Profiling...

12

Profiling...

Rick Flower
One more question for you...

In my current app, I use Glorp for my database storage needs... So far
so good.. However, I see a few places in my code
where things seem to take longer than I'd expect and frankly I'm not
really sure what is consuming the time.  For instance,
my login page which does a database query to populate a select box
frequently takes a bit over a second to render on a
1.67Ghz Powerbook (ppc).

In older versions of Seaside I recall seeing a way to get a list of
how long various things took to render in a tree layout
but can't find that anymore -- just an overall list of how long the
page took to render. If I want to profile code whats the
best way to do that under VW/Seaside and will it include non-Seaside
items such as Glorp calls,etc?

Thanks!

-- Rick

Re: Profiling...

Philippe Marschall
2008/11/25 Richard E. Flower <[hidden email]>:

> One more question for you...
>
> In my current app, I use Glorp for my database storage needs... So far so
> good.. However, I see a few places in my code
> where things seem to take longer than I'd expect and frankly I'm not really
> sure what is consuming the time.  For instance,
> my login page which does a database query to populate a select box
> frequently takes a bit over a second to render on a
> 1.67Ghz Powerbook (ppc).
>
> In older versions of Seaside I recall seeing a way to get a list of how long
> various things took to render in a tree layout
> but can't find that anymore -- just an overall list of how long the page
> took to render. If I want to profile code whats the
> best way to do that under VW/Seaside and will it include non-Seaside items
> such as Glorp calls,etc?

Do you mean the toolbar at the very bottom?
http://www.seaside.st/documentation/tools

If you don't have it disable deployment mode in the configuration of
your application.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Profiling...

Rick Flower
On Tue, November 25, 2008 10:04 am, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Do you mean the toolbar at the very bottom?
> http://www.seaside.st/documentation/tools
>
> If you don't have it disable deployment mode in the configuration of
> your application.

I don't have deployment mode enabled (still have the halo's,etc) but don't
recall seeing the profile link or it was disabled.. I don't have it in front
of me currently but will double check tonight when I get home.. Thx!

Re: Profiling...

Randal L. Schwartz

Rick> I don't have deployment mode enabled (still have the halo's,etc) but
Rick> don't recall seeing the profile link or it was disabled.. I don't have
Rick> it in front of me currently but will double check tonight when I get
Rick> home.. Thx!

You didn't give your platform.  As I recall, profile works on Squeak,
but not VW, for example.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Profiling...

Rick Flower
On Tue, November 25, 2008 11:48 am, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> You didn't give your platform.  As I recall, profile works on Squeak,
> but not VW, for example.

Ahh.. That would be the problem then.. I'm on VW..  I'm fairly certain that
older versions of Seaside (on VW) did do Profiling -- perhaps in the Seaside
2.6 time frame..?  At least that's what I recall..   Thanks for the info..

Re: Profiling...

Steve Aldred-3
Rick Flower wrote:

> On Tue, November 25, 2008 11:48 am, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>

>> You didn't give your platform.  As I recall, profile works on Squeak,
>> but not VW, for example.
>>

> Ahh.. That would be the problem then.. I'm on VW..  I'm fairly certain that
> older versions of Seaside (on VW) did do Profiling -- perhaps in the Seaside
> 2.6 time frame..?  At least that's what I recall..   Thanks for the info..

So why not just use the VW profilers in your dev image instead?

cheers
Steve

Re: Profiling...

Alan Knight-2
Not Seaside-specific, but probably the easiest thing to do is load the "AT Profiling UI" parcel and do something like

MultiTimeProfiler startProfiling.

before you start, and

MultiTimeProfiler stopProfiling

at the end.

You can also do a profile that just takes the time for a particular process inside a block, but for web-type applications having it take into account all processes is often useful.

For Glorp-specific profiling, see the GlorpAnalysis package and the GlorpQueryPerformanceAnalyzer in particular. This doesn't have a nice UI, but will give you the ability to look at the time taken by queries, and aggregating particular types of queries.

At 09:14 AM 11/25/2008, Richard E. Flower wrote:
One more question for you...

In my current app, I use Glorp for my database storage needs... So far
so good.. However, I see a few places in my code
where things seem to take longer than I'd expect and frankly I'm not
really sure what is consuming the time.  For instance,
my login page which does a database query to populate a select box
frequently takes a bit over a second to render on a
1.67Ghz Powerbook (ppc).

In older versions of Seaside I recall seeing a way to get a list of
how long various things took to render in a tree layout
but can't find that anymore -- just an overall list of how long the
page took to render. If I want to profile code whats the
best way to do that under VW/Seaside and will it include non-Seaside
items such as Glorp calls,etc?

Thanks!

-- Rick

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: Profiling...

Philippe Marschall
2008/11/25, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]>:

> Rick> I don't have deployment mode enabled (still have the halo's,etc) but
> Rick> don't recall seeing the profile link or it was disabled.. I don't have
> Rick> it in front of me currently but will double check tonight when I get
> Rick> home.. Thx!
>
> You didn't give your platform.  As I recall, profile works on Squeak,
> but not VW, for example.

It's quite uncool they dropped that. Especially comparing to GemStone
which managed to provide additional value with their tools in the
toolbar.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Profiling...

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] Profiling...

Did someone check if it appears when you load AT Profiling Tools? That's how I would have done it...

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

On Wed, November 26, 2008 8:42 am, Boris Popov wrote:
> Did someone check if it appears when you load AT Profiling Tools? That's
> how I would have done it...

I just loaded ATProfilingUI.pcl from the 'advanced' directory and then
loaded up the regular Seaside page and toggled Halo's just to make sure..

Regardless, nothing there for profiling at this point..  Without having used
the backend as Alan suggested, could this be remedied by something as simple
as hooking the calls that Alan suggested to a set of methods buried somewhere
within Seaside (connected to the toolbar)?  Just curious..

RE: Profiling...

Bany, Michel
Hi Rick,
Can you try SeasideProfiler in the public store?
The Cincom guys are cool, they didn't drop it.
Cheers,
Michel.

On Wed, November 26, 2008 9:50 am, Bany, Michel wrote:
> Hi Rick,
> Can you try SeasideProfiler in the public store?
> The Cincom guys are cool, they didn't drop it.

Thanks Michel-

I'll try it when I get home.. Unfortunately, I'm at work (where I don't do
any ST work) and haven't yet figured out a way to connect to the public
store from behind a firewall that blocks that port..  Anyway, I'll let you
know later.. Thanks again!

Re: Profiling...

Stefan Schmiedl
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:54:50 -0800 (PST)
"Rick Flower" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll try it when I get home.. Unfortunately, I'm at work (where I
> don't do any ST work) and haven't yet figured out a way to connect to
> the public store from behind a firewall that blocks that port..
> Anyway, I'll let you know later.. Thanks again!

No excuse ... IIRC, James Robertson said that the repo is also available
on port 80 :-)

s.

Re: Profiling...

Philippe Marschall
2008/11/26, Bany, Michel <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Rick,
> Can you try SeasideProfiler in the public store?
> The Cincom guys are cool, they didn't drop it.

Uhm sorry, but this was published like right now. The Store displays the date.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Profiling...

James Robertson-7
I think "overlooked" rather than "dropped" would be a better way to
look at this.

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Nov 26, 2008, at 11:14 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

>> Rick> I don't have deployment mode enabled (still have the
>> halo's,etc) but
>> Rick> don't recall seeing the profile link or it was disabled.. I
>> don't have
>> Rick> it in front of me currently but will double check tonight
>> when I get
>> Rick> home.. Thx!
>>
>> You didn't give your platform.  As I recall, profile works on Squeak,
>> but not VW, for example.
>
> It's quite uncool they dropped that. Especially comparing to GemStone
> which managed to provide additional value with their tools in the
> toolbar.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: Profiling...

Michel Bany

On Nov 26, 2008, at 7:29 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2008/11/26, Bany, Michel <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Rick,
>> Can you try SeasideProfiler in the public store?
>> The Cincom guys are cool, they didn't drop it.
>
> Uhm sorry, but this was published like right now. The Store
> displays the date.

How does that related to being cool or not?

Re: Profiling...

James Robertson-7
To follow up, Michel's code is marked for integration into both the
base VW Seaside port and our Web Velocity work.  We're happy to have
people tell us that we're missing things, so long as the criticism
falls into the "constructive criticism" side of things.

On Wed, November 26, 2008 10:06 am, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:54:50 -0800 (PST)
> "Rick Flower" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'll try it when I get home.. Unfortunately, I'm at work (where I
>> don't do any ST work) and haven't yet figured out a way to connect to
>> the public store from behind a firewall that blocks that port..
>> Anyway, I'll let you know later.. Thanks again!
>
> No excuse ... IIRC, James Robertson said that the repo is also available
> on port 80 :-)

I tried pointing to port 80 but knew my problem already.. We've got a proxy
running on port 80 that needs authentication.. Any ideas on how to do that
and have the public store still available?  I looked in the preferences for
VW but didn't see any http proxy settings..

Re: Profiling...

James Robertson-7
You can specify proxy settings - load all the NetClients parcels

On Nov 26, 2008, at 7:06 PM, Rick Flower wrote:

> On Wed, November 26, 2008 10:06 am, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:54:50 -0800 (PST)
>> "Rick Flower" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I'll try it when I get home.. Unfortunately, I'm at work (where I
>>> don't do any ST work) and haven't yet figured out a way to connect
>>> the public store from behind a firewall that blocks that port..
>>> Anyway, I'll let you know later.. Thanks again!
>>
>> No excuse ... IIRC, James Robertson said that the repo is also
>> available
>> on port 80 :-)
>
> I tried pointing to port 80 but knew my problem already.. We've got
> a proxy
> running on port 80 that needs authentication.. Any ideas on how to
> do that
> and have the public store still available?  I looked in the
> preferences for
> VW but didn't see any http proxy settings..

Re: Profiling...

Rick Flower

Ok -- just an update. I loaded SeasideProfiler and also the below
mentioned NetClients and have two questions :

1) For SeasideProfiler -- I get a "Profiler" link now in Seaside and when
pressed I get "no samples" in the very bottom of the window.. For the life
of me I can't get anything other than "no samples".. Any ideas?

2) For the Http Proxy settings, how do I set the proxy config?  I didn't
notice any changes in the preferences panel or anywhere else..

Thx!

-- Rick

12