT2PluginHeaderFix-ikp.1.cs for the
patch that Ian used to address this. I cannot say if it works on Windows,
if so Ian's patch should be included in the FT2Plugin. Otherwise it
presumably should be addressed in CMake to get the include path right.

I'm not sure who is the maintainer of FT2Plugin. I have the VMMaker
configuration map pointing at source.impara.de/freetype, but I'm not
sure if this is being actively maintained.

Dave

Re: Problems with building a freetype plugin on linux

Igor Stasenko

If you mean this fix, which changes
        cg addHeaderFile: '<tttables.h>'.

        cg addHeaderFile: '<freetype/tttables.h>'.

it is fine and i changed it.

But read carefully please.. For some unknown reason, CMAKE does not
adds the include directive with
freetype path.
So, a compilation fails at including ft2build.h file, because it can't find it!

I manually hacked the Makefile and added the
 -I/usr/include/freetype2

so, after that i can compile.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Problems with building a freetype plugin on linux

Andreas.Raab

Just FYI, this include is just plain broken in FT2Plugin. The correct
usage of Freetype is by using the macros, for example FT_FREETYPE_H and
FT_OUTLINE_H. The correct macro to use here is:

        cg addHeaderFile: 'FT_TRUETYPE_TABLES_H'.

Instead of using either 'tttables.h' OR 'freetype/tttables.h' See the
Freetype documentation about using the header files correctly:

http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/docs/tutorial/step1.html

The reason it works on Windows is that I'm going out of my way to add
freetype/ to the include path (which is wrong too but it works).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 4/27/2010 5:59 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 02:51:58AM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> gcc -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLSB_FIRST=1 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
>> -I/home/sig/squeak/src/build -I/home/sig/squeak/src/platforms/unix/vm
>> -I/home/sig/squeak/src/platforms/Cross/vm
>> -I/home/sig/squeak/src/src/vm -c
>> /home/sig/squeak/src/src/plugins/FT2Plugin/FT2Plugin.c  -fPIC -DPIC
>> -DPIC -o FT2Plugin.o
>>
>> In file included from /home/sig/squeak/src/src/plugins/FT2Plugin/FT2Plugin.c:30:
>> /usr/include/ft2build.h:56:38: error: freetype/config/ftheader.h: No
>> such file or directory
>>
>> and ftheader.h contents says:
>>
>>    /* `<prefix>/include/freetype2' must be in your current inclusion path */
>> #include<freetype/config/ftheader.h>
>>
>> So, it looks like a gcc flags missing the include option:
>>
>> -I/use/include/freetype2
>
> See platforms/unix/plugins/FT2Plugin/FT2PluginHeaderFix-ikp.1.cs for the
> patch that Ian used to address this. I cannot say if it works on Windows,
> if so Ian's patch should be included in the FT2Plugin. Otherwise it
> presumably should be addressed in CMake to get the include path right.
>
> I'm not sure who is the maintainer of FT2Plugin. I have the VMMaker
> configuration map pointing at source.impara.de/freetype, but I'm not
> sure if this is being actively maintained.
>
> Dave

Re: Problems with building a freetype plugin on linux

Igor Stasenko

I know that, Andreas.

But the problem is not in that. I repeat: Damn CMAKE does not adds a
search path to
/usr/include/freetype2 , where all these files rooted!

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On 4/27/2010 6:18 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> I know that, Andreas.
>
> But the problem is not in that. I repeat: Damn CMAKE does not adds a
> search path to
> /usr/include/freetype2 , where all these files rooted!

I understand. I wasn't responding to your post but rather David's and
his question about whether Ian's patch "would work" on Windows. The
answer is: Yes, it would but for the wrong reasons. The correct usage of
Freetype is by using the macro.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> On 28 April 2010 04:15, Andreas Raab<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> Just FYI, this include is just plain broken in FT2Plugin. The correct usage
>> of Freetype is by using the macros, for example FT_FREETYPE_H and
>> FT_OUTLINE_H. The correct macro to use here is:
>>
>>         cg addHeaderFile: 'FT_TRUETYPE_TABLES_H'.
>>
>> Instead of using either 'tttables.h' OR 'freetype/tttables.h' See the
>> Freetype documentation about using the header files correctly:
>>
>> http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/docs/tutorial/step1.html
>>
>> The reason it works on Windows is that I'm going out of my way to add
>> freetype/ to the include path (which is wrong too but it works).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas

>>> See platforms/unix/plugins/FT2Plugin/FT2PluginHeaderFix-ikp.1.cs for the
>>> patch that Ian used to address this. I cannot say if it works on Windows,
>>> if so Ian's patch should be included in the FT2Plugin. Otherwise it
>>> presumably should be addressed in CMake to get the include path right.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure who is the maintainer of FT2Plugin. I have the VMMaker
>>> configuration map pointing at source.impara.de/freetype, but I'm not
>>> sure if this is being actively maintained.
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: Problems with building a freetype plugin on linux

Bert Freudenberg

On 28.04.2010, at 02:59, David T. Lewis wrote:

> I'm not sure who is the maintainer of FT2Plugin. I have the VMMaker
> configuration map pointing at source.impara.de/freetype, but I'm not
> sure if this is being actively maintained.

The impara repo is definitely unmaintained.

Michael probably intended to migrate that to

        http://www.squeaksource.com/Freetype.html

but we never got around to it.

I don't see the plugin sources anywhere else (Andy's "Freetype Plus" repo seems to not have it). Might be best to migrate into VMMaker?

- Bert -

Re: Problems with building a freetype plugin on linux

Igor Stasenko

FT2Plugin, which stands for freetype plugin is already in VMMaker.
As well as platform source files in svn repository..
I haven't used any external sources except official ones..
Man, i just trying to get VM built with my new plugin.. :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Problems with building a freetype plugin on linux

Igor Stasenko

Just put it into FT2Plugin somehow :)

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7521

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Freetype plugin archive (was: [Vm-dev] Problems with building a freetype plugin on linux)

David T. Lewis

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 03:31:51AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 28.04.2010, at 02:59, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure who is the maintainer of FT2Plugin. I have the VMMaker
> > configuration map pointing at source.impara.de/freetype, but I'm not
> > sure if this is being actively maintained.
>
> The impara repo is definitely unmaintained.
>
> Michael probably intended to migrate that to
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Freetype.html
>
> but we never got around to it.
>
> I don't see the plugin sources anywhere else (Andy's "Freetype Plus"
> repo seems to not have it). Might be best to migrate into VMMaker?

Bert,

Do you know if the rest of the stuff in http://source.impara.de/freetype/
still has value (or has it been superceded by Freetype Plus)? If yes then
I would rather move it all to SqS/Freetype and let the plugin be maintained
there. Assuming that you can get administrative access to it and add me as
a developer, I'll be glad to do the copying.

On the other hand if the plugin is the only issue, I'll go ahead and
move it into the VMMaker package. Do you know if it is MIT licensed?

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Freetype plugin archive (was: [Vm-dev] Problems with building a freetype plugin on linux)

Bert Freudenberg

On 01.05.2010, at 18:31, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 03:31:51AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> On 28.04.2010, at 02:59, David T. Lewis wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure who is the maintainer of FT2Plugin. I have the VMMaker
>>> configuration map pointing at source.impara.de/freetype, but I'm not
>>> sure if this is being actively maintained.
>>
>> The impara repo is definitely unmaintained.
>>
>> Michael probably intended to migrate that to
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Freetype.html
>>
>> but we never got around to it.
>>
>> I don't see the plugin sources anywhere else (Andy's "Freetype Plus"
>> repo seems to not have it). Might be best to migrate into VMMaker?
>
> Bert,
>
> Do you know if the rest of the stuff in http://source.impara.de/freetype/
> still has value (or has it been superceded by Freetype Plus)?

Honestly I don't remember. The Sophie folks should know better, they were the latest users I think. Or is it used in Pharo now?

> If yes then
> I would rather move it all to SqS/Freetype and let the plugin be maintained
> there. Assuming that you can get administrative access to it and add me as
> a developer, I'll be glad to do the copying.

The impara repos are all read-only, not actively used any more. And I'm not admin on

        http://www.squeaksource.com/Freetype.html

so if you want to use that, Michael needs to add you. Or ... Mike, how about you just delete that empty repository?

> On the other hand if the plugin is the only issue, I'll go ahead and
> move it into the VMMaker package.

I'd think that any default VM package should have at least a copy in the VM repo.

> Do you know if it is MIT licensed?

I can't imagine what else it could be, though let Michael confirm it (cc'ed).

- Bert -

Re: Freetype plugin archive

David T. Lewis

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 08:55:33AM -0700, Michael Rueger wrote:

> On 5/1/10 11:31 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >On 01.05.2010, at 18:31, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> >>Do you know if the rest of the stuff in http://source.impara.de/freetype/
> >>still has value (or has it been superceded by Freetype Plus)?
>
> I would think so, that's why there wasn't any further development on the
> freetype plugin.
> The current repositories are of somewhat historical value for e.g. the
> Sophie  builds.

I have opened a new SqueakSource project for the Freetype plugin (FT2Plugin).

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/FreetypePlugin'
    user: ''
    password: ''

This contains copies of all the Freetype-Plugin entries from the archival
repository at http://source.impara.de/freetype, as well as one additional
update from Mantis 7521.

Project administrators are Andy Tween, Bert Freudenberg and me. Developers
are everyone whose author initials appear in the original archive.

VMMaker class>>updateFromServer should now load FT2Plugin from the new
FreetypePlugin repository. A similar update will be needed for
ConfigurationOfVMMaker for Pharo.

For now the original package name Freetype-Plugin has been retained,
although I note that this conflicts with the current packaging of Freetype
in SqS/Freetype Plus, so a change to the package name may be in order.

FT2Plugin contains dependencies on Freetype. This is the reason that
I moved it to a separate SqueakSource project rather than include it
in the SqS/VMMaker repository.

Dave

Re: Freetype plugin archive

Bert Freudenberg

On 09.05.2010, at 10:26, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 08:55:33AM -0700, Michael Rueger wrote:

>> I would think so, that's why there wasn't any further development on the
>> freetype plugin.
>> The current repositories are of somewhat historical value for e.g. the
>> Sophie  builds.
>
> I have opened a new SqueakSource project for the Freetype plugin (FT2Plugin).
>
> MCHttpRepository
>    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/FreetypePlugin'
>    user: ''
>    password: ''
>
> This contains copies of all the Freetype-Plugin entries from the archival
> repository at http://source.impara.de/freetype, as well as one additional
> update from Mantis 7521.
>
> Project administrators are Andy Tween, Bert Freudenberg and me. Developers
> are everyone whose author initials appear in the original archive.
>
> VMMaker class>>updateFromServer should now load FT2Plugin from the new
> FreetypePlugin repository. A similar update will be needed for
> ConfigurationOfVMMaker for Pharo.
>
> For now the original package name Freetype-Plugin has been retained,
> although I note that this conflicts with the current packaging of Freetype
> in SqS/Freetype Plus, so a change to the package name may be in order.
>
> FT2Plugin contains dependencies on Freetype. This is the reason that
> I moved it to a separate SqueakSource project rather than include it
> in the SqS/VMMaker repository.
>
> Dave

Thanks!

- Bert -

Re: Freetype plugin archive

laurent laffont

VMMaker class>>updateFromServer should now load FT2Plugin from the new
FreetypePlugin repository. A similar update will be needed for
ConfigurationOfVMMaker for Pharo.

Done  (version 1.4). All Pharo-1.0 tests green with last squeakvm revision.

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

Re: Freetype plugin archive

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 9:53 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

VMMaker class>>updateFromServer should now load FT2Plugin from the new
FreetypePlugin repository. A similar update will be needed for
ConfigurationOfVMMaker for Pharo.

Done  (version 1.4). All Pharo-1.0 tests green with last squeakvm revision.

Hi Laurent. Thank you very much for tacking care. Now I was thinking: the ONLY way to correclty be able to reproduce a VM version we need not only the VMMaker side but also SVN. If 6 months from today, I try to load version 1.4 with trunk, it won't work. I need to downloa an spceific SVN revision, as you write it in the commit comment. However, I was thinking that it would be great to put such information in the description: of Metacello. Not even the version (as the repo can change) but also the whole command. Not necesary while a verison is in #development but yes when it is realed. So, suppose I release 1.4 I can write:

version14: spec
    <version: '1.4' imports: #('1.4-baseline') >

    spec for: #common do: [
        spec blessing: #development.
        spec description: '- Changed repository of TrueType
                               - etc.....
                                Works with svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/ -r 2203'.
        spec
            package: 'FFI-Pools' with: 'FFI-Pools-ar.1';
            package: 'SharedPool-Speech' with: 'SharedPool-Speech-dtl.2';
            package: 'VMMaker' with: 'VMMaker-dtl.170';
            package: 'MemoryAccess' with: 'MemoryAccess-dtl.3';
            package: 'SlangBrowser' with: 'SlangBrowser-dtl.3';
            package: 'VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin' with: 'VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin-mtf.21';
            package: 'VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin' with: 'VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-dtl.9';
            package: 'VMConstruction-Plugins-XDisplayControlPlugin' with: 'VMConstruction-Plugins-XDisplayControlPlugin-dtl.7';
            package: 'Balloon3D-Constants' with: 'Balloon3D-Constants-ar.5';
            package: 'Balloon3D-Plugins' with: 'Balloon3D-Plugins-bf.5';
            package: 'Freetype-Plugin' with: 'Freetype-Plugin-dtl.56';
            package: 'FreeType' with: 'FreeType-tween.435'.
    ].

    spec for: #pharo do: [
        spec blessing: #development.
        spec
            package: 'Alien-VMMaker-Support' with: 'Alien-VMMaker-Support-John M McIntosh.8';
            package: 'Alien-VMMaker-Plugins' with: 'Alien-VMMaker-Plugins-John M McIntosh.8';
            package: 'Sound' with: 'Sound-StephaneDucasse.47'.
    ]

Of course, this is just an example...

what do you think ? I hope this will increase traceability between Smalltalk code and svn.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: Freetype plugin archive

David T. Lewis

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 09:53:47PM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:

> > VMMaker class>>updateFromServer should now load FT2Plugin from the new
> > FreetypePlugin repository. A similar update will be needed for
> > ConfigurationOfVMMaker for Pharo.
>
> Done  (version 1.4). All Pharo-1.0 tests green with last squeakvm revision.

Laurent,

Thanks for doing the update!

Dave

Re: Freetype plugin archive

laurent laffont

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I think you're right. I will add this description.

Indeed, with easy_squeakvm script you have reproducibility (all is automated, explicit svn rev. and ConfigurationOfVMMaker).

May be we can "translate" easy_squeakvm to Smalltalk so we can have an EasySqueakVM package (or better name) which is cross platform.

Re: Freetype plugin archive

Mariano Martinez Peck

I think you're right. I will add this description.

Indeed, with easy_squeakvm script you have reproducibility (all is automated, explicit svn rev. and ConfigurationOfVMMaker).

Yes, it is reproduceable. But it is the same, in the Conf version, I need the version of easy_squeakvm script as you will commit after.

easy_squeakvm  is linux specific...so I would put the svn version, not easy_squeakvm script  ;)

May be we can "translate" easy_squeakvm to Smalltalk so we can have an EasySqueakVM package (or better name) which is cross platform.

hahahah maybe ;)

Re: Freetype plugin archive

laurent laffont

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think you're right. I will add this description.

Indeed, with easy_squeakvm script you have reproducibility (all is automated, explicit svn rev. and ConfigurationOfVMMaker).

Yes, it is reproduceable. But it is the same, in the Conf version, I need the version of easy_squeakvm script as you will commit after.

? 1 version of easy_squeakvm uses automatically the right squeakvm revision and the right version of ConfigurationOfVMMaker. So the reference is not ConfigurationOfVMMaker nor squeakvm sources, but easy_squeakvm itself.

easy_squeakvm  is linux specific...so I would put the svn version, not easy_squeakvm script  ;)

Yes it's true. But I think it's easily portable to MacOSX as it's a Unix system.

As there's some work on the Windows VM build to use CMake if I understand, with cygwin we can have it too.

And then we can automatically generate the One-Click archive from scratch ;p

I can tag easy_squeakvm 1.0 for Pharo 1.0, easy_squeakvm 1.1 for Pharo 1.1 and so on.

Laurent Laffont.

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:57 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think you're right. I will add this description.

Indeed, with easy_squeakvm script you have reproducibility (all is automated, explicit svn rev. and ConfigurationOfVMMaker).

Yes, it is reproduceable. But it is the same, in the Conf version, I need the version of easy_squeakvm script as you will commit after.

? 1 version of easy_squeakvm uses automatically the right squeakvm revision and the right version of ConfigurationOfVMMaker. So the reference is not ConfigurationOfVMMaker nor squeakvm sources, but easy_squeakvm itself.

There as a misunderstood. I know easy_squeakvm is completly reproducible. What I was saying is that someone that DOES NOT use easy_squeakvm should be reproducible too ;)
Putting the SVN revision in the Metacello version helps with this.

easy_squeakvm  is linux specific...so I would put the svn version, not easy_squeakvm script  ;)

Yes it's true. But I think it's easily portable to MacOSX as it's a Unix system.

As there's some work on the Windows VM build to use CMake if I understand, with cygwin we can have it too.

And then we can automatically generate the One-Click archive from scratch ;p

sounds cool. If I have time I will try easy_squeakvm  in my Mac...