Properly removing a site

Rob Rothwell
Hello...

I am [still] playing around with garbage collection, which has a new twist for me due to using SandstoneDB--if the image crashes and what is on disk becomes out of sync with what is in memory when you reload...well, you probably get the idea.  Lots of AIDA internal references that can't go away until you work through the in-memory list and remove anything that is not on disk.

Anyway, I frequently get myself into trouble trying to clean up the urlResolver for the site and find myself needing to just remove the site and try again!

However, when I do something like:

(AIDASite named: 'datamanager') urlResolver removeObject: DataManager singleton.  "remove the domain object from the site"

followed by:

SwazooServer singleton removeSite: (AIDASite named: 'datamanager').  "stop and remove my site!"

then garbage collect like we have talked about before, and then inspect

AIDASite allInstances,

It still exists....lots of references to it in URLResolver(s), Security Managers, Statistics, etc...

What is the right way to just "vaporize" a site?!

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Properly removing a site

Janko Mivšek
Hi Rob,

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> What is the right way to just "vaporize" a site?!

Try to first stop a whole Swazoo, then do that nightly cleanup so that
there won't be any HTTPRequest anywhere, then maybe you'll be able to
garbage collect it. It seems that we have somewhere in Swazoo object
references, which don't "die" and hold references to the AIDASite. I
also had similar problem and so far didn't manage to solve it.

This problem also arise when you try to serialize a whole AIDASite to
disk (with BOSS in VW for instance). Because of such dangling references
  you don't serialize only desired AIDASite but a whole SwazooServer
with all other sites. This problem is definitely worth looking at...

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web