Proxy with NTLM authentication?

Bernhard Pieber-3
Hi all,

I would like to use Pharo behind a corporate firewall with a proxy with NTLM authentication. Having read the thread "Proxy with authentication support" (http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-May/008717.html) I thought I might try if it works with NTLM. Short version: It doesn't. ;-)

Has someone solved that particular problem?

Thanks for your support!

Cheers,
Bernhard

Long version:
If I do:
HTTPSocket httpGet: 'http://www.pieber.com'

I get:
'HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
<TITLE>Invalid username/password</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT face="Helvetica">
</FONT>
<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=1 width="80%">
<TR><TD>
<FONT face="Helvetica">
<big>Invalid username/password (bad_credentials)</big>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT>
</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>
<FONT face="Helvetica">
   or try again using a different username/password combination.</p>
   There are two possible causes:
   <ul>
   <li>Your username or password contains non-ASCII characters,
    and the ProxySG is not configured to use the same authentication character
    encoding as is being used by your web browser.
   <li>Your username or password is too long.
    (The limits for the username and password are 64 bytes each,
    after being translated to UTF-8.)
   </ul>
   </small></p>

</FONT>
</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>
<FONT face="Helvetica">

</FONT>
</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>
<FONT face="Helvetica" SIZE=2>
<BR>
For assistance, contact your network support team.
</FONT>
</TD></TR>
</TABLE>
</FONT>
</BODY></HTML>
'

Re: Proxy with NTLM authentication?

Jan van de Sandt
Hello,

I don't think the HTTPSocket class supports proxies with NTLM authentication. There is an alternative: the CurlPlugin, this plugin wraps the libcrul C library and this library supports NTML authentication, see: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5865

Jan.

2009/5/25 Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
[...]

Hockenberry
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Proxy with NTLM authentication?

Steve Wirts
I have wrestled with this problem from within java years ago, before a solution existed, the solution that finally evolved was an API in java to talk LDAP, specifically to microsoft active directory servers.  Validation and NT user/group information them becomes available regardless of what platform the client is running on.

just an thought towards a very general solution.

2009/5/25 Marco Schmidt <[hidden email]>
I'm using Pharo "sometimes" behind a coorperate firewall. The following snippet helps me to setup squeak/pharo for me:

HTTPSocket useProxyServerNamed: 'proxyhsotname' port: 80 proxyUser: 'DOMAIN\USERNAME' password: 'HelloWorld42'.

Another alternative is to use an tool like PROXIMOTRON. This tools creates a local proxy server which forwards http connections to your corporate firewall. WARNING:  This could be against your coorporates policy.

Marco Schmidt