ProtoObject initialize

Guillermo Polito
hanged my image :3.

Is that something I was not supposed to do?

Guille

Re: ProtoObject initialize

Guillermo Polito
Answering myself, thanks to Esteban:

It hangs because It does not understand #initialize, so It throws a DNU, and it also does not understand #doesNotUnderstand:

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
hanged my image :3.

Is that something I was not supposed to do?

Guille

Re: ProtoObject initialize

Hernan Wilkinson-3
I don't understand why it does not understand #doesNotUnderstand:... shouldn't ProtoObject understand #doesNotUnderstand:??? (it is not a joke, I'm serious)

--
Hernán Wilkinson
Agile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching
Address: Paraguay 523, Floor 7 N, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: ProtoObject initialize

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Hi Guillermo,

The expression "ProtoObject initialize" does actually work.
ProtoObject metaclass inherits the initialize method from Behavior.
But, running it resets the ProtoObject critical IVs (superclass, methodDict and format).
Hence the hang.

Noury

On 22 mars 2012, at 22:44, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> Answering myself, thanks to Esteban:
>
> It hangs because It does not understand #initialize, so It throws a DNU, and it also does not understand #doesNotUnderstand:
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hanged my image :3.
>
> Is that something I was not supposed to do?
>
> Guille

Noury
--
http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi
http://www.kroobe.com/profile/noury

Afin de contribuer au respect de l'environnement,
merci de n'imprimer ce courriel qu'en cas de necessite

Re: ProtoObject initialize

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guillermo,

The expression "ProtoObject initialize" does actually work.
ProtoObject metaclass inherits the initialize method from Behavior.
But, running it resets the ProtoObject critical IVs (superclass, methodDict and format).
Hence the hang.

Exactly. Otherwise, the VM would have crashed (not hanged) with an error saying "recursive does not understand". Check the VM code for more details.

Noury

On 22 mars 2012, at 22:44, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> Answering myself, thanks to Esteban:
>
> It hangs because It does not understand #initialize, so It throws a DNU, and it also does not understand #doesNotUnderstand:
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hanged my image :3.
>
> Is that something I was not supposed to do?
>
> Guille

Noury
--
http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi
http://www.kroobe.com/profile/noury

Afin de contribuer au respect de l'environnement,
merci de n'imprimer ce courriel qu'en cas de necessite

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: ProtoObject initialize

Guillermo Polito
Now, re-initializing classes is kind of weird :P.  I should only initialize classes with it's own #initialize and their subclasses -only if they have class instance methods :/.

ufa

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 5:29 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guillermo,

The expression "ProtoObject initialize" does actually work.
ProtoObject metaclass inherits the initialize method from Behavior.
But, running it resets the ProtoObject critical IVs (superclass, methodDict and format).
Hence the hang.

Exactly. Otherwise, the VM would have crashed (not hanged) with an error saying "recursive does not understand". Check the VM code for more details.

Noury

On 22 mars 2012, at 22:44, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> Answering myself, thanks to Esteban:
>
> It hangs because It does not understand #initialize, so It throws a DNU, and it also does not understand #doesNotUnderstand:
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hanged my image :3.
>
> Is that something I was not supposed to do?
>
> Guille

Noury
--
http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi
http://www.kroobe.com/profile/noury

Afin de contribuer au respect de l'environnement,
merci de n'imprimer ce courriel qu'en cas de necessite

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: ProtoObject initialize

Noury Bouraqadi-2
exactly. The semantics of initialize for classes is different from the one for plain instances.