Promoting AIDA (comparation)

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi,

I've been watching AIDA without getting in since a year or so, because
I've choosen the Seaside path.

I like Seaside by its community, and its growing pace (the fact that
now GemStone supports says a lot). By I don't see it as "server
friendly" solution, it is... it populates the VM with a lot of copied
processes, and I don't see a scalability guideline other than having
many images running separately. It's not hard to scale that way, but
it smells to "can be done better".

On the other hand, AIDA also offers an stateful component based web
framework, without having to deal with continuations and all that
stuff.

What I'm asking here, mainly to Janko who is the lead developer, and
to anyone who has used both frameworks (Seaside and AIDA) is a
comparison table with strong and weak points of each framework. And
how both solves common web framework issues as session handling (with
or without authentication), RESTful URI's, parameter passing,
component nesting, page caching, and other stuff which has a percent
of buzz and a percent of real need.

Best regards,

--
Esteban A. Maringolo
eMaringolo en gmail.com

Promoting AIDA (comparation)

Janko Mivšek
Hi Esteban,

> I've been watching AIDA without getting in since a year or so, because
> I've choosen the Seaside path.
>
> I like Seaside by its community, and its growing pace (the fact that
> now GemStone supports says a lot). By I don't see it as "server
> friendly" solution, it is... it populates the VM with a lot of copied
> processes, and I don't see a scalability guideline other than having
> many images running separately. It's not hard to scale that way, but
> it smells to "can be done better".
>
> On the other hand, AIDA also offers an stateful component based web
> framework, without having to deal with continuations and all that
> stuff.
>
> What I'm asking here, mainly to Janko who is the lead developer, and
> to anyone who has used both frameworks (Seaside and AIDA) is a
> comparison table with strong and weak points of each framework. And
> how both solves common web framework issues as session handling (with
> or without authentication), RESTful URI's, parameter passing,
> component nesting, page caching, and other stuff which has a percent
> of buzz and a percent of real need.

Such comparison is obviously needed for anyone choosing among both
frameworks, but any attempt so far, be benchmarking or answering to
general questions, was strongly rejected from Seaside community.

What I would propose is that maybe you start composing such comparison
table with questions and answers for a Seaside side, then maybe someone
else already knowledgeable on Aida will answer for its side. We can then
discuss here about validity and correctness of that answers and later
invite even Seaside community to comment.

I can open a web page on www.aidaweb.si for now. I know, not quite a
neutral place, but we can find better one later.

What do you and others think?

Best regards
JAnko

--