[Q] How to create a Java applet from a Squeak *.pr file and how to search mail archive

[Q] How to create a Java applet from a Squeak *.pr file and how to search mail archive

Young-Jin Lee-3
Hi,

I have a question about how to create a Java applet from a Squeak *.pr file. Is there a document explaining how to do it?

In addition, I want to know how to search Squeakland mail archive. I thought that this might be answered in the past, but could not figure out how to search the mailing list archive.

Thanks in advance.

Young-Jin Lee

Re: [Q] How to create a Java applet from a Squeak *.pr file and how to search mail archive

Bert Freudenberg
On Sep 26, 2007, at 3:18 , Young-Jin Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about how to create a Java applet from a Squeak
> *.pr file. Is there a document explaining how to do it?

If you want to know how to make a project available in a web browser:

1. upload it to a webserver making it accessible under some public
URL (e.g., http://my.domain/path/file.pr)

2. use the Squeakland project launch service (http://
www.squeakland.org/project.jsp) to display it:

        http://www.squeakland.org/project.jsp?http://my.domain/path/file.pr

   This embeds your project in an HTML page.

This is the same technique as a Java apple but uses the Squeak
plugin, not the Java plugin.

> In addition, I want to know how to search Squeakland mail archive.
> I thought that this might be answered in the past, but could not
> figure out how to search the mailing list archive.

For example on nabble:

        http://www.nabble.com/SqueakLand-f14187.html

or gmane:

        http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.squeakland

- Bert -

Re: [Q] How to create a Java applet from a Squeak *.pr file and how to search mail archive

Brad Fuller-2
On Tue September 25 2007, Young-Jin Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about how to create a Java applet from a Squeak *.pr
> file. Is there a document explaining how to do it?
>
> In addition, I want to know how to search Squeakland mail archive. I
> thought that this might be answered in the past, but could not figure out
> how to search the mailing list archive.

You can search on gmane:
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.squeakland

or Nabble:
http://www.nabble.com/SqueakLand-f14187.html

There's a custom search for squeak, but I don't know if it includes
squeakland:

http://google.com/coop/cse?cx=008315932112852043911%3Ayuibfrpnbc0

Re: [Q] How to create a Java applet from a Squeak *.pr file and how to search mail archive

ax r
Hi, (and sorry for my English as a second language)

On Tue September 25 2007, Young-Jin Lee wrote:
> In addition, I want to know how to search Squeakland mail archive.

A year ago or so I asked about this issue to the admin of '*one of*
the Squeak emailing lists and he replied that Squeak sites (including
email archives) are well indexed by Google, so there really isn't a
necessity to provide "search interface"on the site...(I don't remember
his name.)

I interpreted another thing kind of implied in what he wrote back to
me was - he thinks anyone who'd come to Squeak sites would be smart or
tech savvy? enough to know Google has domain specific search feature
and one can use it - (like I knew and asked him whether is there any
other 'hidden feature' on the side or not.)

if you don't find search feature in the long and deep mail archives of
Squeak sites...
Of course, you know Google's Domain specific search feature!
You are smart enough to be interested in Squeak!
So why we even bother to mention on our sites!

I was kind of persuaded. But I wondered about that's the really right
approach or not. But I didn't feel Squeak lists have space for talking
about such issues. Maybe I feel these days there is a bit of space for
such talk...

I know Mark Guzdial's Squeak sites had/have somewhat designed
(cohesive) search interface.

By all means, the method sometimes I use is using Google's domain/site
specific search feature.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

then it has Domain specific search feature listed, there type in

squeakland.org/pipermail/squeakland/

and search "Java Applet"(exact phrase). By so far Google says there
hasn't been a single talk about "Java Applet" in Squeakland mailing
list. "Java" returns 75 hits.

I don't know how one can verify Google really has it really perfect, or not.
How can one know about that?

 [(In a very small voice) I wish if Squeak/SmallTalk had more well
planned coordinations about how they show up to general, outside
public. Explaining clearly to public 'Why' Squeak sites have to depend
on Google or outside system - why it doesn't have on its own search
engine - could be a very interesting, great process.]

Regards,

ax.