Publish as Parcel fails

Steffen Märcker
Hi,

I've encountered the following problems many times but didn't report it
yet. After using an image for a while, publishing a package as parcels
fails. In particular there is an attempt to close open streams
(ExternalStream closeOpenStreamsNamed:) if they match a particular
filename which is nil in this cases. I haven't figured out a scheme when
this one happens but it might be related to using the image on Windows and
Mac. Once it occurred I have to start with a fresh image.

Is this bug know?
Is there a workaround?

Regards, Steffen

Re: Publish as Parcel fails

Alan Knight-2
It doesn't sound known. Are you saying that you've moved the same image around between different machines? If so, that sounds like perhaps there are files associated with those or with other parcels that are no longer found. But if it's just trying to close them, I think that shouldn't be a big problem. Also, are you publishing the same thing as parcels repeatedly? It sounds like that would come up from "Rescuing" sources for code still in the image from old parcel files. Have you perhaps published the parcels somewhere, but then moved to a machine where they are no longer visible at that path? Or that the current directory has changed?

At 07:08 AM 2010-11-01, Steffen Märcker wrote:
Hi,

I've encountered the following problems many times but didn't report it
yet. After using an image for a while, publishing a package as parcels
fails. In particular there is an attempt to close open streams
(ExternalStream closeOpenStreamsNamed:) if they match a particular
filename which is nil in this cases. I haven't figured out a scheme when
this one happens but it might be related to using the image on Windows and
Mac. Once it occurred I have to start with a fresh image.

Is this bug know?
Is there a workaround?

Regards, Steffen

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: Publish as Parcel fails

Steffen Märcker

yes, I am moving the same image between different machines. On the new
machine I set the new source paths via

SourceFileManager>>changeSourceDirectoryFrom:to:

During development I am regularly saving my packages as parcels. When I
move to the other machine I move the whole directory, including all loaded
parcels. Do I have to adjust the current directory too? Perhaps It might
be good If the environment stores the source paths as relative paths
instead of absolute paths? I consider the possibility to run the very same
development environment on different machines as a real strength.

Regards, Steffen

Am 01.11.2010, 18:55 Uhr, schrieb Alan Knight <[hidden email]>:

> It doesn't sound known. Are you saying that you've moved the same image
> around between different machines? If so, that sounds like perhaps there
> are files associated with those or with other parcels that are no longer
> found. But if it's just trying to close them, I think that shouldn't be
> a big problem. Also, are you publishing the same thing as parcels
> repeatedly? It sounds like that would come up from "Rescuing" sources
> for code still in the image from old parcel files. Have you perhaps
> published the parcels somewhere, but then moved to a machine where they
> are no longer visible at that path? Or that the current directory has
> changed?
>
> At 07:08 AM 2010-11-01, Steffen Märcker wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've encountered the following problems many times but didn't report it
>> yet. After using an image for a while, publishing a package as parcels
>> fails. In particular there is an attempt to close open streams
>> (ExternalStream closeOpenStreamsNamed:) if they match a particular
>> filename which is nil in this cases. I haven't figured out a scheme when
>> this one happens but it might be related to using the image on Windows
>> and
>> Mac. Once it occurred I have to start with a fresh image.
>>
>> Is this bug know?
>> Is there a workaround?
>>
>> Regards, Steffen

> Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
> http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

Re: Publish as Parcel fails

Alan Knight-2
Parcels which you load from the distribution will normally be maintained as logical paths relative to the $VISUALWORKS environment variable/registry setting. That makes them work correctly whether you move the image to a different machine, or to a different location on the same machine.

If you load a parcel via another mechanism, then it will depend on the filename object that was used to load it. Unfortunately, if you load it via e.g. the file browser or the load dialog, it will tend to be an absolute filename, although that depends on what your parcel path is and where the file was located. But saving it in the current directory and loading it from there will result in one that isn't relative to $VISUALWORKS. If you are using a mechanism of your own to load these, then you can make it use files that are relative, or, preferably, defined with respect to some environment variable.

One simple way of doing this, if you're using the image directory, and you leave your images in the same place they're installed, is to add $(VISUALWORKS)/image to your parcel path, and remove ".". Then the path for parcels loaded via the dialog will be relative to that, and moving the whole directory between machines would work fine. Other situations might require slightly more.

Hi,

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: Publish as Parcel fails

Steffen Märcker
Thanks for your advice!

Does this imply that it's not possible to load a parcel which location
will be a path relative to the image's directory?

Regards,
Steffen