Problems with seasidehosting

Davide Varvello
Hi Folks,
 Have you any problem with the account registration on seasidehosting? When I try to register, I always get a Bad Gateway.
Can you help me, please?
Davide

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Bernat Romagosa
same here! It's been happening to me for two days, at first I thought it was because of connection problems...

Bernat.

2009/10/30 Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>

Hi Folks,
 Have you any problem with the account registration on seasidehosting? When
I try to register, I always get a Bad Gateway.
Can you help me, please?
Davide

O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Adrian Lienhard
Thanks for reporting. It's working again.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Oct 30, 2009, at 10:46 , AxiNat wrote:

> same here! It's been happening to me for two days, at first I
> thought it was
> because of connection problems...
>
> Bernat.
>
> 2009/10/30 Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>
>

>> Hi Folks,
>> Have you any problem with the account registration on
>> seasidehosting? When
>> I try to register, I always get a Bad Gateway.
>> Can you help me, please?
>> Davide
>> --

> O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Davide Varvello
Right, now it works.
Thx
Davide

Adrian Lienhard wrote
Thanks for reporting. It's working again.

Cheers,
Adrian

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Bernat Romagosa
Hi,

I get this message in the logfile when I try to start the image
This interpreter (vers. 6502 cannot read image file (vers. 6504
Hit CR to quit
Is there any workaround other than file-outing the website and file-ining it in another image?

Thanks!

Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Thanks for reporting. It's working again.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On Oct 30, 2009, at 10:46 , AxiNat wrote:

O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM, AxiNat <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I get this message in the logfile when I try to start the image
This interpreter (vers. 6502 cannot read image file (vers. 6504
Hit CR to quit

Are you trying a Pharo image?  That error is tipical when you are tryin to run a closure enable (eliot's changes) image in a non-closure support squeakVM.

seasidehosting does not support pharo right now, but they said it will support after Pharo1.0 stable is released.

Is there any workaround other than file-outing the website and file-ining it in another image?

If you use Pier, you can use the import/export utility. I have also some own scripts that I run to a clean image and they install all the things I need for my images.

Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Thanks for reporting. It's working again.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On Oct 30, 2009, at 10:46 , AxiNat wrote:

O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Bernat Romagosa
Indeed I was using a pharo image, thanks for the answer!

Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Thanks for reporting. It's working again.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On Oct 30, 2009, at 10:46 , AxiNat wrote:

O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 01:16:55PM -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM, AxiNat <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > I get this message in the logfile when I try to start the image
> >
> > This interpreter (vers. 6502 cannot read image file (vers. 6504
> > Hit CR to quit
> >

> Are you trying a Pharo image?  That error is tipical when you are tryin to
> run a closure enable (eliot's changes) image in a non-closure support
> squeakVM.
>
> seasidehosting does not support pharo right now, but they said it will
> support after Pharo1.0 stable is released.

There should be no issue of "waiting for Pharo", it is just a matter of
using an up-to-date Squeak VM (or call it "Pharo VM" if you prefer), which
does support images with closures for Squeak trunk as well as for Pharo
images.

Dave

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Bernat Romagosa
Hi all, first of all sorry for bringing up an old topic again.

The problem here is that my website was full of contents, which took quite a while to set up and stuff... I've been trying to serialize the database objects and import them into a squeak non-closure-supporting image, but it didn't work out of the box and it's becoming really tiresome to try over and over.

Do you guys know of another service (I don't mind paying if the fare is reasonable) that does support pharo images?

If not, I guess I'll have to get a slicehost account and run my own server there...

Thanks!

Bernat.

2009/11/1 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 01:16:55PM -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM, AxiNat <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > I get this message in the logfile when I try to start the image
> >
> > This interpreter (vers. 6502 cannot read image file (vers. 6504
> > Hit CR to quit
> >

> Are you trying a Pharo image?  That error is tipical when you are tryin to
> run a closure enable (eliot's changes) image in a non-closure support
> squeakVM.
>
> seasidehosting does not support pharo right now, but they said it will
> support after Pharo1.0 stable is released.

There should be no issue of "waiting for Pharo", it is just a matter of
using an up-to-date Squeak VM (or call it "Pharo VM" if you prefer), which
does support images with closures for Squeak trunk as well as for Pharo
images.

Dave

O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Randal L. Schwartz

AxiNat> Do you guys know of another service (I don't mind paying if the fare is
AxiNat> reasonable) that does support pharo images?

Well...

AxiNat> If not, I guess I'll have to get a slicehost account and run my own server
AxiNat> there...

Yeah, that's what I was going to say.  There's no need for a specialized
setup.  Just drop an image and the VM on any unix-y host, and you're good.

Except Solaris, but I'm working on that on another thread. :)

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Tudor Girba
I have recently acquired a Linux virtual server at hosteurope.de:
http://www.hosteurope.de/produkte/Virtual-Server-Linux

For 20 EUR/month you get 2-4GB RAM. It is true that the primary
language of the site is German, but they also offer English
translations for most mails, and the server management interface is
English.

Cheers,
Doru

On 9 Nov 2009, at 15:12, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> AxiNat> Do you guys know of another service (I don't mind paying if
> the fare is
> AxiNat> reasonable) that does support pharo images?
>
> Well...
>
> AxiNat> If not, I guess I'll have to get a slicehost account and run
> my own server
> AxiNat> there...
>
> Yeah, that's what I was going to say.  There's no need for a
> specialized
> setup.  Just drop an image and the VM on any unix-y host, and you're
> good.
>
> Except Solaris, but I'm working on that on another thread. :)

> 777 0095
> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside
> discussion

www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair, you will
end up with a messy haircut."

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 09-11-2009 a las 10:47 +0100, AxiNat escribió:

> Hi all, first of all sorry for bringing up an old topic again.
>
> The problem here is that my website was full of contents, which took
> quite a while to set up and stuff... I've been trying to serialize the
> database objects and import them into a squeak non-closure-supporting
> image, but it didn't work out of the box and it's becoming really
> tiresome to try over and over.
>
> Do you guys know of another service (I don't mind paying if the fare
> is reasonable) that does support pharo images?

No one like seasidehosting.

But maybe it is worth to have your own server for you stuff.

> If not, I guess I'll have to get a slicehost account and run my own
> server there...

Slice host is good, and you'll later can use gemstone if you grow that
big.

I use vpslink and have cheaper fees for the equivalent setup, although
the servers they use are 32 bit and not 64 bit like the slicehost ones.

And you can find guides on the web and in the list archives about
configuring and deploying your app in a brand new server too.

Search the archives.

http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Randal L. Schwartz

Miguel> I use vpslink and have cheaper fees for the equivalent setup, although
Miguel> the servers they use are 32 bit and not 64 bit like the slicehost ones.

Also check out hub.org.  $57/year, and you get FreeBSD instead of a linux VPS.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Paul DeBruicker
When I looked into this at the end of May I found that www.prgmr.com
was the cheapest on a fixed resources per month charge and
https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/services/hosting was cheapest for
variable resources pay-what-you-use go charge.

2009/11/9 Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]>:

> Miguel> I use vpslink and have cheaper fees for the equivalent setup, although
> Miguel> the servers they use are 32 bit and not 64 bit like the slicehost ones.
>
> Also check out hub.org.  $57/year, and you get FreeBSD instead of a linux VPS.

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

Bernat Romagosa
Thanks everybody, I finally chose vpslink, quite cheap actually!

By the way, my blog (not 100% finished) can be temporarily found at http://67.223.242.82:8080/seaside until I get a DNS...

Bernat.

2009/11/9 Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]>
When I looked into this at the end of May I found that www.prgmr.com
was the cheapest on a fixed resources per month charge and
https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/services/hosting was cheapest for
variable resources pay-what-you-use go charge.

> Miguel> I use vpslink and have cheaper fees for the equivalent setup, although
> Miguel> the servers they use are 32 bit and not 64 bit like the slicehost ones.
>
> Also check out hub.org.  $57/year, and you get FreeBSD instead of a linux VPS.

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

O HAI I'M IN UR FOOTER SIGNATURING UR MAILZ

Re: Problems with seasidehosting

John McKeon
Just my two cents for the Linux challenged among us (I spent way to many hours trying to learn linux on VPSLink, maybe I should have tried something other than OpenSUSE =).

There are Windows VPS hosts out there.
VPSLand is working well for me for the past two months and with some useful hints from Ramon Leon's blog, I have some half a dozen Squeak/Pharo images running as services and am quite happy with the results.

John

http://jmck.seasidehosting.st