[Q] Are there any tutorial on ROE?

Chun, Sungjin
Hi,

As subject says I'm finding tutorial or guide on ROE. My current
Seaside application uses SQLite3 and now I want to convert this
using ROE.

Thanks in advance.

PS)
I know on Glorp but it does not have yet SQLite support and
make Glorp to support SQLite seems harder than ROE to support
SQLite.

Re: [Q] Are there any tutorial on ROE?

Lukas Renggli
>  As subject says I'm finding tutorial or guide on ROE. My current
>  Seaside application uses SQLite3 and now I want to convert this
>  using ROE.

Not that I know of. Essentially it works exactly the same way as the
Smalltalk collection hierarchy: relations are the collections, and the
elements you iterate over are row-items. Only the message #do:
triggers fetching the data from the server, all other commands such as
#select:, #reject, ... get delayed until you actually need the data.

>  I know on Glorp but it does not have yet SQLite support and
>  make Glorp to support SQLite seems harder than ROE to support
>  SQLite.

I don't think that anybody used ROE with anything else than
PostgreSQL. Should be easy to add though.

There is also Magritte-ROE that does sort of a poor mans OR-mapping for ROE.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: [Q] Are there any tutorial on ROE?

Chun, Sungjin
Thank you for your help. My current application does not
use Magritte yet - I have plan for this too - and why I would like
to do this is for comparing performance difference of my application
between on squeak and on gst. I'm not sure but GST has different
api for sqlite and I think that porting sqlite dependent part as roe
can ease my port.

Thank you again.

  >  As subject says I'm finding tutorial or guide on ROE. My current
>  Seaside application uses SQLite3 and now I want to convert this
>  using ROE.

Not that I know of. Essentially it works exactly the same way as the
Smalltalk collection hierarchy: relations are the collections, and the
elements you iterate over are row-items. Only the message #do:
triggers fetching the data from the server, all other commands such as
#select:, #reject, ... get delayed until you actually need the data.

>  I know on Glorp but it does not have yet SQLite support and
>  make Glorp to support SQLite seems harder than ROE to support
>  SQLite.

I don't think that anybody used ROE with anything else than
PostgreSQL. Should be easy to add though.

There is also Magritte-ROE that does sort of a poor mans OR-mapping for ROE.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: [Q] Are there any tutorial on ROE?

Chun, Sungjin
Does gst have example on ROE? If so, it will be very helpful for me.
And current gst alpha does have support seaside, does this alpha version
runs well on vista? My last experience with gst on windows vista was
not successful. I have gcc path problem and next linking error and others.
On xp, with older version, I did make some small app with gst.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

  > Not that I know of. Essentially it works exactly the same way as the
> Smalltalk collection hierarchy: relations are the collections, and the
> elements you iterate over are row-items. Only the message #do:
> triggers fetching the data from the server, all other commands such as
> #select:, #reject, ... get delayed until you actually need the data.

I think it is best to look at the testsuite.

>>  I know on Glorp but it does not have yet SQLite support and
>>  make Glorp to support SQLite seems harder than ROE to support
>>  SQLite.
>
> I don't think that anybody used ROE with anything else than
> PostgreSQL. Should be easy to add though.

GNU Smalltalk has support for SQLite in ROE.  When I have time I have in
mind to backport at least the backend-independence parts to Squeak.

Paolo

Re: [Q] Are there any tutorial on ROE?

Paolo Bonzini-2
S.J.Chun wrote:
> Thank you for your help. My current application does not
> use Magritte yet - I have plan for this too - and why I would like
> to do this is for comparing performance difference of my application
> between on squeak and on gst. I'm not sure but GST has different
> api for sqlite and I think that porting sqlite dependent part as roe
> can ease my port.

Yes, you are probably right.

There are no examples of ROE, but you can look at packages/roe/Tests.st
(or browse the ROE namespace after evaluating "(PackageLoader packageAt:
'ROE') test fileInPackage").  In GST, you can just use "connection >>
'tablename'" on a DBI Connection object, to get a ROE object for the
given table.

Regarding your other question, GNU Smalltalk works on XP for sure
(Cygwin, don't know about MinGW as I got different messages with mixed
results).  I don't know anything about Vista, but in any case you would
probably be better off with Cygwin.

Paolo

Re: [Q] Are there any tutorial on ROE?

mkobetic-2
S.J.Chun wrote:
> PS)
> I know on Glorp but it does not have yet SQLite support and
> make Glorp to support SQLite seems harder than ROE to support
> SQLite.

Actually, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to add to Glorp either. All you need is a DatabasePlatform subclass for
SQLite and then it's just a matter of fishing out all the SQL quirks of that platform and making appropriate overrides
in that class, which can usually be done as you go. Take a look at the various Platform classes, you'll see that there's
often very little in them.

HTH,

Martin

Re: [Q] Are there any tutorial on ROE?

Chun, Sungjin

as my primary objective is somparing performance of my web app between
on squeak and on gst I'm focused on porting roe which seems to have been
supported on both platform. If glorp is available on both platform and using glorp
with sqlite is rather easy it could be my choice. But I'm not sure on glorp on
gst. So the ROE be my current choice.

Thank you.

S.J.Chun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as my primary objective is somparing performance of my web app between
> on squeak and on gst I'm focused on porting roe which seems to have been
> supported on both platform. If glorp is available on both platform and using glorp
> with sqlite is rather easy it could be my choice. But I'm not sure on glorp on
> gst. So the ROE be my current choice.

Glorp is available on GST but it is a relatively old version.

If your logic is currently expressed in SQL, using ROE should be easier.

Paolo