Publishing and Consuming WebServices

keropotter
Hi!!

I'm developing an application on GLASS where I need to

a) Publish a WebService in order to provide data to other systems
b) Consume other WebServices to get some other data

I've started looking this up on Google and found Seaside 3.0 Addons packages which include a Seaside-WebService-Core package. But I really can't tell how to use it.

Has anybody gone through this same requirement before? What tools are there to solve this?

Thanks in advance!!
Alejandro

Re: Publishing and Consuming WebServices

Philippe Marschall
2011/11/9 keropotter <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!!
>
> I'm developing an application on GLASS where I need to
>
> a) Publish a WebService in order to provide data to other systems
> b) Consume other WebServices to get some other data
>
> I've started looking this up on Google and found Seaside 3.0 Addons packages
> which include a Seaside-WebService-Core package. But I really can't tell how
> to use it.
>
> Has anybody gone through this same requirement before? What tools are there
> to solve this?

When you say WebService do you mean WS-*, REST or "something over HTTP"?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Publishing and Consuming WebServices

keropotter
Hi, Pilippe!!

I mean a WebService based on a WSDL contract, using SOAP to exchange information. I guess I'm gonna need some RESTful WS as well to publish them to other systems.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Cheers,
Alejandro

Re: Publishing and Consuming WebServices

NorbertHartl

Am 14.11.2011 um 14:19 schrieb keropotter:

> Hi, Pilippe!!
>
> I mean a WebService based on a WSDL contract, using SOAP to exchange
> information. I guess I'm gonna need some RESTful WS as well to publish them
> to other systems.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas!

There is a project called "Soap Opera" that should deal with webservices. I don't know the state nor what it really does (e.g. reading a wsdl file).

The last thing I remember is that Otto took care about the port. But this led to some confusion about the XML parser port to gemstone. After Otto and Johan settled the xml issue the soap opera issue got somehow lost on the way :)

Is there any report on soap opera?

Norbert

Re: Publishing and Consuming WebServices

Dale Henrichs
SoapCore which is part of the SoapOpera[1] suite was ported to GemStone a while back[2]. I recently ensured that it was running against 1.0-beta.8.7, but the testing was done against GemStone2.3.

SoapCore uses Hyper and an older version of XML. The more recent versions of XML break SoapCore, but it is presumably just a matter of porting SoapCore to use the new version of XML ...

This version of SoapCore does not include WSDL support. I'm not sure if WSDL support is included in later versions of SoapOpera or not ...

There is a SoapOpera project on SqueakSource[3] and it looks it is still using a fairly old XML-Parser version ...

Dale

[1] http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/soapOpera/index.html
[2] http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/SOAP.html
[3] http://www.squeaksource.com/SoapOpera.html