[Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

[Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

Chun, Sungjin
Hi,

some of you already heard about SproutCore framework. And it's know as one
of the main framework used by apple for their new mobileme site.

Could this framework be a better javascript/UI solution for Seaside?

Thank you for your opinions in advance.

Re: [Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

Lukas Renggli
>  some of you already heard about SproutCore framework. And it's know as one
>  of the main framework used by apple for their new mobileme site.

Certainly interesting, I am following this project for quite a while now.

>  Could this framework be a better javascript/UI solution for Seaside?

Better than what? Certainly depends on what you want to do exactly.

The library is very client-side and JavaScript heavy. I don't know, if
Seaside can help much as a server. The UI stuff looks very impressive.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

Dmitry Dorofeev
Hi,

I would advise to check http://extjs.com/ to see another great JS library.

They have even Java code (GWT) to generate Javascript which will display UI.
So you can follow that and recode in Smalltalk.

I like ExtJS much more than YUI (yahoo library). And what I see at SproutCore is
completely not impressive UI wise. Even if I express my respect to Apple-ish design it still
looks ugly.

just my 2 cents

-Dmitry.

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>  some of you already heard about SproutCore framework. And it's know as one
>>  of the main framework used by apple for their new mobileme site.
>
> Certainly interesting, I am following this project for quite a while now.
>
>>  Could this framework be a better javascript/UI solution for Seaside?
>
> Better than what? Certainly depends on what you want to do exactly.
>
> The library is very client-side and JavaScript heavy. I don't know, if
> Seaside can help much as a server. The UI stuff looks very impressive.
>
> Lukas

Re: [Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

Philippe Marschall
ExtJS is GPL.

Cheers
Philippe

2008/6/25 Dmitry Dorofeev <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I would advise to check http://extjs.com/ to see another great JS library.
>
> They have even Java code (GWT) to generate Javascript which will display UI.
> So you can follow that and recode in Smalltalk.
>
> I like ExtJS much more than YUI (yahoo library). And what I see at
> SproutCore is
> completely not impressive UI wise. Even if I express my respect to Apple-ish
> design it still
> looks ugly.
>
> just my 2 cents
>
> -Dmitry.
>
> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>>
>>>  some of you already heard about SproutCore framework. And it's know as
>>> one
>>>  of the main framework used by apple for their new mobileme site.
>>
>> Certainly interesting, I am following this project for quite a while now.
>>
>>>  Could this framework be a better javascript/UI solution for Seaside?
>>
>> Better than what? Certainly depends on what you want to do exactly.
>>
>> The library is very client-side and JavaScript heavy. I don't know, if
>> Seaside can help much as a server. The UI stuff looks very impressive.
>>
>> Lukas

Re: [Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

Vladimir Pogorelenko

23.06.2008, в 15:25, S.J.Chun написал(а):

> Hi,
>
> some of you already heard about SproutCore framework. And it's know
> as one
> of the main framework used by apple for their new mobileme site.
>
> Could this framework be a better javascript/UI solution for Seaside?

Demos works ok in Safari, but incorrectly in IE 7 and Opera for me.
Do you know if it should work correctly on windows?_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> ExtJS is GPL.

And JavaScript files are always sent to the client, so source code is provided as required by GPL.
I think you don't need to provide your server side source just because UI JavaScript library is GPL.

Am I wrong ?

-Dmitry.

> Cheers
> Philippe
>

> 2008/6/25 Dmitry Dorofeev <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would advise to check http://extjs.com/ to see another great JS library.
>>
>> They have even Java code (GWT) to generate Javascript which will display UI.
>> So you can follow that and recode in Smalltalk.
>>
>> I like ExtJS much more than YUI (yahoo library). And what I see at
>> SproutCore is
>> completely not impressive UI wise. Even if I express my respect to Apple-ish
>> design it still
>> looks ugly.
>>
>> just my 2 cents
>>
>> -Dmitry.

>>> Certainly interesting, I am following this project for quite a while now.

>>> Better than what? Certainly depends on what you want to do exactly.
>>>
>>> The library is very client-side and JavaScript heavy. I don't know, if
>>> Seaside can help much as a server. The UI stuff looks very impressive.
>>>
>>> Lukas

С уважением,
  Дмитрий Дорофеев,
  ООО "ЯСП",
  Генеральный директор
  +7 812 567 1076

Re: [Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

Randal L. Schwartz

Dmitry> And JavaScript files are always sent to the client, so source code is
Dmitry> provided as required by GPL.  I think you don't need to provide your
Dmitry> server side source just because UI JavaScript library is GPL.

Dmitry> Am I wrong ?

Some would argue that you are wrong.  If you are distributing GPL code as a
substantial part of your own product, the GPL license must be applied to your
code as well.  If it was only LGPL, you might have a better chance, unless
you're also "deriving" from it, in which case, the derivation is subject
to the LGPL.

Welcome to the world of viral licenses.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Dmitry> And JavaScript files are always sent to the client, so source code is
> Dmitry> provided as required by GPL.  I think you don't need to provide your
> Dmitry> server side source just because UI JavaScript library is GPL.
>
> Dmitry> Am I wrong ?
>
> Some would argue that you are wrong.  If you are distributing GPL code as a
> substantial part of your own product, the GPL license must be applied to your
> code as well.  If it was only LGPL, you might have a better chance, unless
> you're also "deriving" from it, in which case, the derivation is subject
> to the LGPL.
>
> Welcome to the world of viral licenses.

Pretty sad world I would say. It may end up with providing source code for my server's network card driver,
as it substantial part of my own pro(duct|ject) supplied to the end user.

'Ext' was LGPL before version 2.x, but citing from their site:

We considered once again releasing under straight LGPL but it was not an option as a business. We tried that with version 1.0 and found out quickly that it enabled others (e.g. large commercial entities) to take our work, wrap it up and sell it as their own. With no mention of us at all. We, as a business with a full time team of talented developers, can not exist under those circumstances. We would quickly become diluted and competing with ourselves.

-Dmitry.

Re: [Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

SeanTAllen

On Jun 25, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Dmitry Dorofeev wrote:

> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> ExtJS is GPL.
>
> And JavaScript files are always sent to the client, so source code
> is provided as required by GPL.
> I think you don't need to provide your server side source just
> because UI JavaScript library is GPL.
>
> Am I wrong ?

Ask the copyright holders.

Re: [Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

Randal L. Schwartz

Dmitry> We considered once again releasing under straight LGPL but it was not
Dmitry> an option as a business. We tried that with version 1.0 and found out
Dmitry> quickly that it enabled others (e.g. large commercial entities) to
Dmitry> take our work, wrap it up and sell it as their own. With no mention of
Dmitry> us at all. We, as a business with a full time team of talented
Dmitry> developers, can not exist under those circumstances. We would quickly
Dmitry> become diluted and competing with ourselves.

Oddly enough, if all they wanted was credit, a BSD license with
an advertising clause would have in fact done precisely that.

Oh, the confusion!

On Jun 25, 2008, at 1:46 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Dmitry> We considered once again releasing under straight LGPL but
> it was not
> Dmitry> an option as a business. We tried that with version 1.0 and
> found out
> Dmitry> quickly that it enabled others (e.g. large commercial
> entities) to
> Dmitry> take our work, wrap it up and sell it as their own. With no
> mention of
> Dmitry> us at all. We, as a business with a full time team of talented
> Dmitry> developers, can not exist under those circumstances. We
> would quickly
> Dmitry> become diluted and competing with ourselves.
>
> Oddly enough, if all they wanted was credit, a BSD license with
> an advertising clause would have in fact done precisely that.

I think the 'sell it as their own' might be a big part of that equation.

Sean> On Jun 25, 2008, at 1:46 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>> Oddly enough, if all they wanted was credit, a BSD license with
>> an advertising clause would have in fact done precisely that.

Sean> I think the 'sell it as their own' might be a big part of that equation.

Well, if you're giving it away as open source, someone else selling
it can't be part of the equation.  So the only part you might object
to is "their own", which would be handled with an advertising clause.

I often take open source as part of my commercial solutions.  I respect any
advertising clauses, but I'm certainly not going to be going out of my way to
not make money incorporating the work of others into my own work... that's the
whole *point* of open source: to not start over at ground zero for each new
task.  Go read the original RMS manifestos... that's the point he was trying
to make, although he decided to do it by ensuring that there was no such thing
as proprietary code.  I take a different tactic... that the core technologies
should be open, but each company can build their own company-specific items on
top of that.

On Jun 25, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Sean> On Jun 25, 2008, at 1:46 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>
>>> Oddly enough, if all they wanted was credit, a BSD license with
>>> an advertising clause would have in fact done precisely that.
>
> Sean> I think the 'sell it as their own' might be a big part of that
> equation.
>
> Well, if you're giving it away as open source, someone else selling
> it can't be part of the equation.  So the only part you might object
> to is "their own", which would be handled with an advertising clause.
>
> I often take open source as part of my commercial solutions.  I
> respect any
> advertising clauses, but I'm certainly not going to be going out of
> my way to
> not make money incorporating the work of others into my own work...
> that's the
> whole *point* of open source: to not start over at ground zero for
> each new
> task.  Go read the original RMS manifestos... that's the point he
> was trying
> to make, although he decided to do it by ensuring that there was no
> such thing
> as proprietary code.  I take a different tactic... that the core
> technologies
> should be open, but each company can build their own company-
> specific items on
> top of that.

I would read 'sell it as their own' to mean they can do what Next did
with BSD.
Tuck it away in a fortified little world with just an attribution. I
read that as,
if we are going to compete people using our code, we want all the
improvements as well.
And for that, you need the GPL. With BSD I could take their library as
a base, make some
bug fixes and not kick it back. That is what I read from the 'sell it
as their own'.

Anyway, license talk is never fun.

Re: [Q] Could SproutCore be another solution for Seaside?

wilkesj
I've only glanced, but it looks like that the most useful way to use
it with Smalltalk objects would be to write an Object Broker that
conforms to their REST API.

http://github.com/sproutit/sproutcore/wikis/using-the-built-in-rest-api

Then you are in a client/server model, so Gemstone or Magma could make
a nice backend for that.

- Wilkes