Publishing of voting results

Julian Fitzell-2
Janko,

I am absolutely shocked that you have gone ahead and published the GSOC results (and before they are even final!) despite concerns being raised by myself and others over this process.

I had written a longer reply but on second consideration I've deleted most of it. I have explained already, I think, quite clearly why I believe it is inappropriate for private comments and complete final rankings to be shared, and at least a couple of people have written emails agreeing or commented to me in private, so I know I'm not alone. To go ahead with this before the discussion is even resolved is irresponsible, not at all appropriate in an open community, and a complete abuse of your position.

I'm sorry it comes to this but the intellectual property in my comments is not yours and you do not have the right to republish it in any other form or forum. I request that you now *immediately* remove any material created by me and relating to the voting process from the gsoc2010.esug.org website and take steps to ensure that it does not appear in the future.

If you choose to republish the rest of the results, there is of course nothing I can do about it, but I would hope that you would take the time to listen to the concerns of the community before proceeding.

Julian

Re: [gsoc-mentors] Publishing of voting results

Janko Mivšek
Julian,

I actually talked with mentors and few students about what is their
opinion about making voting public and their opinion certainly don't
reflect your view about concerns of the community.  We are also in
complete agreement with Mariano as main admin on that issue.

So, the decision to go public with votes is final. Announcement will go
on mailing lists soon, just to finish all preparations on our website.

About intellectual property of your comments - this is yours of course,
but not private, because it was announced ahead and repeated many times
that voting will be public.

For others to see a debate on the issue please read this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/browse_thread/thread/f3418471c459c676

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team

Re: [gsoc-mentors] Publishing of voting results

stephane ducasse-2
Janko

I think that you are doing a BIG mistake. Mentors have the right to write private comments and they should not go public.
You are damaging people doing that and this is not good. It does not produce positive energy and on the contrary it brings
bad feelings. While somebody has the right to have a negative analysis on a giving projects, the world does not have to know it.
In scientific per review only when the reviewer wants he can decide to make his name public. It lowers the frustration and hate
that could be resulting from making public all the statements.

Now I do not want to be involved with ANY of GSOC projects. I think that the atmosphere went really bad. Just because
the google system is bad and not anonymous and everybody wanted to play with his own rules.
So please remove me from the web site and you can remove all my votes from the GSOC crappy web site.

Stef

On Apr 17, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Janko,
>
> I am absolutely shocked that you have gone ahead and published the GSOC results (and before they are even final!) despite concerns being raised by myself and others over this process.

I agree!!!

> I had written a longer reply but on second consideration I've deleted most of it. I have explained already, I think, quite clearly why I believe it is inappropriate for private comments and complete final rankings to be shared, and at least a couple of people have written emails agreeing or commented to me in private, so I know I'm not alone.

Exactly!

> To go ahead with this before the discussion is even resolved is irresponsible, not at all appropriate in an open community, and a complete abuse of your position.

+1

> I'm sorry it comes to this but the intellectual property in my comments is not yours and you do not have the right to republish it in any other form or forum. I request that you now *immediately* remove any material created by me and relating to the voting process from the gsoc2010.esug.org website and take steps to ensure that it does not appear in the future.
>
> If you choose to republish the rest of the results, there is of course nothing I can do about it, but I would hope that you would take the time to listen to the concerns of the community before proceeding.

I addition I asked that all my votes are nullified and I do not want to have anything to do anymore with GSOC.

Stef_______________________________________________
Esug-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.esug.org/listinfo/esug-list

Re: [gsoc-mentors] Publishing of voting results

Lukas Renggli
Janko, please remove my votes and comments. Under these circumstances
I do not intend to participate the voting process.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [gsoc-mentors] Publishing of voting results

Giovanni Corriga
Janko,

publishing the list of students and their evaluation is the kind of
thing that could get ESUG kicked out of the GSoC not just this year,
but also in the successive editions of the program. If Google had
wanted this to be debated openly it wouldn't have made it private in
their webapp. Please remove those pages immediately.

On the same note, the smalltalk-gsoc-mentors mailing list and its
archive should not be public, too.

        Ciao,

                Giovanni

2010/4/17 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Julian,
>
> I actually talked with mentors and few students about what is their
> opinion about making voting public and their opinion certainly don't
> reflect your view about concerns of the community.  We are also in
> complete agreement with Mariano as main admin on that issue.
>
> So, the decision to go public with votes is final. Announcement will go
> on mailing lists soon, just to finish all preparations on our website.
>
> About intellectual property of your comments - this is yours of course,
> but not private, because it was announced ahead and repeated many times
> that voting will be public.
>
> For others to see a debate on the issue please read this thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors/browse_thread/thread/f3418471c459c676
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>

> On 17. 04. 2010 13:24, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>> Janko,
>>
>> I am absolutely shocked that you have gone ahead and published the GSOC
>> results (and before they are even final!) despite concerns being raised
>> by myself and others over this process.
>>
>> I had written a longer reply but on second consideration I've deleted
>> most of it. I have explained already, I think, quite clearly why I
>> believe it is inappropriate for private comments and complete final
>> rankings to be shared, and at least a couple of people have written
>> emails agreeing or commented to me in private, so I know I'm not alone.
>> To go ahead with this before the discussion is even resolved is
>> irresponsible, not at all appropriate in an open community, and a
>> complete abuse of your position.
>>
>> I'm sorry it comes to this but the intellectual property in my comments
>> is not yours and you do not have the right to republish it in any other
>> form or forum. I request that you now *immediately* remove any material
>> created by me and relating to the voting process from the
>> gsoc2010.esug.org <http://gsoc2010.esug.org> website and take steps to
>> ensure that it does not appear in the future.
>>
>> If you choose to republish the rest of the results, there is of course
>> nothing I can do about it, but I would hope that you would take the time
>> to listen to the concerns of the community before proceeding.
>>
>> Julian
>
> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
> [hidden email]
> http://gsoc2010.esug.org

Re: [gsoc-mentors] Publishing of voting results

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 17 apr 2010, at 13:56, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> So, the decision to go public with votes is final. Announcement will
> go
> on mailing lists soon, just to finish all preparations on our website.
>
> About intellectual property of your comments - this is yours of
> course,
> but not private, because it was announced ahead and repeated many
> times
> that voting will be public.

Janko, this is unacceptable.

Stephan Eggermont_______________________________________________
Esug-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.esug.org/listinfo/esug-list

Re: [gsoc-mentors] Publishing of voting results

Julian Fitzell-2
Janko,

I'm sorry but your understanding of intellectual property is simply not correct. Am I going to go through a legal process over it, though? Of course not. I just assumed you would be respectful enough to heed my wishes in this matter.

I am now concerned not only about the publishing of these results, but also by the lack of consideration being shown for concerns raised on the mentors mailing list. I don't want to participate in a program being run in this way, so I will step down as a mentor. You should now have no reason not to remove my votes and comments permanently. Please do so as soon as possible; search engines may be indexing the content as we speak and this is simply not acceptable.

Thanks for your prompt attention,

Julian

--
Janko Mivšek
Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team

Re: [gsoc-mentors] Publishing of voting results

Maarten Mostert-2
He guys can you not exchange telephone numbers and solve this using some older technologies!!!

From the outside this sounds just like some misunderstanding.

Anyway I found out that we should vote. . that is good to know..didn’t manage to figure out if I am eligible but anyway.

Let’s hope we don’t have to suicide this time, it is spring girls are beautiful so this is not really the moment….

Regards,

@+Maarten,

> [...]

>> emails agreeing or commented to me in private, so I know I'm not alone.
>> To go ahead with this before the discussion is even resolved is
>> irresponsible, not at all appropriate in an open community, and a
>> complete abuse of your position.
>>
>> I'm sorry it comes to this but the intellectual property in my comments
>> is not yours and you do not have the right to republish it in any other
>> form or forum. I request that you now *immediately* remove any material
>> created by me and relating to the voting process from the
>> gsoc2010.esug.org <
http://gsoc2010.esug.org> website and take steps to
>> ensure that it does not appear in the future.
>>
>> If you choose to republish the rest of the results, there is of course
>> nothing I can do about it, but I would hope that you would take the time
>> to listen to the concerns of the community before proceeding.

[hidden email]
> http://gsoc2010.esug.org

Re: [gsoc-mentors] Publishing of voting results

Stéphane Ducasse
Maarten exactly. :)
Really beautiful weather here.
And for me I'm out of GSOC so people can do what they want.

Stef

On Apr 17, 2010, at 9:31 PM, Maarten MOSTERT wrote:

> He guys can you not exchange telephone numbers and solve this using some older technologies!!!
>
> From the outside this sounds just like some misunderstanding.
>
> Anyway I found out that we should vote. . that is good to know..didn’t manage to figure out if I am eligible but anyway.
>
> Let’s hope we don’t have to suicide this time, it is spring girls are beautiful so this is not really the moment….
>
> Regards,
>
> @+Maarten,

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 04/17/2010 02:55 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
> Janko, please remove my votes and comments. Under these circumstances
> I do not intend to participate the voting process.

Same here.

I consider a comment "this is cut'n'paste from the project proposal" to
be even worse than "you suck", and I don't want to be associated to bad
reputation of a student.

Paolo

Re: [gsoc-mentors] Publishing of voting results

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

Let me repeat:

Voting results are now closed to public except to students.

Voting were announced to be public from the start. And repeated many
times. Now there is a compromise to be opened to students only.

If you really put something like "you suck" in the comment, then this is
certainly for students to see. And for you to look at yourself, what
kind of man you are. While those who voted decently, have nothing to
worry. Those comments actually help students now and in the future, this
is educational to them and from talks with few they confirmed that.

And pure technically, there is no way to remove comments and votes from
Google GSoC site. What we are doing is pure copying them to our site.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek