Profiling...

12

Re: Profiling...

Alan Knight-2
On number 1 I don't know, but I suspect the Glorp profiler might be a better bet anyway if your time is being spent in Glorp. Or if the times are really ridiculous, just try the ad hoc profiling approach - break into your program with ctrl-y or the process monitor and see what it's doing at the time. Trying that 3 or 4 times will often lead you to the place that's a severe bottleneck.

On number 2, I don't think that's going to help you with a Postgresql connection. I think you'd want to load NetConfigTool, and possibly there are other Net tools things that provide a UI for settings.

At 11:38 PM 11/26/2008, Rick Flower wrote:

Ok -- just an update. I loaded SeasideProfiler and also the below
mentioned NetClients and have two questions :

1) For SeasideProfiler -- I get a "Profiler" link now in Seaside and when
pressed I get "no samples" in the very bottom of the window.. For the life
of me I can't get anything other than "no samples".. Any ideas?

2) For the Http Proxy settings, how do I set the proxy config?  I didn't
notice any changes in the preferences panel or anywhere else..

Thx!

-- Rick

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: Profiling...

James Robertson-7
On (2)

-- Load NetConfigTool
-- Go to settings
-- expand Http under Net

Set the proxy

On (1), You have to run a block of code.  Try:

TimeProfiler profile: ["your code here"]

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Nov 26, 2008, at 11:38 PM, Rick Flower wrote:

> Ok -- just an update. I loaded SeasideProfiler and also the below
> mentioned NetClients and have two questions :
>
> 1) For SeasideProfiler -- I get a "Profiler" link now in Seaside and
> when
> pressed I get "no samples" in the very bottom of the window.. For
> the life
> of me I can't get anything other than "no samples".. Any ideas?
>
> 2) For the Http Proxy settings, how do I set the proxy config?  I
> didn't
> notice any changes in the preferences panel or anywhere else..
>
> Thx!
>
> -- Rick

RE: Profiling...

Bany, Michel
Hi Rick,

On (1), Seaside profiling only works for the rendering phase and you
need a fair amount of rendering activity (or a slow CPU). If you cannot
get any sample, this means that there is not much to optimize in your
rendering code.

On the other hand, you may also want to try increase the number of
samples and customize WAProfiler>>profileSendsDuring: to use a sampling
interval that would be shorter than the default value (16 I believe)

        ((TimeProfiler new) samplingInterval: 1; yourself)
                profile: aBlock
                onExitDo:
                        [:spy |
                        profile := spy.
                        sem signal].

If you need to profile the callback phase of your application, then the
SeasideProfiler package will not help. You will have to manually
instrument you callback methods.

Hope this helps,
Michel.

Re: Profiling...

Michael Lucas-Smith-3
If you have the AT Profiler loaded, you'll also have the
MultiTimeProfiler and MultiAllocProfiler, which will profile across all
the green threads. This, I've found, to be very useful with Seaside
profiling, because you want to see what the impact is with multiple
users hitting your program simultaneously.

Cheers,
Michael

Bany, Michel wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> On (1), Seaside profiling only works for the rendering phase and you
> need a fair amount of rendering activity (or a slow CPU). If you cannot
> get any sample, this means that there is not much to optimize in your
> rendering code.
>
> On the other hand, you may also want to try increase the number of
> samples and customize WAProfiler>>profileSendsDuring: to use a sampling
> interval that would be shorter than the default value (16 I believe)
>
> ((TimeProfiler new) samplingInterval: 1; yourself)
> profile: aBlock
> onExitDo:
> [:spy |
> profile := spy.
> sem signal].
>
> If you need to profile the callback phase of your application, then the
> SeasideProfiler package will not help. You will have to manually
> instrument you callback methods.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Michel.

12