[Q] Korean/Multibyte Character Encoding in Dolphin Smalltalk?

[Q] Korean/Multibyte Character Encoding in Dolphin Smalltalk?

Sungjin Chun
Hi,

I just tried to build application using Dolphin Smalltalk but faced a
problem; When I try in Workspace with simple test code with Korean, it
does emit some very wrong error like index out of bounds. The test code
is 'ABC' size(yes, instead of 'ABC' you have to type some Korean text
there :). Is this normal behavior which means Dolphin Smalltalk has
problem with UTF8 (except western alphabet which uses single byte)? If
so, I'm very unhappy... Or is there any way of working around this
problem?

Thanks in advance.

Re: [Q] Korean/Multibyte Character Encoding in Dolphin Smalltalk?

Fernando Rodríguez
On 22 Mar 2005 19:32:54 -0800, "NeXT" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just tried to build application using Dolphin Smalltalk but faced a
>problem; When I try in Workspace with simple test code with Korean, it
>does emit some very wrong error like index out of bounds. The test code
>is 'ABC' size(yes, instead of 'ABC' you have to type some Korean text
>there :). Is this normal behavior which means Dolphin Smalltalk has
>problem with UTF8 (except western alphabet which uses single byte)? If
>so, I'm very unhappy... Or is there any way of working around this
>problem?

Maybe you have to explicitly use the UnicodeString class... :-?

Re: [Q] Korean/Multibyte Character Encoding in Dolphin Smalltalk?

Andy Bower-3
NeXT,

> I just tried to build application using Dolphin Smalltalk but faced a
> problem; When I try in Workspace with simple test code with Korean, it
> does emit some very wrong error like index out of bounds. The test
> code is 'ABC' size(yes, instead of 'ABC' you have to type some Korean
> text there :). Is this normal behavior which means Dolphin Smalltalk
> has problem with UTF8 (except western alphabet which uses single
> byte)? If so, I'm very unhappy... Or is there any way of working
> around this problem?

I'm not familiar with Korean but I wouldn't expect this to work. You
may be able to make some progress writing applications using
UnicodeString but in general you'll find Dolphin's support for
non-ascii strings to be somewhat lacking. Try doing a Google groups
search for dolphin+smalltalk+unicode to get an idea of other peoples
experiences in this area.

BTw, since yours is a recent purchase of Dolphin, we will happily
refund you if you are unhappy with the product. You just need write to
me at the reply e-mail address (with the spam barrier removed) and I'll
sort something out.

Best regards

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support