Project Naming

Ben Coman-3
I hesitated to post since maybe its a bit rude for my first post to discuss project renaming, but there was discussion on pharo-users and pharo-dev and a suggestion to move that discussion here - so heck I'll leap in and beg forgiveness. So I've been meaning to tune in to SciSmalltalk for a while but it took someone's suggestion of "SciTalk" as a project name to get me here.

I do find "SciSmalltalk" a bit unwieldily. The suggested "SciTalk" is very nice, but googling "scitalk" has 84k unrelated hits and what you really want these days is search-uniqueness.  Also domains "scitalk.org" & "scitalk.com" are taken. I think it is important to plan ahead to a time the project wants its own domain name.  So I looked at:

* scietalk - has 1.7k hits with both ".org" & ".com" domains available.

* scientalk - has 0.148k hits with both ".org" & ".com" domains available.

* scitawk - has 0.004k hits with both ".org" & ".com" domains available.

* scietawk - google says "Your search did not match any documents" - and both ".org" & ".com" domains available.

* scientawk - google says "Your search did not match any documents" - and both ".org" & ".com" domains available.

Anyway, thats my community service for today. Hope it helps rather than hinders.
cheers -ben

Re: Project Naming

werner kassens-2
Hi Ben,
your approach makes a lot of sense indeed. when i eg look for a workaround for some boring problems when setting up a wifi connection in some certain os, i prefer getting no more than 3 google results, but when i look up something like 'scitalk' or whatever i dont really mind if i stumble upon some not exactly fitting hits. iow the occasional miss is no real problem imo. scitalk seems to be rather occupied though, i completely agree. and regarding 'scitawk' eventually one could keep in mind that there exists the occasional non native speaker, who - <broad grin> like me - cant always see where one syllable ends and the next one begins: my very first association was SCIenTific & AWKward, probably not really desirable.
werner

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 5:40 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

HwaJong Oh
Ben,

I can see your point, but none of the names u presented feel better thane current name. I do think current name is a bit too long and senseless but cannot think of better one.

HwaJong Oh