Public Comment Invited

Samuel S. Shuster-3
Dear Friends,

As some may know, Store has "Management Tables" and a system whereby an "Administrator" can provide, if used with the OwnerOwershipPolicy, allows "Granting" Read and Publish (or none) rights to Bundles and Packages.

We are considering if we should remove the feature or replace it with something else... So....

First, does anyone use this?
        And if so, do you use it "Plain Out Of The Box"?
                And if NOT, what kind of extensions have you implemented?

If you have looked at this feature and have decided not to use it, Why?

What features would you like to see in a "new" Administration system?

                                And So It Goes
                                     Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]
VisualWorks Engineering, Store Project
Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

Re: Public Comment Invited

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Sames, for what it's worth we don't use it and don't plan to use it. Last thing I want is discouraging someone from contributing once they have access to the repository internally, but for public stores that's a whole other story.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2011-03-03, at 17:55, "Samuel S. Shuster" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> As some may know, Store has "Management Tables" and a system whereby an "Administrator" can provide, if used with the OwnerOwershipPolicy, allows "Granting" Read and Publish (or none) rights to Bundles and Packages.
>
> We are considering if we should remove the feature or replace it with something else... So....
>
> First, does anyone use this?
>    And if so, do you use it "Plain Out Of The Box"?
>        And if NOT, what kind of extensions have you implemented?
>
> If you have looked at this feature and have decided not to use it, Why?
>
> What features would you like to see in a "new" Administration system?
>
>                                And So It Goes
>                                     Sames
>
> Samuel S. Shuster [|]
> VisualWorks Engineering, Store Project
> Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

Re: Public Comment Invited

Georg Heeg
Sames,

We have it never installed and recommended to all of our customers not to
use it. Thus from my viewpoint it could go away.

Georg

PS: I remember well the Envy times where many projects implemented a button
"Let me come that person whom I need to be to perform the action I need to
do".

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Re: Public Comment Invited

Josef Springer
Hello Samuel,

we dont use it.
Signature

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards,
Josef Springer
(Geschäftsleitung/Management)

Postal
Address
[hidden email]
Orlando-di-Lasso Str. 2
D-85640 Putzbrunn
Phone
Office
+49 (0)89 600 6920

Phone Fax
+49 (0)89 600 69220

Web
Web
http://www.joops.com

JOOPS
(HRB München 86239)

-- the software company --

Samuel S. Shuster wrote:
Dear Friends,

As some may know, Store has "Management Tables" and a system whereby an "Administrator" can provide, if used with the OwnerOwershipPolicy, allows "Granting" Read and Publish (or none) rights to Bundles and Packages.

We are considering if we should remove the feature or replace it with something else... So....

First, does anyone use this?
	And if so, do you use it "Plain Out Of The Box"?
		And if NOT, what kind of extensions have you implemented?

If you have looked at this feature and have decided not to use it, Why?

What features would you like to see in a "new" Administration system?

                                And So It Goes
                                     Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]
VisualWorks Engineering, Store Project
Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

Re: Public Comment Invited

Reinout Heeck-2

we at Soops don't use it either and are not planning to. The only place
where caution should be taken is with store garbage collection, but that
uses a different method anyway.

Cham

On 3/3/2011 11:52 PM, Samuel S. Shuster wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> As some may know, Store has "Management Tables" and a system whereby an "Administrator" can provide, if used with the OwnerOwershipPolicy, allows "Granting" Read and Publish (or none) rights to Bundles and Packages.
>
> We are considering if we should remove the feature or replace it with something else... So....
>
> First, does anyone use this?
> And if so, do you use it "Plain Out Of The Box"?
> And if NOT, what kind of extensions have you implemented?
>
> If you have looked at this feature and have decided not to use it, Why?
>
> What features would you like to see in a "new" Administration system?
>
>                                  And So It Goes
>                                       Sames
>
> Samuel S. Shuster [|]
> VisualWorks Engineering, Store Project
> Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

Re: Public Comment Invited

Mark Plas
Hi Samuel,

We don't use this. Everyone has access to everything.

Mark

Re: Public Comment Invited

Runar Jordahl
We do not use it at GeoKnowledge. It can go.

Runar Jordahl

Re: Public Comment Invited

jarober
I'm not sure it's needed, but for a different reason than the one Georg used below.  On the projects I've seen, the Store accounts usually have well known user id's and passwords, so it's easy to "become" someone else simply by saving the login info in your connection profiles (and saving that info out to the repositories.xml file)

On Mar 4, 2011, at 2:34 AM, Georg Heeg wrote:

> Sames,
>
> We have it never installed and recommended to all of our customers not to
> use it. Thus from my viewpoint it could go away.
>
> Georg
>
> PS: I remember well the Envy times where many projects implemented a button
> "Let me come that person whom I need to be to perform the action I need to
> do".
>
> Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
> Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
> Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: Public Comment Invited

Blackburn, Kirk

We are planning to institute a regime using the policies.

Our team is fairly large and we need to maintain order.

Will advise of any extensions we implement.

Best Regards,

Kirk Blackburn
Qwest Integrator Program

As some may know, Store has "Management Tables" and a system whereby an "Administrator" can provide, if used with the OwnerOwershipPolicy, allows "Granting" Read and Publish (or none) rights to Bundles and Packages.

We are considering if we should remove the feature or replace it with something else... So....

First, does anyone use this?
        And if so, do you use it "Plain Out Of The Box"?
                And if NOT, what kind of extensions have you implemented?

If you have looked at this feature and have decided not to use it, Why?

What features would you like to see in a "new" Administration system?

                                And So It Goes
                                     Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]
VisualWorks Engineering, Store Project
Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication

Re: Public Comment Invited

Paul Baumann
I see no benefit from a code ownership policy.

The worst part of ENVY was the ownership and publishing rules. To merge changes from multiple developers to create a Config Map build you ended up switching users dozens of times. There was never any benefit from it. It fostered the notion that employees of a company can own and be a gatekeeper to changes to code (instead of making them accountable for changes to company-owned code). Tools were written to automate the switching. Union shops may appreciate the ownership rules, but the rules slowed the rate that code evolved.

This is why...

Smalltalk was different from other languages by the rate at which application code could safely evolve. Early adopters of Smalltalk years ago tended to burden Smalltalk development with process restrictions and change management. The precautions that were useful for languages with a higher cost of change where misapplied to Smalltalk. A Smalltalk developer could implement a superior solution faster than a committee could agree on a design. ENVY ownership rules negatively influenced the development culture and were a part of why Smalltalk failed to stand out as a superior programming language.

What would I like to see?

The tools we needed for VW have already been developed in-house and have been shared as the "Release Assistant" as part of GemKit in the Cincom Repository (sorry the shared version is a bit old now). There was no ownership policy or code hiding to restrict us from solving the problem ourselves. There was no need to wait for Cincom to do it. If you want to know what features customers want then start by looking at what they've done and then consider how you could do better.

Paul Baumann

On 2011-03-03, at 17:55, "Samuel S. Shuster" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> As some may know, Store has "Management Tables" and a system whereby an "Administrator" can provide, if used with the OwnerOwershipPolicy, allows "Granting" Read and Publish (or none) rights to Bundles and Packages.
>
> We are considering if we should remove the feature or replace it with something else... So....
>
> First, does anyone use this?
>    And if so, do you use it "Plain Out Of The Box"?
>        And if NOT, what kind of extensions have you implemented?
>
> If you have looked at this feature and have decided not to use it, Why?
>
> What features would you like to see in a "new" Administration system?
>
>                                And So It Goes
>                                     Sames
>
> Samuel S. Shuster [|]
> VisualWorks Engineering, Store Project
> Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

Re: Public Comment Invited

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)
> PS: I remember well the Envy times where many projects implemented a
> button "Let me come that person whom I need to be to perform the
> action I need to do".

Indeed. A much better approach is to ensure uses can't be spoofed and then provide tools to filter the list of artifacts shown based on user. That way anyone can publish, integrate, build etc. But if it is know that only the versions publish or blessed done by "the integrator" should be used for something it is just a matter of only viewing those.

Joerg