Project for 'after 5.2 release'

12
cbc

Project for 'after 5.2 release'

cbc

Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release'

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 06:54:55PM -0700, Chris Cunningham wrote:
That is a good thing :-)  The items in this list are things that are likely
to introduce instability to trunk if we start working on them right now, so
it is better to wait for the release before pushing changes into the trunk
for these issues.

Let's focus on getting the 5.2 release done, including giving Edgar our full
support to close any issues that are critical to the release. Once that is
done, we can address the issues that are flagged for follow up.

Dave

cbc

Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release'

cbc

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018, 19:24 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>

That is a good thing :-)  The items in this list are things that are likely
to introduce instability to trunk if we start working on them right now, so
it is better to wait for the release before pushing changes into the trunk
for these issues.

Let's focus on getting the 5.2 release done, including giving Edgar our full
support to close any issues that are critical to the release. Once that is
done, we can address the issues that are flagged for follow up.

Dave
I agree. Just didn't want to lose them.

Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

Edgar De Cleene
I think 5.2 is stable now.
I using as base for things I working on.
Could have a system on Linux box , use the share directory as link in Mac
and open from Mac and save changes.
So the .image works from Linux or from Mac remote on same network.
I check all bugs reports of 5.0 to now in Mantis for if still relevant.
Test on Linux gives only one red .
Wish change status to beta, close any new thing and only acept fixes.
And all Chris said and more could be 5.3 plan.

Edgar
@morplenauta

On 23/07/2018, 23:24, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 06:54:55PM -0700, Chris Cunningham wrote:
> Just
> noticing the number of things that at least one person has flagged for
>
> 'after 5.2':
>
> * ProvideAnswerNotification and UIManager (
>
> http://forum.world.st/ProvideAnswerNotification-and-UIManager-td5081488.html
>
> )
> * Making ServerDirectory example work (
>
> http://forum.world.st/ServerDirectory-example-login-is-dead-td5061704.html )
>
> * Fixing DateAndTimeLeapTest>>#testAsSeconds (
>
> http://forum.world.st/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=1294792&
> query=Some+failing+tests+in+Squeak5.2alpha&n=1294792
> )
> * Making EToys and
> Morphic separation clearer (
>
> http://forum.world.st/The-Inbox-Morphic-hjh-1453-mcz-td5079588.html#a5079826
>
> )
> * Make EToys unloadable (
>
> http://forum.world.st/The-Inbox-EToys-hjh-333-mcz-td5079273.html#a5079454 )
>
> * EToysProject (
>
> http://forum.world.st/MorphicProject-subclass-EtoysProject-td4974975i60.html#a
> 5078814
> )
> * HelpBrowser fixes for Text (
>
> http://forum.world.st/Improving-SqueakToolsHelp-class-gt-gt-fontSizeSummary-re
> veals-problems-in-Text-amp-styles-td5081938.html
> )
>
> Thanks,
> cbc

That
> is a good thing :-)  The items in this list are things that are likely
> introduce instability to trunk if we start working on them right now, so
it is
> better to wait for the release before pushing changes into the trunk
for
> these issues.

Let's focus on getting the 5.2 release done, including giving
> Edgar our full
support to close any issues that are critical to the release.
> Once that is
done, we can address the issues that are flagged for follow
> up.

Dave

Re: Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

fniephaus

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:02 AM Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think 5.2 is stable now.
I using as base for things I working on.
Could have a system on Linux box , use the share directory as link in Mac
and open from Mac and save changes.
So the .image works from Linux or from Mac remote on same network.
I check all bugs reports of 5.0 to now in Mantis for if still relevant.
Test on Linux gives only one red .
Wish change status to beta, close any new thing and only acept fixes.
And all Chris said and more could be 5.3 plan.

Edgar
@morplenauta

Hi Edgar,

Shall we update all VMs one more time before the release? I think I saw some SqueakSSL-related bug fixes we might want to ship with the new release.
On the other hand, we might want to test these VMs for a few days...

Cheers,
Fabio

On 23/07/2018, 23:24, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 06:54:55PM -0700, Chris Cunningham wrote:
> Just
> noticing the number of things that at least one person has flagged for
>
> 'after 5.2':
>
> * ProvideAnswerNotification and UIManager (
>
> http://forum.world.st/ProvideAnswerNotification-and-UIManager-td5081488.html
>
> )
> * Making ServerDirectory example work (
>
> http://forum.world.st/ServerDirectory-example-login-is-dead-td5061704.html )
>
> * Fixing DateAndTimeLeapTest>>#testAsSeconds (
>
> http://forum.world.st/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=1294792&
> query=Some+failing+tests+in+Squeak5.2alpha&n=1294792
> )
> * Making EToys and
> Morphic separation clearer (
>
> http://forum.world.st/The-Inbox-Morphic-hjh-1453-mcz-td5079588.html#a5079826
>
> )
> * Make EToys unloadable (
>
> http://forum.world.st/The-Inbox-EToys-hjh-333-mcz-td5079273.html#a5079454 )
>
> * EToysProject (
>
> http://forum.world.st/MorphicProject-subclass-EtoysProject-td4974975i60.html#a
> 5078814
> )
> * HelpBrowser fixes for Text (
>
> http://forum.world.st/Improving-SqueakToolsHelp-class-gt-gt-fontSizeSummary-re
> veals-problems-in-Text-amp-styles-td5081938.html
> )
>
> Thanks,
> cbc

That
> is a good thing :-)  The items in this list are things that are likely
> introduce instability to trunk if we start working on them right now, so
it is
> better to wait for the release before pushing changes into the trunk
for
> these issues.

Let's focus on getting the 5.2 release done, including giving
> Edgar our full
support to close any issues that are critical to the release.
> Once that is
done, we can address the issues that are flagged for follow
> up.

Dave

Re: Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

Levente Uzonyi
On Tue, 24 Jul 2018, Fabio Niephaus wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:02 AM Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       I think 5.2 is stable now.
>       I using as base for things I working on.
>       Could have a system on Linux box , use the share directory as link in Mac
>       and open from Mac and save changes.
>       So the .image works from Linux or from Mac remote on same network.
>       I check all bugs reports of 5.0 to now in Mantis for if still relevant.
>       Test on Linux gives only one red .
>       Wish change status to beta, close any new thing and only acept fixes.
>       And all Chris said and more could be 5.3 plan.
>
>       Edgar
>       @morplenauta
>

> Hi Edgar,
>
> Shall we update all VMs one more time before the release? I think I saw some SqueakSSL-related bug fixes we might want to ship with the new
> release.
Definitely. But before that, I'd prefer to have this integrated:
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/273

Levente

> [...]
>       >
>       > Thanks,
>       > cbc
>
>       That
>       > is a good thing :-)  The items in this list are things that are likely
>       > introduce instability to trunk if we start working on them right now, so
>       it is
>       > better to wait for the release before pushing changes into the trunk
>       for
>       > these issues.
>
>       Let's focus on getting the 5.2 release done, including giving
>       > Edgar our full
>       support to close any issues that are critical to the release.
>       > Once that is
>       done, we can address the issues that are flagged for follow
>       > up.
>
>       Dave

Re: Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

Re: [squeak-dev] Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release') Yes still is a red test on Mac
We could wait until you're ready
Send me links of latest VM for Mac,Linux and Mac and I download and test.

On 24/07/2018, 05:51, "Fabio Niephaus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Shall we update all VMs one more time before the release? I think I saw some SqueakSSL-related bug fixes we might want to ship with the new release.

Re: [Vm-dev] Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

Hannes Hirzel
As well manual tests mentioned in the 'Test plans' thread have to be
re-done and confirmed that they now pass

For example this one

Installation of Metacello
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6157
https://github.com/Metacello/metacello

lead to a VM crash.

I assume it now passed, but have not done the test.

--Hannes

Re: [Vm-dev] Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

Tobias Pape

> On 24.07.2018, at 12:42, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We need signed VM for Windows to avoid the security warning issues.
> Are there similar issues for Mac ?

We have a signed VM for mac.

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Best,
> Karl
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 at 12:10, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As well manual tests mentioned in the 'Test plans' thread have to be
> re-done and confirmed that they now pass
>
> For example this one
>
> Installation of Metacello
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6157
> https://github.com/Metacello/metacello
>
> lead to a VM crash.
>
> I assume it now passed, but have not done the test.
>
> --Hannes

Re: [Vm-dev] Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

Edgar De Cleene
Installer ensureRecentMetacello works on Mac with
http://ftp.squeak.org/5.2alpha/Squeak5.2alpha-18150-32bit/Squeak5.2alpha-181
50-32bit-201804030952-macOS.dmg extracted and move to Application folder

On 24/07/2018, 07:10, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As well manual tests mentioned in the 'Test plans' thread have to be
re-done
> and confirmed that they now pass

For example this one

Installation of
> Metacello
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6157
https://github.com/Metacello/meta
> cello

lead to a VM crash.

I assume it now passed, but have not done the
> test.

--Hannes

Re: [Vm-dev] Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

Karl Ramberg
There are 39Deprecated, 45Deprecated and 46Deprecated etc.
How long should wait before they are removed from trunk ?

Best,
Karl

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 1:02 PM Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
Installer ensureRecentMetacello works on Mac with
http://ftp.squeak.org/5.2alpha/Squeak5.2alpha-18150-32bit/Squeak5.2alpha-181
50-32bit-201804030952-macOS.dmg
extracted and move to Application folder

On 24/07/2018, 07:10, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As well manual tests mentioned in the 'Test plans' thread have to be
re-done
> and confirmed that they now pass

For example this one

Installation of
> Metacello
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6157
https://github.com/Metacello/meta
> cello

lead to a VM crash.

I assume it now passed, but have not done the
> test.

--Hannes

Re: [Vm-dev] Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

Tobias Pape

> On 24.07.2018, at 20:57, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There are 39Deprecated, 45Deprecated and 46Deprecated etc.
> How long should wait before they are removed from trunk ?

Those should be remove _immediately after_ the next release.

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Best,
> Karl
>

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 1:02 PM Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Installer ensureRecentMetacello works on Mac with
> http://ftp.squeak.org/5.2alpha/Squeak5.2alpha-18150-32bit/Squeak5.2alpha-181
> 50-32bit-201804030952-macOS.dmg extracted and move to Application folder
>

> On 24/07/2018, 07:10, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > As well manual tests mentioned in the 'Test plans' thread have to be
> re-done
> > and confirmed that they now pass
>
> For example this one
>
> Installation of
> > Metacello
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6157
> https://github.com/Metacello/meta
> > cello
>
> lead to a VM crash.
>
> I assume it now passed, but have not done the
> > test.
>
> --Hannes

Re: Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

patrick.rein
Hi Edgar,

I have opened up the 5.2 alpha (18167, 64bit, Windows 10) and noticed a few things we might want to fix before the release:
- Without adjusting the window size after opening the image the following happens: When starting the UI configuration assistant the list of themes and visual settings options is too long. It moves into the "Previous" and "Next" buttons
- Test failures:
  - BrowserTest>>#testAlphabetizeMessageCategories
  - BrowserTest>>#testMessageCategoryList
- I have found an issue in the MailSender infrastructure. It is a proper fault with some methods missing from the class. As I have done the changes previously, I have a fix ready. Should I commit it?

Bests
Patrick

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 at 1:45 pm, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Edgar,

I have opened up the 5.2 alpha (18167, 64bit, Windows 10) and noticed a few things we might want to fix before the release:
- Without adjusting the window size after opening the image the following happens: When starting the UI configuration assistant the list of themes and visual settings options is too long. It moves into the "Previous" and "Next" buttons

Marcel and I are aware of that problem, but have yet not found a proper fix. The root problem is that the window size is incorrect. Our CI infrastructure does not have a real display and the virtual one appears to be too small for the dimensions needed to make the UI work correctly. Another fix would be to make the UI 800x600 compatible, not sure if that's an option.

Fabio

> [...]

>> )
>>
>> Thanks,
>> cbc
>
>That
>> is a good thing :-)  The items in this list are things that are likely
>> introduce instability to trunk if we start working on them right now, so
>it is
>> better to wait for the release before pushing changes into the trunk
>for
>> these issues.
>
>Let's focus on getting the 5.2 release done, including giving
>> Edgar our full
>support to close any issues that are critical to the release.
>> Once that is
>done, we can address the issues that are flagged for follow
>> up.
>
>Dave

Re: Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

Ok
I working on 32 bit FunSqueak and also found issues I send tomorrow to list.
Added yours.
But freezing 5.2 only means focus in fix bugs

  -
> BrowserTest>>#testMessageCategoryList
- I have found an issue in the
> MailSender infrastructure. It is a proper fault with some methods missing from
> the class. As I have done the changes previously, I have a fix ready. Should I
> commit it?

Bests
Patrick

Re: Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

timrowledge

> On 12-08-2018, at 5:02 AM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Marcel and I are aware of that problem, but have yet not found a proper fix. The root problem is that the window size is incorrect. Our CI infrastructure does not have a real display and the virtual one appears to be too small for the dimensions needed to make the UI work correctly. Another fix would be to make the UI 800x600 compatible, not sure if that's an option.

I'm not sure if it's still in there (really, it should never have been but that's a different story) but the image header used to have some data specifying a window size. You *could* do a little header manipulation to set it to whatever size you think appropriate post-save.

tim
Useful random insult:- Can easily be confused with facts.

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 7:24 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12-08-2018, at 5:02 AM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Marcel and I are aware of that problem, but have yet not found a proper fix. The root problem is that the window size is incorrect. Our CI infrastructure does not have a real display and the virtual one appears to be too small for the dimensions needed to make the UI work correctly. Another fix would be to make the UI 800x600 compatible, not sure if that's an option.

I'm not sure if it's still in there (really, it should never have been but that's a different story) but the image header used to have some data specifying a window size. You *could* do a little header manipulation to set it to whatever size you think appropriate post-save.

It's still there, but I'd like to avoid manipulating the header manually. The VM should do the right thing anyway...

Fabio

tim
Useful random insult:- Can easily be confused with facts.

Re: Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

timrowledge

> On 12-08-2018, at 1:33 PM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 7:24 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]
> I'm not sure if it's still in there (really, it should never have been but that's a different story) but the image header used to have some data specifying a window size. You *could* do a little header manipulation to set it to whatever size you think appropriate post-save.
>
> It's still there, but I'd like to avoid manipulating the header manually. The VM should do the right thing anyway...

Well, now that is an interesting can of annelids to access. I've long argued that there should be no need for that info in the header because there should be no window getting opened until and unless the image code requests it. The RISC OS vm for example only opens the main window if a copyBits writes something to the Display form; that way a headless system needs no silly command line flag etc - just have your image not write to a window! I mean, wow, how innovative is that?

What I claim ought to happen is something along the lines of
image starts.
some code writes to a window.
image works out useful things like host screen size(s), any environment or config file or in-image size requests and how to format the content to suit.
Host window opens and displays said content.

Since we can't do all that this week, I suspect that fudging the image header data is probably the least-worst solution for now. It might be possible to set the build machines to pretend to have a suitable window size in some way but you're probably looking at some time-consuming digging to find out how to get it right for each platform.

tim
"#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))  - Shakespeare."

Re: Finishing 5.2 (was Re: Project for 'after 5.2 release')

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12-08-2018, at 1:33 PM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 7:24 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]
> I'm not sure if it's still in there (really, it should never have been but that's a different story) but the image header used to have some data specifying a window size. You *could* do a little header manipulation to set it to whatever size you think appropriate post-save.
>
> It's still there, but I'd like to avoid manipulating the header manually. The VM should do the right thing anyway...

Well, now that is an interesting can of annelids to access. I've long argued that there should be no need for that info in the header because there should be no window getting opened until and unless the image code requests it. The RISC OS vm for example only opens the main window if a copyBits writes something to the Display form; that way a headless system needs no silly command line flag etc - just have your image not write to a window! I mean, wow, how innovative is that?

What I claim ought to happen is something along the lines of
image starts.
some code writes to a window.
image works out useful things like host screen size(s), any environment or config file or in-image size requests and how to format the content to suit.
Host window opens and displays said content.

+1

Edgar's suggestion of 1024x768 is a sensible one.  One could indent by 32@32 to allow for host menu bars etc.

tim
"#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))  - Shakespeare."

best, Eliot

12