Project thumbnail morph loss in 5.2?

Tim Johnson-2
Hi,

I wanted to experiment with sharing a Project across images.

I did World menu->open->morphic project.  (I can enter it and return, or
not enter it at all, and it has no effect on what I'm reporting here.)

I then menu-clicked inside the project's thumbnail and chose "see if
server version is more recent."

This brings up a chooser dialog and makes the project thumbnail morph
disappear.

Desired behavior:  Seems like when the chooser dialog appears, the
thumbnail morph shouldn't disappear.

(The project still appears in the Projects menu on the docking bar.)

I don't know if there's any way to get the thumbnail back...

I can file a bug in Mantis if desired.

Thanks,
Tim J

Re: Project thumbnail morph loss in 5.2?

marcel.taeumel
Hi Tim,

that behavior has been around for quite some time now. I traced it back to
at least Squeak 4.0. Yes, the desired behavior you described is reasonable.
We should fix that. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Tim Johnson-2 wrote

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to experiment with sharing a Project across images.
>
> I did World menu->open->morphic project.  (I can enter it and return, or
> not enter it at all, and it has no effect on what I'm reporting here.)
>
> I then menu-clicked inside the project's thumbnail and chose "see if
> server version is more recent."
>
> This brings up a chooser dialog and makes the project thumbnail morph
> disappear.
>
> Desired behavior:  Seems like when the chooser dialog appears, the
> thumbnail morph shouldn't disappear.
>
> (The project still appears in the Projects menu on the docking bar.)
>
> I don't know if there's any way to get the thumbnail back...
>
> I can file a bug in Mantis if desired.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim J

Re: Project thumbnail morph loss in 5.2?

Edgar De Cleene
As I have tons of old images, the last one which do not show this trouble is
Squeak 3.6 latest update 5424 ,so the cure is revert to this.

Edgar
@morplenauta

On 02/12/2018, 08:06, "marcel.taeumel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tim,

that behavior has been around for quite some time now. I traced it
> back to
at least Squeak 4.0. Yes, the desired behavior you described is
> reasonable.
We should fix that. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Tim Johnson-2 wrote

--
Sent from:
> http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Dev-f45488.html

Re: Project thumbnail morph loss in 5.2?

Chris Muller-3
On a side note -- another way to share a single Project instance
across images is to put it into a Magma database.  Since its early
days, Magma has code specifically to support Projects, allowing
multiple clients to view and use the Project simultaneously.  A client
can save updates to the Project by sending the message #commit (to the
Session object connected to the DB in which the Project resides),
after which other clients may send #refresh to instantly see those
updates.
On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 1:58 PM Tim Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to experiment with sharing a Project across images.
>
> I did World menu->open->morphic project.  (I can enter it and return, or
> not enter it at all, and it has no effect on what I'm reporting here.)
>
> I then menu-clicked inside the project's thumbnail and chose "see if
> server version is more recent."
>
> This brings up a chooser dialog and makes the project thumbnail morph
> disappear.
>
> Desired behavior:  Seems like when the chooser dialog appears, the
> thumbnail morph shouldn't disappear.
>
> (The project still appears in the Projects menu on the docking bar.)
>
> I don't know if there's any way to get the thumbnail back...
>
> I can file a bug in Mantis if desired.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim J

Re: Project thumbnail morph loss in 5.2?

Karl Ramberg
You can explore ProjectHistory currentHistory mostRecentCopy.

Find and select the project that is missing a window.
 ProjectViewMorph openOn: self
DoIt the code pane.

I'm not sure why the morph dissaprears

Best,
Karl

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 8:58 PM Tim Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to experiment with sharing a Project across images.

I did World menu->open->morphic project.  (I can enter it and return, or
not enter it at all, and it has no effect on what I'm reporting here.)

I then menu-clicked inside the project's thumbnail and chose "see if
server version is more recent."

This brings up a chooser dialog and makes the project thumbnail morph
disappear.

Desired behavior:  Seems like when the chooser dialog appears, the
thumbnail morph shouldn't disappear.

(The project still appears in the Projects menu on the docking bar.)

I don't know if there's any way to get the thumbnail back...

I can file a bug in Mantis if desired.

Thanks,
Tim J

Re: Project thumbnail morph loss in 5.2?

K K Subbu
On 28/11/18 1:28 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:

> I did World menu->open->morphic project.  (I can enter it and return, or
> not enter it at all, and it has no effect on what I'm reporting here.)
>
> I then menu-clicked inside the project's thumbnail and chose "see if
> server version is more recent."
>
> This brings up a chooser dialog and makes the project thumbnail morph
> disappear.

The project view morph is enclosed in a system window which gets hidden
while displaying a progress dialog to check on server. If the dialog is
dismissed, it continues to stay hidden :-(. I suspect this is because

ProjectViewMorph>>checkForNewerVersionAndLoad
      self withProgressDo: [
        project loadFromServer
      ]

loadFromServer displays a progress bar when required, so I wonder why
withProgressDo: is required again. If I remove this check and change to

        project loadFromServer

then the problem gets solved. I don't know enough about project loading
to confirm if this is indeed the correct solution.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Project thumbnail morph loss in 5.2?

Karl Ramberg
The problem does not happen when ProjectViewInWindow preference is false.

In ComplexProgressIndicator>>withProgressDo:
Comment out
targetOwner ifNotNil: [targetOwner hide].

I'm not sure why the owner of the ProjectViewMorph should ever hide here.
There could be some edge case I'm not aware of.

If nobody see an issue with this I'll make a change and push to trunk

Cheers,
Karl

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:47 AM K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 28/11/18 1:28 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:

> I did World menu->open->morphic project.  (I can enter it and return, or
> not enter it at all, and it has no effect on what I'm reporting here.)
>
> I then menu-clicked inside the project's thumbnail and chose "see if
> server version is more recent."
>
> This brings up a chooser dialog and makes the project thumbnail morph
> disappear.

The project view morph is enclosed in a system window which gets hidden
while displaying a progress dialog to check on server. If the dialog is
dismissed, it continues to stay hidden :-(. I suspect this is because

ProjectViewMorph>>checkForNewerVersionAndLoad
      self withProgressDo: [
        project loadFromServer
      ]

loadFromServer displays a progress bar when required, so I wonder why
withProgressDo: is required again. If I remove this check and change to

        project loadFromServer

then the problem gets solved. I don't know enough about project loading
to confirm if this is indeed the correct solution.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Project thumbnail morph loss in 5.2?

K K Subbu
There is also a targetMorph show later on in the method that has to be
removed.

I doubt whether the preference has anything to do with the bug.

While loading from the server, the system window (or the thumbnail) is
hidden and a translucent morph is placed over its bounds. When the
indicate that the thumbnail could change when a new version is loaded.

This is holiday season so feedback may be slow in coming. In any case,
you could post a fix to the Inbox to trigger discussions.

Regards .. Subbu

On 06/12/18 3:25 AM, karl ramberg wrote:

> The problem does not happen when ProjectViewInWindow preference is false.
>
> In ComplexProgressIndicator>>withProgressDo:
> Comment out
> targetOwner ifNotNil: [targetOwner hide].
>
> I'm not sure why the owner of the ProjectViewMorph should ever hide here.
> There could be some edge case I'm not aware of.
>
> If nobody see an issue with this I'll make a change and push to trunk
>
> Cheers,
> Karl
>

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:47 AM K K Subbu <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 28/11/18 1:28 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
>      >
>      > I did World menu->open->morphic project.  (I can enter it and
>     return, or
>      > not enter it at all, and it has no effect on what I'm reporting
>     here.)
>      >
>      > I then menu-clicked inside the project's thumbnail and chose "see if
>      > server version is more recent."
>      >
>      > This brings up a chooser dialog and makes the project thumbnail
>     morph
>      > disappear.
>
>     The project view morph is enclosed in a system window which gets hidden
>     while displaying a progress dialog to check on server. If the dialog is
>     dismissed, it continues to stay hidden :-(. I suspect this is because
>
>     ProjectViewMorph>>checkForNewerVersionAndLoad
>            self withProgressDo: [
>              project loadFromServer
>            ]
>
>     loadFromServer displays a progress bar when required, so I wonder why
>     withProgressDo: is required again. If I remove this check and change to
>
>              project loadFromServer
>
>     then the problem gets solved. I don't know enough about project loading
>     to confirm if this is indeed the correct solution.
>
>     Regards .. Subbu

Re: Project thumbnail morph loss in 5.2?

Karl Ramberg
The preference triggers the error because ProjectViewMorph has the SystemWindow as a owner and then it gets hidden when the targetOwner is hidden.
I have to look at the other users of this method to understand why the owner should be hidden. Nothing obvious comes to mind.

Best,
Karl

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 6:25 AM K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is also a targetMorph show later on in the method that has to be
removed.

I doubt whether the preference has anything to do with the bug.

While loading from the server, the system window (or the thumbnail) is
hidden and a translucent morph is placed over its bounds. When the
indicate that the thumbnail could change when a new version is loaded.

This is holiday season so feedback may be slow in coming. In any case,
you could post a fix to the Inbox to trigger discussions.

Regards .. Subbu

On 06/12/18 3:25 AM, karl ramberg wrote:
> The problem does not happen when ProjectViewInWindow preference is false.
>
> In ComplexProgressIndicator>>withProgressDo:
> Comment out
> targetOwner ifNotNil: [targetOwner hide].
>
> I'm not sure why the owner of the ProjectViewMorph should ever hide here.
> There could be some edge case I'm not aware of.
>
> If nobody see an issue with this I'll make a change and push to trunk
>
> Cheers,
> Karl
>

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:47 AM K K Subbu <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 28/11/18 1:28 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
>      >
>      > I did World menu->open->morphic project.  (I can enter it and
>     return, or
>      > not enter it at all, and it has no effect on what I'm reporting
>     here.)
>      >
>      > I then menu-clicked inside the project's thumbnail and chose "see if
>      > server version is more recent."
>      >
>      > This brings up a chooser dialog and makes the project thumbnail
>     morph
>      > disappear.
>
>     The project view morph is enclosed in a system window which gets hidden
>     while displaying a progress dialog to check on server. If the dialog is
>     dismissed, it continues to stay hidden :-(. I suspect this is because
>
>     ProjectViewMorph>>checkForNewerVersionAndLoad
>            self withProgressDo: [
>              project loadFromServer
>            ]
>
>     loadFromServer displays a progress bar when required, so I wonder why
>     withProgressDo: is required again. If I remove this check and change to
>
>              project loadFromServer
>
>     then the problem gets solved. I don't know enough about project loading
>     to confirm if this is indeed the correct solution.
>
>     Regards .. Subbu

Re: Project thumbnail morph loss in 5.2?

K K Subbu
targetOwner is not set in the "targetMorph ifNil:" part of the branch
but is used after this test. Will this be an issue?

Regards .. Subbu

On 06/12/18 11:06 PM, karl ramberg wrote:

> [...]
>      >            self withProgressDo: [
>      >              project loadFromServer
>      >            ]
>      >
>      >     loadFromServer displays a progress bar when required, so I
>     wonder why
>      >     withProgressDo: is required again. If I remove this check and
>     change to
>      >
>      >              project loadFromServer
>      >
>      >     then the problem gets solved. I don't know enough about
>     project loading
>      >     to confirm if this is indeed the correct solution.
>      >
>      >     Regards .. Subbu
>      >
>      >
>      >

Re: Project thumbnail morph loss in 5.2?

No,
targetOwner can be either  nil or some morph in this method.
It's not a problem to send 'show' to a morph that is already visible.

Best,
Karl