Programming desktop applications in Morphic

Programming desktop applications in Morphic

Zeeshan Ansari

Hi All,

I'm writing a desktop application and wanted to know what is the best way to do this in Morphic. For example, in .Net I would have event-handlers for specific events from the different window components (dialog, menu, etc) for which I would code the behavior I wanted. Does Morphic follow a similar paradigm? Are there any examples to look at?

Thanks.

Re: Programming desktop applications in Morphic

jfabry
Hello,

it sounds to me like you want to build an application with a GUI. You should have a look at how to do this in Spec, this is the new way to build GUIs in Pharo, standard since 2.0. There is technical report on Spec here: http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/70/80/67/PDF/SpecTechReport.pdf I guess it's a bit out of date but it should be enough to get you started.

On Apr 12, 2013, at 8:39 AM, Zeeshan Ansari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm writing a desktop application and wanted to know what is the best way to do this in Morphic. For example, in .Net I would have event-handlers for specific events from the different window components (dialog, menu, etc) for which I would code the behavior I wanted. Does Morphic follow a similar paradigm? Are there any examples to look at?
>
> Thanks.

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Programming desktop applications in Morphic

Zeeshan Ansari
This is for a school project and I'm not sure I can use this. Is there similar guidance available for Morphic. By the way my application is not just a typical business GUI application. I am trying to build a UML editor. I'm just trying to understand how event-handling works.

Thanks.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

it sounds to me like you want to build an application with a GUI. You should have a look at how to do this in Spec, this is the new way to build GUIs in Pharo, standard since 2.0. There is technical report on Spec here: http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/70/80/67/PDF/SpecTechReport.pdf I guess it's a bit out of date but it should be enough to get you started.

On Apr 12, 2013, at 8:39 AM, Zeeshan Ansari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm writing a desktop application and wanted to know what is the best way to do this in Morphic. For example, in .Net I would have event-handlers for specific events from the different window components (dialog, menu, etc) for which I would code the behavior I wanted. Does Morphic follow a similar paradigm? Are there any examples to look at?
>
> Thanks.

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Programming desktop applications in Morphic

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Zeeshan Ansari wrote
This is for a school project and I'm not sure I can use this. Is there
similar guidance available for Morphic. By the way my application is not
just a typical business GUI application. I am trying to build a UML editor.
I'm just trying to understand how event-handling works.
If there are any standard parts, use Spec. It's much simpler. I've never done it, but I'm sure you can embed your custom UML Morphic widget in a Spec UI. If you want to learn Morphic, check out Pharo By Example - it has a quite good treatment of the Morphic hooks.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Programming desktop applications in Morphic

Ben Coman
You will want to download Squeak 3.9, but [1] gives a good overall
approach...

[1] http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/

Zeeshan Ansari wrote:

> This is for a school project and I'm not sure I can use this. Is there
> similar guidance available for Morphic. By the way my application is not
> just a typical business GUI application. I am trying to build a UML editor.
> I'm just trying to understand how event-handling works.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> it sounds to me like you want to build an application with a GUI. You
>> should have a look at how to do this in Spec, this is the new way to build
>> GUIs in Pharo, standard since 2.0. There is technical report on Spec here:
>> http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/70/80/67/PDF/SpecTechReport.pdf I guess it's
>> a bit out of date but it should be enough to get you started.
>>

>> On Apr 12, 2013, at 8:39 AM, Zeeshan Ansari <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm writing a desktop application and wanted to know what is the best
>>>
>> way to do this in Morphic. For example, in .Net I would have event-handlers
>> for specific events from the different window components (dialog, menu,
>> etc) for which I would code the behavior I wanted. Does Morphic follow a
>> similar paradigm? Are there any examples to look at?
>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>>
>> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
>> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Programming desktop applications in Morphic

Stephan Eggermont-3
You might want to take a look at Roassal combined with Glamour.
That might save you a lot of work.
The easiest way is to download a Moose 4.8 (that is based on Pharo 2.0)

Stephan

Re: Programming desktop applications in Morphic

S Krish
Pick the Pharo By Example book and you can do the first set of examples.

Carry through and browse through the Morphic hierarchy , methods and debug through all examples / the IDE actions too.