Promoting Pharo

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Some rough & simple ideas...

1) Make Pharo visible on Rosetta.org

There is currently 1006 tasks (mini projects) implemented in 764
programming languages. Pharo is nowhere to be seen there, besides the
programming language entry on the wiki for Pharo still points to
pharo-project.org. This project has the advantage of exposing
programming languages with small tasks/problems any newbie can work on.
You always have the option to compare how it's done in your favorite
language with the one you're trying to learn. Rosetta.org is often a
useful and popular source for people wanting to learn a new programming
language by starting with some simple problems.

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Rosetta_Code

2) Hacker Public Radio (aka HPR)

This podcast has a big audience and lots of loyal followers. Anyone can
create a podcast and upload it there for broadcast. Normally, 99% the
podcasts are related to computer science, programming and technology.
It is a well-known and respected podcast as they have already created
over 3000 podcasts already (it's a daily podcast)! They are very
flexible on what you can talk about and pretty lax on the format : as
long as you talk about something you love and that could interested
other, it's fine with them!

http://hackerpublicradio.org/

3) FLOSS Weekly

Another well-known podcast with lots of listeners! They've already
covered Squeak and Seaside (long ago) but they haven't talked about
Pharo yet.  Randall (Schwartz) is always looking for new guests and new
subjects so I'm pretty sure having a podcast about Pharo would be easy
and quick!

https://twit.tv/shows/floss-weekly

4) CLBG

The Computer Language Benchmark Game is another good place to get
exposure. BUT I suggest we wait a bit before publishing code there as,
obviously, we won't get good numbers as compared to other languages...
Let's wait for Pablo to finish his threading stuff in the VM first...  ;)

https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/index.html

--
-----------------
Benoît St-Jean

Re: Promoting Pharo

NorbertHartl
Are the numbers the order in which you will do it?

Norbert

Re: Promoting Pharo

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list

I don't mind doing 1, 2 and 3 but you'd probably complain that if I do 2 and 3, you'll find my interview "too smalltalkish"  for your own taste...  ;) Unless you want to provide me with your official text that I'll just read?

Am 06.02.2020 um 12:22 schrieb Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email]>:

I don't mind doing 1, 2 and 3 but you'd probably complain that if I do 2 and 3, you'll find my interview "too smalltalkish"  for your own taste...  ;)

Please do! It is not important if it is to my taste or not. Why should it? If you do it you decide how it is done. That is exactly what we always try to explain. A community lives from its contributors and its shape is defined by whom contributes. Proposing work that someone else should do does not work.

Unless you want to provide me with your official text that I'll just read?

No, I don‘t want to do and it wasn‘t my proposal.

Norbert

On 2020-02-06 06:12, Norbert Hartl wrote:
Are the numbers the order in which you will do it?

Norbert

Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
"A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

Re: Promoting Pharo

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list

Really sorry for the tone of my last reply Norbert...  But I've had my share of "get the fuck out of this list" private emails tonight...

Truly sorry. :(