Prof Stef browser

Schwab,Wilhelm K
For fun, open two Prof Stef browsers and see what happens when you click on the tree in one of them.  Then close the second one, and click on the tree in the first.  They should act independently.  Beyond just a nice system for newbies, this is a potentially important example to get people started building GUIs in Pharo, so the details are important.

Re: Prof Stef browser

laurent laffont
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
For fun, open two Prof Stef browsers and see what happens when you click on the tree in one of them.  Then close the second one, and click on the tree in the first.  They should act independently.  Beyond just a nice system for newbies, this is a potentially important example to get people started building GUIs in Pharo, so the details are important.

I agree. I'll try to have a look (repository is public write, if you have a fix just commit it).

Re: Prof Stef browser

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Laurent,

I don't have a fix yet.  In fact, I am so impressed with what you have done that I am thinking of abandoning, or least strongly altering, my GUI efforts based on what you are doing.

Having some basic Dolphin-like classes for presenters (text, list, tree, image) could be very useful.  But another approach I am considering is to try to approach it more like Seaside code which has some advantages.

Bill

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
For fun, open two Prof Stef browsers and see what happens when you click on the tree in one of them.  Then close the second one, and click on the tree in the first.  They should act independently.  Beyond just a nice system for newbies, this is a potentially important example to get people started building GUIs in Pharo, so the details are important.

I agree. I'll try to have a look (repository is public write, if you have a fix just commit it).

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

Re: Prof Stef browser

laurent laffont

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
Laurent,

I don't have a fix yet.  In fact, I am so impressed with what you have done that I am thinking of abandoning, or least strongly altering, my GUI efforts based on what you are doing.

Indeed, I'm the author of ProfStef. But ProfStefBrowser has been written by Danny Chan, so give credits to him :)

We need to document GUI. Hilaire and I have started to work on it through the Pharo Book or Pharocasts, but a lot of work remains. I think it's easier to improve it once we now how it works and document the "right" way to do it.

IMHO we don't need to have the best GUI tools (now), we need to have easy-to-understand recipes to make basic and powerful stuff so newbies can do it, more newbies means more contributors later and we need contributors :) So let's learn together.

Laurent