Prototype-UI integration

Nicolas Petton
Hi all,

I made a simple wrapper for the Prototype-UI javascript library. Thanks
to Aida, it only took me 2 hours.

You can see a demo here: http://nico.bioskop.fr/pui.html.
I will commit the code soon, in the SqueakSource repository.

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: Prototype-UI integration

Janko Mivšek
Nicolas Petton wrote:

> I made a simple wrapper for the Prototype-UI javascript library. Thanks
> to Aida, it only took me 2 hours.

Wow, what a time :)

> You can see a demo here: http://nico.bioskop.fr/pui.html.
> I will commit the code soon, in the SqueakSource repository.

This is pretty interesting and I'm starting to think about some
practical use of such movable windows inside a web page. Do you hva
something in mind or some examples. I know for http://www.netvibes.com,
anything else?

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Prototype-UI integration

Rob Rothwell
Nicolas,

Nice Work!

I am no where near able to do anything like what you guys are doing (I don't know CSS or JavaScript yet, and have just started to turn the "I get Smalltalk" corner)--but I am quite happy to try to learn to use the frameworks you are coming up with!

I am looking forward to being able to add windows to my application if the need arises!

Rob Rothwell

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I made a simple wrapper for the Prototype-UI javascript library. Thanks
to Aida, it only took me 2 hours.

You can see a demo here: http://nico.bioskop.fr/pui.html.
I will commit the code soon, in the SqueakSource repository.

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr
           ___
         ooooooo
        OOOOOOOOO
       |Smalltalk|
        OOOOOOOOO
         ooooooo
          \   /
           [|]

The foolish reject what they see, not what they think; the wise reject what they think, not what they see.  -- Huang Po

Le jeudi 06 mars 2008 à 22:09 -0500, Rob Rothwell a écrit :
> Nicolas,
>

> Nice Work!

Hi Rob,

Thank you :)

> I am no where near able to do anything like what you guys are doing (I
> don't know CSS or JavaScript yet, and have just started to turn the "I
> get Smalltalk" corner)--but I am quite happy to try to learn to use
> the frameworks you are coming up with!
>

> I am looking forward to being able to add windows to my application if
> the need arises!

With my prototype-ui integration work it is really easy, for example
with e and f two webElements:

e addWindowElement: f size: 100@100 position: 200@50.

And that's it, your element f is in a window! You can also choose the
theme to use, add shadow if you want, make the window unresizable, etc
And you don't need to download any external library.

Cheers!

Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Nicolas Petton wrote:

>> I am looking forward to being able to add windows to my application if
>> the need arises!
>
> With my prototype-ui integration work it is really easy, for example
> with e and f two webElements:
>
> e addWindowElement: f size: 100@100 position: 200@50.
>
> And that's it, your element f is in a window! You can also choose the
> theme to use, add shadow if you want, make the window unresizable, etc
> And you don't need to download any external library.

But what to do with that window, how to connect it to something, to
domain model? Should every window have its own App? Or should all be
part of one app?

That's now important questions to ask, to make those windows really
useful while not break the main Aida philosophy. What do you think?

Janko

Le vendredi 07 mars 2008 à 13:03 +0100, Janko Mivšek a écrit :

> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>
> >> I am looking forward to being able to add windows to my application if
> >> the need arises!
> >
> > With my prototype-ui integration work it is really easy, for example
> > with e and f two webElements:
> >
> > e addWindowElement: f size: 100@100 position: 200@50.
> >
> > And that's it, your element f is in a window! You can also choose the
> > theme to use, add shadow if you want, make the window unresizable, etc
> > And you don't need to download any external library.
>
> But what to do with that window, how to connect it to something, to
> domain model?
The window is just js code, except for that it is a normal element
inside, connected like every element.

>  Should every window have its own App? Or should all be
> part of one app?

For now there are all parts of one app, but you're right, this is a good
question to ask.

> That's now important questions to ask, to make those windows really
> useful while not break the main Aida philosophy.

Do you think it breaks Aida philosophy ?

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Nicolas Petton wrote:

>> But what to do with that window, how to connect it to something, to
>> domain model?

> The window is just js code, except for that it is a normal element
> inside, connected like every element.

>>  Should every window have its own App? Or should all be
>> part of one app?

> For now there are all parts of one app, but you're right, this is a good
> question to ask.

>> That's now important questions to ask, to make those windows really
>> useful while not break the main Aida philosophy.

> Do you think it breaks Aida philosophy ?

I told that just to illustrate that we need a good decision how to
proceed, which won't break main Aida strength which is simplicity, and
this come from Aida philosophy by my opinion.

It is something similar like Ajax integration. which could be done very
easily but without additional effort which was put there, it wouldn't be
so simple and useful as currently is.

But we have still time to experiment a bit with best approach here. Let
we therefore try some ideas to see, which is the best.

Janko

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 7:22 AM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

I told that just to illustrate that we need a good decision how to
proceed, which won't break main Aida strength which is simplicity, and
this come from Aida philosophy by my opinion.

I am definitely in favor of not breaking the simplicity, which continuous to be it's main attraction for me!

It is something similar like Ajax integration. which could be done very
easily but without additional effort which was put there, it wouldn't be
so simple and useful as currently is.

But we have still time to experiment a bit with best approach here. Let
we therefore try some ideas to see, which is the best.

I think what makes Aida work is that you do actually integrate into the system, not just extend the system, so your recommendation is a good one.

Rob

Re: Prototype-UI integration

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

I came to idea how to preserve Aida way while support such a
multi-windowing web desktop:

Let we put each window content into an IFRAME, which will actually allow
us to have a separate web browser in each such window. Then you can
simply add a window with object to present, something like:

    e addWindowFor: anObjectToPresent size: 100@100 position: 200@50.

Which is similar to an usual addLinkTo:

    e addLinkTo: anObjectToPresent text '..'

Let we see it this idea keeps the water. Nico, will you try it?

Janko

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

I came to idea how to preserve Aida way while support such a
multi-windowing web desktop:

Let we put each window content into an IFRAME, which will actually allow
us to have a separate web browser in each such window. Then you can
simply add a window with object to present, something like:

   e addWindowFor: anObjectToPresent size: 100@100 position: 200@50.

Which is similar to an usual addLinkTo:

   e addLinkTo: anObjectToPresent text '..'

Let we see it this idea keeps the water. Nico, will you try it?

At that point, do you have "Aida Gadgets"?!

Rob

Le vendredi 07 mars 2008 à 15:33 +0100, Janko Mivšek a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I came to idea how to preserve Aida way while support such a
> multi-windowing web desktop:
>
> Let we put each window content into an IFRAME, which will actually allow
> us to have a separate web browser in each such window. Then you can
> simply add a window with object to present, something like:
>

>     e addWindowFor: anObjectToPresent size: 100@100 position: 200@50.
>
> Which is similar to an usual addLinkTo:
>
>     e addLinkTo: anObjectToPresent text '..'

Very good idea Janko!
> Let we see it this idea keeps the water. Nico, will you try it?

Ok course I will :)

Nico