Protecting a Dolphin exe with Armadillo/Software Passport

Protecting a Dolphin exe with Armadillo/Software Passport

Don-2
Hello,
I've rewritten my shareware program and converted it from C++ to Dolphin
Smalltalk. I hope to release the new version soon, but I haven't been able
to get the Armadillo protection system to work with my new Dolphin EXE.

I'm using Dolphin Smalltalk Professional  5.1.4 and Armadillo version 3.77
Professional Edition. The error message says that the executable file is
corrupt.

I read in an earlier newsgroup message that the Armadillo option of having
the data placed at the end of the EXE worked, and also to use the "protect,
fake data location and headers" option on the "Data after programs" tab.
Unfortunately, on more recent versions of Armadillo, these options are on
radio buttons on the same page, so can't both be set. I asked Armadillo
(Silicon Realms) to have a look at my EXE for me. They say "Unfortunately it
looks like Dolphin SmallTalk creates a slightly non-standard PE executable
file which makes it incompatible with SoftwarePassport/Armadillo".

I'd like to continue using Armadillo, if possible because existing license
holders will get an automatic upgrade to the new version, and also keys are
generated automatically for purchasers.

Does anybody use Armadillo successfully with their Dolphin applications? If
so, please could you let me know the secret?

Thanks,
Don

Re: Protecting a Dolphin exe with Armadillo/Software Passport

Blair McGlashan-4
"Don" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hello,
> I've rewritten my shareware program and converted it from C++ to Dolphin
> Smalltalk. I hope to release the new version soon, but I haven't been able
> to get the Armadillo protection system to work with my new Dolphin EXE.
>
> I'm using Dolphin Smalltalk Professional  5.1.4 and Armadillo version 3.77
> Professional Edition. The error message says that the executable file is
> corrupt.
>
> I read in an earlier newsgroup message that the Armadillo option of having
> the data placed at the end of the EXE worked, and also to use the
> "protect, fake data location and headers" option on the "Data after
> programs" tab. Unfortunately, on more recent versions of Armadillo, these
> options are on radio buttons on the same page, so can't both be set. I
> asked Armadillo (Silicon Realms) to have a look at my EXE for me. They say
> "Unfortunately it looks like Dolphin SmallTalk creates a slightly
> non-standard PE executable file which makes it incompatible with
> SoftwarePassport/Armadillo".
>
> I'd like to continue using Armadillo, if possible because existing license
> holders will get an automatic upgrade to the new version, and also keys
> are generated automatically for purchasers.
>
> Does anybody use Armadillo successfully with their Dolphin applications?
> If so, please could you let me know the secret?

Yes, unfortunately the Armadillo support guys are correct. The executables
generated by Dolphin versions earlier than X6 are not compatible with tools
that modify the executable (e.g. some encryption & compression utilities),
unless they can be configured to allow extra data at the end of the
executable. Dolphin 6 executables store the image in the resource segment
and should be compatible with all such tools. Can you not keep using the
older version of Armadillo until you are ready to upgrade to Dolphin 6
(should you wish to do that)?

Regards

Blair

Re: Protecting a Dolphin exe with Armadillo/Software Passport

Don-2
"Blair McGlashan" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Yes, unfortunately the Armadillo support guys are correct. The executables
> generated by Dolphin versions earlier than X6 are not compatible with
> tools that modify the executable (e.g. some encryption & compression
> utilities), unless they can be configured to allow extra data at the end
> of the executable. Dolphin 6 executables store the image in the resource
> segment and should be compatible with all such tools. Can you not keep
> using the older version of Armadillo until you are ready to upgrade to
> Dolphin 6 (should you wish to do that)?
>
> Regards
>
> Blair
Thanks Blair. I haven't an older version of Armadillo, but it's good news
that Dolphin 6 should work with Armadillo and other protection systems. I've
been looking for a reason to upgrade to Dolphin 6 and now I'm glad I've got
one.

Regards
Don

Re: Protecting a Dolphin exe with Armadillo/Software Passport

Steve Alan Waring
Hi Don,

I use Armadillo professional 3.78 + Dolphin 5 executables, without any
problems. I have also tested 3.78 with Dolphin 6, and it seemed to work
OK.

I believe you can still download custom builds of 3.78 ... see the
sticky thread in their forums.

I have not upgraded to Arm v4, so I can not comment on that.

Steve

Re: Protecting a Dolphin exe with Armadillo/Software Passport

Don-2
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information. I've already upgraded to Dolphin 6. I thought it
would be be a good idea to do it before the new version of my program has
been released. It's strange that my custom version 3.77 of Armadillo didn't
work with my Dolphin 5 executable, but your 3.78 version does with your
executables. If my Dolphin 6 executable doesn't work with Armadillo, I'll
try downloading version 3.78 of Armadillo as you suggested.

Regards,
Don