ProfStef or HelpSystem ?

fstephany
Hi all,

What are the differences between the two systems ?

 From what I see, a ProfStef lesson is a collection of pages with
buttons to navigate between them.

Help System seems to be same except that it can have a hierarchy of
pages and is more 'textual' than a ProfStef lesson (the absence of
syntax highlighting confirms that?)

Now I don't see why there are two different browsers/systems ?
Sorry if I'm missing something evident :/

Francois

Re: ProfStef or HelpSystem ?

Carla F. Griggio
*I think* that Prof Stef is more intended to tutorial-like help, and Help System is more intended to reference-like contents, more like a reference book. That's why you find several steps in a Prof Stef lesson, like a tutorial.

I have to document a project now and I intend to use both: Prof Stef to get the user started quickly and using the project, and Help System to other kind of documentation, like how does it work, special comments about some classes, how to extend it, etc.

Cheers!
Carla

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Francois Stephany <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

What are the differences between the two systems ?

From what I see, a ProfStef lesson is a collection of pages with buttons to navigate between them.

Help System seems to be same except that it can have a hierarchy of pages and is more 'textual' than a ProfStef lesson (the absence of syntax highlighting confirms that?)

Now I don't see why there are two different browsers/systems ?
Sorry if I'm missing something evident :/

Francois

Re: ProfStef or HelpSystem ?

fstephany
Yep !

Why not write a chapter 'Tutorial' in your help book (because of the
missing syntax highlighting)?

I was looking for the Metacello tutorial in the Help Browser. I had to
rewatched Laurent's screenscast to think about ProfStef...

Cheers!

On 19/08/10 20:57, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

> *I think* that Prof Stef is more intended to tutorial-like help, and
> Help System is more intended to reference-like contents, more like a
> reference book. That's why you find several steps in a Prof Stef lesson,
> like a tutorial.
>
> I have to document a project now and I intend to use both: Prof Stef to
> get the user started quickly and using the project, and Help System to
> other kind of documentation, like how does it work, special comments
> about some classes, how to extend it, etc.
>
> Cheers!
> Carla
>

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Francois Stephany
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     What are the differences between the two systems ?
>
>      From what I see, a ProfStef lesson is a collection of pages with
>     buttons to navigate between them.
>
>     Help System seems to be same except that it can have a hierarchy of
>     pages and is more 'textual' than a ProfStef lesson (the absence of
>     syntax highlighting confirms that?)
>
>     Now I don't see why there are two different browsers/systems ?
>     Sorry if I'm missing something evident :/
>

>     Francois

Re: ProfStef or HelpSystem ?

laurent laffont

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Francois Stephany <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yep !

Why not write a chapter 'Tutorial' in your help book (because of the missing syntax highlighting)?

Yes ! Could you write it ?

I've written ProfStef to be a little interactive tutorial (primarely for students / curious people), like http://tryruby.org/

HelpSystem is a real classical / official documentation system.

[...]

    From what I see, a ProfStef lesson is a collection of pages with
   buttons to navigate between them.

   Help System seems to be same except that it can have a hierarchy of
   pages and is more 'textual' than a ProfStef lesson (the absence of
   syntax highlighting confirms that?)

   Now I don't see why there are two different browsers/systems ?
   Sorry if I'm missing something evident :/

   Francois

Re: ProfStef or HelpSystem ?

fstephany
>     Why not write a chapter 'Tutorial' in your help book (because of the
>     missing syntax highlighting)?
>

> Yes ! Could you write it ?

Syntax highlighting for HelpSystem ?
Or the Tutorial for Carla's project ?