Protocol Buffers anyone?

Göran Krampe
Hi!

I want to build an API for Riak (awesome NoSQL db) and there is a choice
of using HTTP or Protocol Buffers. Evidently Protocol Buffers offer a
quite higher degree of performance so I am leaning towards that.

Now, has anyone dabbled with implementing Protocol Buffers for
Squeak/Pharo/Smalltalk? Couldn't find anything.

regards, Göran

Re: Protocol Buffers anyone?

Andreas.Raab
On 12/1/2010 5:26 AM, Göran Krampe wrote:
> I want to build an API for Riak (awesome NoSQL db) and there is a choice
> of using HTTP or Protocol Buffers. Evidently Protocol Buffers offer a
> quite higher degree of performance so I am leaning towards that.
>
> Now, has anyone dabbled with implementing Protocol Buffers for
> Squeak/Pharo/Smalltalk? Couldn't find anything.

I haven't seen anything. But from my understanding protocol buffers are
an (efficient) RPC data representation, not a transport protocol like
http. In other words, the comparison between protocol buffers and http
doesn't make sense at this level (protocol buffers can be used WITH
http), it should be between protocol buffers and JSON, XML or some other
serialization format. You might want to dig into that first before
making a decision.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Protocol Buffers anyone?

Göran Krampe
Hi!

On 12/01/2010 04:59 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 12/1/2010 5:26 AM, Göran Krampe wrote:
>> I want to build an API for Riak (awesome NoSQL db) and there is a choice
>> of using HTTP or Protocol Buffers. Evidently Protocol Buffers offer a
>> quite higher degree of performance so I am leaning towards that.
>>
>> Now, has anyone dabbled with implementing Protocol Buffers for
>> Squeak/Pharo/Smalltalk? Couldn't find anything.
>
> I haven't seen anything. But from my understanding protocol buffers are
> an (efficient) RPC data representation, not a transport protocol like
> http. In other words, the comparison between protocol buffers and http

Yes.

> doesn't make sense at this level (protocol buffers can be used WITH
> http), it should be between protocol buffers and JSON, XML or some other
> serialization format. You might want to dig into that first before
> making a decision.

Sure, but you may have misunderstood me - there *are* two available APIs
to use for Riak - one is HTTP based with JSON and the other is a binary
Socket protocol using Protocol Buffers. Sorry for being too inspecific.

Either one would be awesome to have - and if I opted for the HTTP
protocol I would use your WebClient (MIT license now, right?).

And btw, Riak - for those who do not know - is IMHO the most promising
NoSQL db of them all. It's coolest feature is pure
"just-add-another-box"-scalability - it is AFAIK the most Dynamo-ish db
out there as open source.

regards, Göran