Proper ways to bind Amber to a Node backend

Proper ways to bind Amber to a Node backend

Bernat Romagosa
Hi list!

I'm developing a web app that uses NodeJs and ElasticSearch for the backend, and I want to buid the frontend in Amber, but I haven't been around since some releases ago and I wanted to know if there are any best-practice strategies laid out already.

My first two ideas are:

a) Build my own client-server protocol, either something of my own over websockets or just plain REST

b) Use ExpressJs with an EJS template, include Amber in the template, and share data back and forth with the server via HTTP queries and EJS key-values

None of these look good enough to me, so if anybody has any suggestion or experience on building similar solutions, I'd love to hear!

Thanks!

Bernat.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Proper ways to bind Amber to a Node backend

Nicolas Petton
Hi!

Bernat Romagosa writes:

> Hi list!
>
> I'm developing a web app that uses NodeJs and ElasticSearch for the
> backend, and I want to buid the frontend in Amber, but I haven't been
> around since some releases ago and I wanted to know if there are any
> best-practice strategies laid out already.
>
> My first two ideas are:
>
> a) Build my own client-server protocol, either something of my own over
> websockets or just plain REST

There's no builtin solution (yet) for that.

> b) Use ExpressJs with an EJS <http://embeddedjs.com/> template, include
> Amber in the template, and share data back and forth with the server via
> HTTP queries and EJS key-values

I've never liked templates. I would use the HTMLCanvas in Amber
instead. Is there a reason why you would prefer a template engine?

Cheers,
Nico

Re: Proper ways to bind Amber to a Node backend

Bernat Romagosa
Hi Nico,

The only reason to use templates was the ability to pass values between server and client for free. I liked the first approach better, but that'd mean more work for me, that's why I was asking :)

I recall someone built some kind of double-binding library for Amber, but I can't remember what it was about exactly...

Thanks!

Bernat.

Re: Proper ways to bind Amber to a Node backend

Bernat Romagosa
Ok, found it! Trapped, by Herby.

Gonna take a look :)

2013/12/19 Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
Hi Nico,

The only reason to use templates was the ability to pass values between server and client for free. I liked the first approach better, but that'd mean more work for me, that's why I was asking :)

I recall someone built some kind of double-binding library for Amber, but I can't remember what it was about exactly...

Thanks!

Bernat.

--
Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Proper ways to bind Amber to a Node backend

Nicolas Petton
yes, it might very well be what you're looking for :)

Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Proper ways to bind Amber to a Node backend

Herby Vojčík

Bernat Romagosa wrote:
> Ok, found it! Trapped, by Herby.
>
> Gonna take a look :)

:)

Unfortunately, it does not pass data between client and server (yet),
just between AppModel/ViewModel and View inside client (like AngularJS).

Though the idea of blackboard (being at the center of Trapped) being
automatically synchronized with a copy at the server is something I have
in mind for long - I just had no time to do this step yet.

Herby

> 2013/12/19 Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hi Nico,
>
>     The only reason to use templates was the ability to pass values
>     between server and client for free. I liked the first approach
>     better, but that'd mean more work for me, that's why I was asking :)
>
>     I recall someone built some kind of double-binding library for
>     Amber, but I can't remember what it was about exactly...
>
>     Thanks!
>
>     Bernat.
>

> --
> Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Proper ways to bind Amber to a Node backend

Bernat Romagosa
Thanks Herby!

In this case I'll roll my sleeves and define my own protocol over HTTP :)

Cheers,
Bernat.

2013/12/19 Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]>

Bernat Romagosa wrote:
Ok, found it! Trapped, by Herby.

Gonna take a look :)

:)