classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Project Mirrors: ConfigurationOf vs. BaselineOf

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
An increasing number of projects are hosted both on an mcz repo e.g. StHub, which loads via ConfigurationOf; and GitHub, which loads via a BaselineOf. Do we have an elegant (i.e. not requiring copy/pasting between the config and baseline) way of managing loading for such a project? For example, I want to fork NeoCSV from GitHub and load my fork, but there is no BaselineOf because the "main" repo is on StHub and the GitHub repo is a mirror (with seemingly limited value since it doesn't seem possible to load from there).

Thanks!
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Project Mirrors: ConfigurationOf vs. BaselineOf

kilon.alios
§

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 1:31 AM Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
An increasing number of projects are hosted both on an mcz repo e.g. StHub,
which loads via ConfigurationOf; and GitHub, which loads via a BaselineOf.
Do we have an elegant (i.e. not requiring copy/pasting between the config
and baseline) way of managing loading for such a project? For example, I
want to fork NeoCSV from GitHub and load my fork, but there is no BaselineOf
because the "main" repo is on StHub and the GitHub repo is a mirror (with
seemingly limited value since it doesn't seem possible to load from there).

Thanks!

I distribute all my projects through Catalog Browser and Github, no interest on StHub. None has complained to me so far. Super easy, simple, flexible and powerful.

The configuration that is added in metarepo loads the latest from master branch , which I use as a stable release.I add it once per pharo version and never both with it again. Baseline does the heavy lifting of loading dependencies. Git tags mark the versions, independent releases in zip files for those wanting a standalone pharo distribution with just the library in it are also easy to make.

Version control wise, I rely completely on git.

You do not need a baseline to load a git fork into pharo because git plus filetree can do this , but obviously one must be provided because its much cleaner this way. Especially if the latest code is quite unstable and buggy.