Putting Algernon and WorkingSet in a Dev image

Putting Algernon and WorkingSet in a Dev image

Mariano Martinez Peck
I think both are really great tools and if people don't use them is mostly because they don't know that even they exist or how they work.

What do you think about loading both tools in PharoDev? they are little tools and easy to install.

Maybe we can give them a try during "one" PharoDev and if they don't like, they can just be don't included any more.

Do you want to try them first ?

For WorkginSet: read this mail:   http://n2.nabble.com/ANN-WorkingSet-td4286093.html#a4286093

For Alegernon evaluate:

Gofer new
  squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfAlgernon';
  load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfAlgernon) project version: '0.9.1') load.

(Smalltalk at: #Algernon) openWelcomeWorkspace

For the lazy ones, this is what that workspace says:

"Algernon is a productivity tool for Pharo programmers; your personal assistant for Pharo. Algernon aims to make programming in Pharo faster and more keyboard centric. It is a launcher and quick way to access any category, class, morph, or global variable in your image. Pressing shift-return anywhere brings up Algernon. Start typing a class name, a morph's name, a category, an object, global variable and a list of items is filtered as you type. Press return to perform the default action on that item, or press tab to see a list of possible actions. Algernon can also evaluate Smalltalk expressions. Simply bring up Algernon and type = to enter expression mode to have quick access or print the results.

Usage:

Press shift-return to bring up Algernon. Start typing a name, then press return to perform the default action on the item, or hit tab to see a list of possible actions, included, for example, open that class in a new browser.

Press right arrow to drill into a class or category and see its methods or classes, respectively.

Press ctrl-r to refresh if you add new items that need to be indexed."

What do you think ?

Mariano

ps: +1 for me :)

Re: Putting Algernon and WorkingSet in a Dev image

Damien Cassou
2010/1/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> What do you think ?

I don't remember about Algernon, but WorkingSet has overrides. We
decided not to accept packages with overrides anymore in Pharo:
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/1/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> What do you think ?

I don't remember about Algernon, but WorkingSet has overrides. We
decided not to accept packages with overrides anymore in Pharo:
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages.

Good point Damien Thanks...I will installed in each image for myself then....

Now, I guess there should be a way to automatically detect the overrides...do you know how ?

Thanks!

Mariano

2010/1/15 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Now, I guess there should be a way to automatically detect the
> overrides...do you know how ?

MCMethodDefinition>>checkMethodAlreadyExists

  (self actualClass includesSelector: self selector)
        ifTrue: [Warning signal: 'a package is overriding ', self
actualClass printString, '>>', self selector]

MCMethodDefinition>>load

   self checkMethodAlreadyExists.

   self actualClass
     compile: source
     classified: category

     withStamp: timeStamp

      notifying: (SyntaxError new category: category)

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Putting Algernon and WorkingSet in a Dev image

It would be interesting to see overrides and how to turn them into infrastructure hooks.

stef

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/1/15 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Now, I guess there should be a way to automatically detect the
> overrides...do you know how ?

MCMethodDefinition>>checkMethodAlreadyExists

 (self actualClass includesSelector: self selector)
       ifTrue: [Warning signal: 'a package is overriding ', self
actualClass printString, '>>', self selector]

MCMethodDefinition>>load

  self checkMethodAlreadyExists.

  self actualClass
    compile: source
    classified: category

    withStamp: timeStamp

     notifying: (SyntaxError new category: category)

Thanks Damien. I did that, run the load of both projects but none of them warn me.

Are you sure they have overrides?

Thanks

Mariano

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Putting Algernon and WorkingSet in a Dev image

Damien Cassou
2010/1/15 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks Damien. I did that, run the load of both projects but none of them
> warn me.
>
> Are you sure they have overrides?

I'm sure that WorkingSet has overrides, my detection code is probably
not correct.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Putting Algernon and WorkingSet in a Dev image

Romain Robbes-2
yes it has overrides ...

that's because as far as I know, there's no keyboard shortcut management facility
in Pharo. If there was one, I suppose Algernon and WorkingSet would coexist.

        Romain

On Jan 15, 2010, at 6:49 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> 2010/1/15 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Thanks Damien. I did that, run the load of both projects but none of them
>> warn me.
>>
>> Are you sure they have overrides?
>
> I'm sure that WorkingSet has overrides, my detection code is probably
> not correct.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Romain Robbes
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Romain Robbes <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes it has overrides ...

that's because as far as I know, there's no keyboard shortcut management facility
in Pharo. If there was one, I suppose Algernon and WorkingSet would coexist.

So...all your overrides are due to the shortcuts?   I think it is not fear to "forbid" a package to be included in a Dev image if we don't provide from the core a way to manage shortcuts. So:

1) Or we let this projects to be installed in the Dev image

2) We fix the problem with the shortcuts.

Romain: can you tell us where exactly the problem is ? maybe someone can give you a hand.

Cheers

Mariano

On Jan 15, 2010, at 5:55 PM, Romain Robbes wrote:

> yes it has overrides ...
>
> that's because as far as I know, there's no keyboard shortcut management facility
> in Pharo. If there was one, I suppose Algernon and WorkingSet would coexist.

I would love if someone would have a look at Keymapper and keybinding
because we need to clear the mapping.

People should be able to add emacs binding if they want (like me) wihtout impacting the complete system ;0

> Romain
>

> On Jan 15, 2010, at 6:49 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:
>
>> 2010/1/15 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>>> Thanks Damien. I did that, run the load of both projects but none of them
>>> warn me.
>>>
>>> Are you sure they have overrides?
>>
>> I'm sure that WorkingSet has overrides, my detection code is probably
>> not correct.
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>> popular by not having them." James Iry

> Romain Robbes
> http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Re: Putting Algernon and WorkingSet in a Dev image

Simon Denier-3

On 15 janv. 2010, at 21:20, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Romain Robbes <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes it has overrides ...

that's because as far as I know, there's no keyboard shortcut management facility
in Pharo. If there was one, I suppose Algernon and WorkingSet would coexist.

So...all your overrides are due to the shortcuts?   I think it is not fear to "forbid" a package to be included in a Dev image if we don't provide from the core a way to manage shortcuts. So:

1) Or we let this projects to be installed in the Dev image

2) We fix the problem with the shortcuts.

Romain: can you tell us where exactly the problem is ? maybe someone can give you a hand.

Taking a look at that, there are 2 overrides in WorkingSet

PasteupMorph>>keystrokeInWorld:
but the diff is the same with my default version! So it can be removed

HandMorph>>sendKeyboardEvent:
which is the real conflicting method

Looking at it, there are 3 different versions, the default one, one from WorkingSet and one from Algernon. On the plus sign, it's quite easy to merge the last two and make WorkingSet works together with Algernon.

But the one from Algernon is actually the worst way to patch things, because it is all in a changeset which is encoded in binary format (see ConfigurationOfAlgernons>>multipleFocusHolderCs :(

It adds an instance variable to HandMorph and overrides two methods in HandMorph. Of course you cant see it at first since these are hidden in the binary changeset :(

'''From Squeak3.7gamma of ''''17 July 2004'''' [latest update: #5985] on 9 August 2004 at 7:56:10 pm''!
"Change Set: MultipleFocusHolder-hpt
Date: 9 August 2004
Author: Hernan Tylim

This changesets does the simplest modifications to HandMorph for it to support various focus holders.

The important changes are:

* addiionalKeyboardFocuses instance variable was added with its getter and setter methods.

* HandMorph>>sendKeyboardEvent: was changed to traverse the list of keyboard focus holders and call HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear: to each one of them.

* HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear: was changed to preserve the ''wasHandled'' status of the event, before that info were lost because the Event instance were copied before passed to the Morph.
"!

The comment itself is misleading, it overrides sendFocusEvent:to:clear:, not sendEvent:focus:clear:

I feel much less keen to include Algernon now that I have seen that.

Cheers

Mariano

       Romain

On Jan 15, 2010, at 6:49 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> 2010/1/15 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Thanks Damien. I did that, run the load of both projects but none of them
>> warn me.
>>
>> Are you sure they have overrides?
>
> I'm sure that WorkingSet has overrides, my detection code is probably
> not correct.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Romain Robbes
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

 Simon

Re: Putting Algernon and WorkingSet in a Dev image

Stéphane Ducasse
>> Taking a look at that, there are 2 overrides in WorkingSet
>
> PasteupMorph>>keystrokeInWorld:
> but the diff is the same with my default version! So it can be removed
>
> HandMorph>>sendKeyboardEvent:
> which is the real conflicting method
>
> Looking at it, there are 3 different versions, the default one, one from WorkingSet and one from Algernon. On the plus sign, it's quite easy to merge the last two and make WorkingSet works together with Algernon.
>

> But the one from Algernon is actually the worst way to patch things, because it is all in a changeset which is encoded in binary format (see ConfigurationOfAlgernons>>multipleFocusHolderCs :(
>
> It adds an instance variable to HandMorph and overrides two methods in HandMorph. Of course you cant see it at first since these are hidden in the binary changeset :(

what is a binary changeset

> '''From Squeak3.7gamma of ''''17 July 2004'''' [latest update: #5985] on 9 August 2004 at 7:56:10 pm''!
> "Change Set: MultipleFocusHolder-hpt
> Date: 9 August 2004
> Author: Hernan Tylim
>
> This changesets does the simplest modifications to HandMorph for it to support various focus holders.
>
> The important changes are:
>
> * addiionalKeyboardFocuses instance variable was added with its getter and setter methods.
>
> * HandMorph>>sendKeyboardEvent: was changed to traverse the list of keyboard focus holders and call HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear: to each one of them.
>
> * HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear: was changed to preserve the ''wasHandled'' status of the event, before that info were lost because the Event instance were copied before passed to the Morph.
> "!
>
> The comment itself is misleading, it overrides sendFocusEvent:to:clear:, not sendEvent:focus:clear:
>
> I feel much less keen to include Algernon now that I have seen that.

Yes. We should pay attention because we can have a lot of hackishi code.

Re: Putting Algernon and WorkingSet in a Dev image

romain I really like that you use another layer for meta action like the dashboard
this is good because else the browser will get more complex and right now the infrastructure of browser
is not as cool as it could be.

On 15 janv. 2010, at 22:16, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

It adds an instance variable to HandMorph and overrides two methods in HandMorph. Of course you cant see it at first since these are hidden in the binary changeset :(

what is a binary changeset

I just coined the term :)
It looks like that in the method:

#(39 70 114 111 109 32 83 113 117 101 97

.... and much more bytes until....

 101 108 39 33 13) asByteArray asString

--
 Simon

2010/1/15 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>

On 15 janv. 2010, at 21:20, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Romain Robbes <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes it has overrides ...

that's because as far as I know, there's no keyboard shortcut management facility
in Pharo. If there was one, I suppose Algernon and WorkingSet would coexist.

So...all your overrides are due to the shortcuts?   I think it is not fear to "forbid" a package to be included in a Dev image if we don't provide from the core a way to manage shortcuts. So:

1) Or we let this projects to be installed in the Dev image

2) We fix the problem with the shortcuts.

Romain: can you tell us where exactly the problem is ? maybe someone can give you a hand.

Taking a look at that, there are 2 overrides in WorkingSet

How did you detect that ?

Date: 9 August 2004
Author: Hernan Tylim

This changesets does the simplest modifications to HandMorph for it to support various focus holders.

The important changes are:

* addiionalKeyboardFocuses instance variable was added with its getter and setter methods.

* HandMorph>>sendKeyboardEvent: was changed to traverse the list of keyboard focus holders and call HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear: to each one of them.

* HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear: was changed to preserve the ''wasHandled'' status of the event, before that info were lost because the Event instance were copied before passed to the Morph.
"!

The comment itself is misleading, it overrides sendFocusEvent:to:clear:, not sendEvent:focus:clear:

Impressive. You should be a detective :)

I feel much less keen to include Algernon now that I have seen that.

Yes, me too. Completely.

On 15 janv. 2010, at 23:03, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

2010/1/15 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>

On 15 janv. 2010, at 21:20, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Romain Robbes <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes it has overrides ...

that's because as far as I know, there's no keyboard shortcut management facility
in Pharo. If there was one, I suppose Algernon and WorkingSet would coexist.

So...all your overrides are due to the shortcuts?   I think it is not fear to "forbid" a package to be included in a Dev image if we don't provide from the core a way to manage shortcuts. So:

1) Or we let this projects to be installed in the Dev image

2) We fix the problem with the shortcuts.

Romain: can you tell us where exactly the problem is ? maybe someone can give you a hand.

Taking a look at that, there are 2 overrides in WorkingSet

How did you detect that ?

Manually, using an extension-aware browser (O2Package, MC browse package, or the package environment) to detect extensions, then check history in the versions browser.

Impressive. You should be a detective :)

A few years ago, I was called the human debugger during a project :) Now I try to restrain from this kind of sessions though, it's time consuming.

--
 Simon

Re: Putting Algernon and WorkingSet in a Dev image

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys:  Of course I would like having keymapper or similar working in Pharo, but as I always say, I rather go step by step.

Last night, I was up to 2 am trying to get this working. I was almost there, but as I don't know everything about Morphic, I ask to you.

What Simon said about the binary changeset of Algernon, is true. However, I took the time to analyze the changeset and from my point of view (nil knowledge in Morphic) it seemed a very good change. I fix it (it has underscore assignment) and I was easily merged to Pharo. No conflicts. The main change does the simplest modifications to HandMorph for it to support various focus holders. And I think this is cool.

So, suppose we integrate this changeset, Algernon, wouldn't have any override the method  sendKeyboardEvent:

Now Romain, do you think that you can manage to get WorkingSet working with this change without overriding? Algernon does, so maybe we can see how it do it.  I saw this:    Algernon >> registerWithSystem

There you will see it does a self activeHand addAdditionalKeyboardFocus: self.

That method was part of the Morphic changes.

I commit the Mprhic changes in http://www.squeaksource.com/MarianoPhD

Name: Morphic-MarianoMartinezPeck.396
Author: MarianoMartinezPeck
Time: 16 January 2010, 3:42:18 pm
UUID: 3587e1b2-36b4-4751-bcdb-ca6f4073788e
Ancestors: Morphic-MarianoMartinezPeck.395

Romain, can you take a look and if this is not enough, how can we solve easily this problem in Pharo?

Thanks

Mariano

[...]

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Romain Robbes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

From a cursory look, it seems that it would be enough. I'll try to find some time next week to make a version that works using this infrastructure.

Cool !!  Let me know so that we can integrate this change in PharoCore and ask other people for the impact it can bring. I am not sure about that. Do you know?

[...]

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano - I see that you have been working on Algernon - I haven't use Pharo that much (not Squeak to be honest - but I remember trying one of Damien's dev images that had Algernon and I thought it was pretty cool, and quite helpful for getting up to speed with Pharo).

Me too. That's why I suggested to include it again in PharoDev 1.1 when this is done.

Anyway - I am not sure how to get it running? Do I need a 1.1 image

- or will it work in 1.0?

I don't know 1.1. For the moment I use 1.0

Do I load the ConfigurationOfAlgernon - and then should it work?

yes, try:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfAlgernon';
    load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfAlgernon) project version: '0.9.1') load

does it work ?

When I do this - Shift-Return doesn't work (nor control-space). If I browse monticello for just Algnernon, I see there is a later version of Algernon, but if I load that I seem to get a walkback  about a hand not understanding something.

Do you have any tips to get me going? And is it possible to update the Squeaksource text to help newbies like me get going?

At some point, the welcome workspace was opened once after installing it. I don't know why it dissapear. Should we put it again ?  Evaliuate 'Algernon openWelcomeWorkspace'

Cheers

mariano

Tim

On 16 Jan 2010, at 23:16, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Romain Robbes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

From a cursory look, it seems that it would be enough. I'll try to find some time next week to make a version that works using this infrastructure.