ProfStef

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

I like the "browser" version of ProfStef more than the simple "workspace"
based version. Especially since it allows us to provide more tutorials
in the dev image just by loading.

The tutorial browser could be one access point (accessible from world
menu) and is extensible by loading a  package with an own tutorial
(like Metacello, ...)

Unfortunately "ConfigurationOfProfStef" currently only uses
the simple workspace version.

What's the plan here?

A vision for the future:
 - a generalized help system maybe similar to what we know from Eclipse
   [1], KDE [2], or Windows [3]
 - nested tutorials with deeper structure than (currently) one
 - the ability to use "help" in a tool which opens a
   specific chapter and show people how to use Monticello, TestRunner, ...
 - tutorials/help descriptions managed like code
   (no pointers to outdated wiki pages from Squeak)
 - an active help system with live code samples and maybe based on
   a cleaned up Bookmorph? ;)

We are already halfway there, arent we?

Thx
T.

[1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/cn/linux/opensource/os-echelp/eclipse-help.gif
[2] http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/services/compute/linux-cluster/intro/khelpcenter.png
[3] http://www.knopf.com/resources/help/screenshots/winhelp2k.gif

Re: ProfStef

laurent laffont
Hi,

May be it's time to decouple  ProfStef (the simple workspace one) from Tutorial Browser ? It seems goals are not the same:
- ProfStef as a little game to learn Smalltalk, interactive. Stay tiny, simple (..is beautiful :)
- Tutorial / Help Browser to be an integrated help system with  focused on "easy to write docs" using Danny's great work.

What do you think ?

Laurent Laffont

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stéphane Ducasse
+1

but let us be incremental and improve step by step.

Stef

> And I was just thinking that there may be more value *now* in writing tutorials than in writing a full featured help browser ?
>
> Laurent Laffont
>

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:25 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> May be it's time to decouple  ProfStef (the simple workspace one) from Tutorial Browser ? It seems goals are not the same:
> - ProfStef as a little game to learn Smalltalk, interactive. Stay tiny, simple (..is beautiful :)
> - Tutorial / Help Browser to be an integrated help system with  focused on "easy to write docs" using Danny's great work.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Laurent Laffont
>

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like the "browser" version of ProfStef more than the simple "workspace"
> based version. Especially since it allows us to provide more tutorials
> in the dev image just by loading.
>
> The tutorial browser could be one access point (accessible from world
> menu) and is extensible by loading a  package with an own tutorial
> (like Metacello, ...)
>
> Unfortunately "ConfigurationOfProfStef" currently only uses
> the simple workspace version.
>
> What's the plan here?
>

> A vision for the future:
>  - a generalized help system maybe similar to what we know from Eclipse
>   [1], KDE [2], or Windows [3]
>  - nested tutorials with deeper structure than (currently) one
>  - the ability to use "help" in a tool which opens a
>   specific chapter and show people how to use Monticello, TestRunner, ...
>  - tutorials/help descriptions managed like code
>   (no pointers to outdated wiki pages from Squeak)
>  - an active help system with live code samples and maybe based on
>   a cleaned up Bookmorph? ;)
>
> We are already halfway there, arent we?
>
> Thx
> T.
>
> [1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/cn/linux/opensource/os-echelp/eclipse-help.gif
> [2] http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/services/compute/linux-cluster/intro/khelpcenter.png
> [3] http://www.knopf.com/resources/help/screenshots/winhelp2k.gif

Re: ProfStef

Alexandre Bergel
It would be really cool to have a tutorial on Mondrian using ProfStef.
I hope to find some time to work on this...

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu