Process(Object)>>errorSubscriptBounds:

Shaping-3
Process(Object)>>errorSubscriptBounds:

Several times I got this error shortly after an infinite recursion in which
stack-depth is exceeded (usually a #printOn:).  The error pops up right when
I try to save a method in the debugger.  How do I fix this?  Seems like the
image is damaged, but I'm not in a position to reload all of my packages.

Shaping

Re: Process(Object)>>errorSubscriptBounds:

Fernando Rodríguez
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:52:32 -0500, "Shaping" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Process(Object)>>errorSubscriptBounds:
>
>Several times I got this error shortly after an infinite recursion in which
>stack-depth is exceeded (usually a #printOn:).  The error pops up right when
>I try to save a method in the debugger.  How do I fix this?  Seems like the
>image is damaged, but I'm not in a position to reload all of my packages.

Try using the 'panic' button. If that doesn't fix it, check this
thread:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin/browse_frm/thread/ea0bf0dcc8943c36/4da8b468f45c32a6?q=broken+image&rnum=1#4da8b468f45c32a6

Re: Process(Object)>>errorSubscriptBounds:

Shaping-3
That corrected the problem.  Thanks.

Shaping

news:[hidden email]...

jas

Shaping wrote:

> Process(Object)>>errorSubscriptBounds:
>
> Several times I got this error shortly after an infinite recursion in which
> stack-depth is exceeded (usually a #printOn:).  The error pops up right when
> I try to save a method in the debugger.  How do I fix this?  Seems like the
> image is damaged, but I'm not in a position to reload all of my packages.
>

> Shaping

Sounds like the method you are saving
impacts a printOn: which is needed to
view the present position of the stack.

It's usually helpful to first select
a position on the stack which precedes
(or begins) the recursion, and restart
that method.

Now that the stack is sane, when you find
the change you need to make, if it affects
printOn: (for whatever is selected in the
inspector to the right), select something
else before you save the method.

In any case, I doubt the image is damaged -
but the running process may be difficult
to recover when you've not done the above.
You'll likely need to terminate the debugger
(and with it, your process), and then restart
that process.

The only 'damage' I've seen in regards to
what you describe is a left-over blockingCall
monitor that is never gc'd.  And this can be
ignored until you're back in position to
reload from packages.

HTH.

Regards,

-cstb