Putting (or docking) a Workspace inside a window

Putting (or docking) a Workspace inside a window

Alain Busser
Hello,

I am working on a project called MathsOntologie, which is basically a French translation for Smalltalk (at least the methods which can be useful for maths). It works well already but my colleagues ask for a friendlier GUI than Pharo's (!). Then I wish to go on programming as I am doing right now (writing the MathsOntologie script inside the Workspace and sending messages to the Transcript) but within a window.

My colleagues want that there be a "Run" button which would automatically ctrl-A then ctrl-D; I want the syntactic highlighting... My idea is to divide the window in frames and use one of these frames as a workspace and another one as a transcript. But TextMorphForEditView new don't work (error message: don't understand "content"...).

Is there a simple way to build and use a window which would work like a browser, with syntax highlighting?

Alain Busser
french math teacher

message: don't understand "content"...).
Have a look at Athens-Playground by Esteban Lorenzano. It does something like this, a kind of workspace in a window with a "go" button that opens another window with the results (should be combinable into one window): http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~estebanlm/Storm/packages/Athens-Playground

Re: Putting (or docking) a Workspace inside a window

hernanmd
Something like the STicky may be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uUIEaGyoU

El 09/02/2013 13:54, Alain Busser escribió:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project called MathsOntologie, which is basically a
> French translation for Smalltalk (at least the methods which can be
> useful for maths). It works well already but my colleagues ask for a
> friendlier GUI than Pharo's (!). Then I wish to go on programming as I
> am doing right now (writing the MathsOntologie script inside the
> Workspace and sending messages to the Transcript) but within a window.
>
> My colleagues want that there be a "Run" button which would
> automatically ctrl-A then ctrl-D; I want the syntactic highlighting...
> My idea is to divide the window in frames and use one of these frames as
> a workspace and another one as a transcript. But TextMorphForEditView
> new don't work (error message: don't understand "content"...).
>
> Is there a simple way to build and use a window which would work like a
> browser, with syntax highlighting?
>
> Alain Busser
> french math teacher

Re: Putting (or docking) a Workspace inside a window

Alain Busser
Great, I'll have a look and (hopefully) integrate this inside MathsOntologie. Now they will see!

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM, MartinW <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alain Busser wrote
> My colleagues want that there be a "Run" button which would automatically
> ctrl-A then ctrl-D; I want the syntactic highlighting... My idea is to
> divide the window in frames and use one of these frames as a workspace and
> another one as a transcript. But TextMorphForEditView new don't work
> (error
> message: don't understand "content"...).

Have a look at Athens-Playground by Esteban Lorenzano. It does something
like this, a kind of workspace in a window with a "go" button that opens
another window with the results (should be combinable into one window):
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~estebanlm/Storm/packages/Athens-Playground

Re: Putting (or docking) a Workspace inside a window

Alain Busser
Looks promising, I love the balloons, which are a good way to help the user. Anyway I'll need more frames:

1: The Text Editor
2: The Transcript
3: A graphical frame to dock the Morphs (for example, histograms)
4: A panel for all the buttons

That makes at least 4 frames. And I'll need some time to hack all this, so I may ask further questions within a few days/weeks...

Alain