Protecting an Amber installation on a public host

Protecting an Amber installation on a public host

Andy Burnett
How does one restrict login/access to an Amber installation running on a host?

Is this something I set within a Node installation, or is there a way within Amber?  I don't think I have any control over the web server being used by e.g. Nodejitsu, so I assume it has to be possible at one of those two levels.

Cheers
Andy

Re: Protecting an Amber installation on a public host

xekoukou
You'd have to write your own logic to the server. You can load the server of amber in the browser , it's the FileServer.* files. Use them as a template to create your own server. There are already session modules
in nodejs. I havent used any yet but this is where I would start.

The general idea though is this: Send the server your username and password. The server checks if they exist and returns a unique id that the user needs to send in every new request so that the server identifies him.

2013/4/14 Andy Burnett <[hidden email]>
How does one restrict login/access to an Amber installation running on a host?

Is this something I set within a Node installation, or is there a way within Amber?  I don't think I have any control over the web server being used by e.g. Nodejitsu, so I assume it has to be possible at one of those two levels.

Cheers
Andy

Sincerely yours,
     Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis

Re: Protecting an Amber installation on a public host

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Andy,

it depends on the scenario.

If you are serving an Amber client only application wich runs in the Browser but does not need to push data to the host you can for example use .htaccess/.htpasswd files to protect other people from even loading the html files.

If you are able to run the Amber server it has switches for setting username/password upon startup to prevent users of the application from commiting code.
Please note that it is using Basic HTTP authentication is not really safe.
You could also enhance the server to hand out files only after a successful authentication.

Or you can write your own server implementation using Node.js as Apostolis already suggested.

Best,
Manfred

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 2:04 AM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
How does one restrict login/access to an Amber installation running on a host?

Is this something I set within a Node installation, or is there a way within Amber?  I don't think I have any control over the web server being used by e.g. Nodejitsu, so I assume it has to be possible at one of those two levels.

Cheers
Andy

Re: Protecting an Amber installation on a public host

Andy Burnett
Thanks guys,

Manfred can you tell me more about these switches. Are they visible in the class browser, or it is something I set via a config file in the amber server directory?

Cheers
Andy

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks guys,

Manfred can you tell me more about these switches. Are they visible in the class browser, or it is something I set via a config file in the amber server directory?

Just start the server with the following command:

./bin/server --username John --password Doe

assuming you are currently in the top-level Amber directory.

Right now I am in the middle of rewriting how server commandline parameters work internally.
But this does not affect the --username and --password settings.

[...]

Thanks Manfred,
I will try that.

Cheers
Andy