[Q] [Scriptaculous and Comet] SUStream related question

12

[Q] [Scriptaculous and Comet] SUStream related question

Chun, Sungjin

Re: [Q] [Scriptaculous and Comet] SUStream related question

Lukas Renggli
> In SUStream class method encode:to: the character is encoded using
> asInteger. But I think this seems wrong. Should it be asUnicode instead
> of asInteger?

I don't remember exactly, but it is certainly a spot where we have to
take care with VisualWorks compatibility. What is the difference
between #asUnicode and #asInteger? Is #asUnicode available in 3.7?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Q] [Scriptaculous and Comet] SUStream related question

Chun, Sungjin

Re: [Q] [Scriptaculous and Comet] SUStream related question

Philippe Marschall

Re: [Q] [Scriptaculous and Comet] SUStream related question

Chun, Sungjin

No, from my experiment, two values are difference. For example, Korean
syllable Kiyoek has code value of 16r3131 in unicode table;

ch _ Character leadingChar: 255 code: 16r3131.
ch inspect. "you can sea angle like character if you have korean font"
ch asInteger. "1069560113"
ch asUnicode. "12593"

This difference makes Comet example chat does not work with
korean/japanese/chinese like languages.

Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2006/10/13, Sungjin Chun <[hidden email]>:
> asUnicode returns unicode value of a given character, asInteger returns
> (rather meaningless) squeak only definition of value of character.
>
>> Oh no. On >= 3.8 #asInteger returns the unicode code point. Which is
>> _exactly_ what you need.
>
>> Philippe
>
> On
> 3.7, I'm not sure this method exists or not. But at least for me, who
> need to use UTF-8(for korean), asInteger makes the application not work.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>> In SUStream class method encode:to: the character is encoded using
>>> asInteger. But I think this seems wrong. Should it be asUnicode
> instead
>>> of asInteger?
>
>> I don't remember exactly, but it is certainly a spot where we have to
>> take care with VisualWorks compatibility. What is the difference
>> between #asUnicode and #asInteger? Is #asUnicode available in 3.7?
>
>> Lukas

Re: [Q] [Scriptaculous and Comet] SUStream related question

Yoshiki Ohshima
  Philippe,

> > asUnicode returns unicode value of a given character, asInteger returns
> > (rather meaningless) squeak only definition of value of character.
>
> Oh no. On >= 3.8 #asInteger returns the unicode code point. Which is
> _exactly_ what you need.

  asInteger doesn't return the unicode code point.  Since Unicode is a
21-bit character set, we have otherwise unused bits in a word.  At the
same time, bare Unicode character lacks the information (basically)
how to present themselves.  So, we put a few more bits there to
distinguish some "unified" characters.

  There is a method called #charCode, that gives you the bare Unicode
code point.  #leadingChar returns the upper bits that denotes the
"language tag".

-- Yoshiki

2006/10/14, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]>:

>   Philippe,
>
> > > asUnicode returns unicode value of a given character, asInteger returns
> > > (rather meaningless) squeak only definition of value of character.
> >
> > Oh no. On >= 3.8 #asInteger returns the unicode code point. Which is
> > _exactly_ what you need.
>
>   asInteger doesn't return the unicode code point.  Since Unicode is a
> 21-bit character set, we have otherwise unused bits in a word.  At the
> same time, bare Unicode character lacks the information (basically)
> how to present themselves.  So, we put a few more bits there to
> distinguish some "unified" characters.
>
>   There is a method called #charCode, that gives you the bare Unicode
> code point.  #leadingChar returns the upper bits that denotes the
> "language tag".

Ooops, didn't know that. Learned something. Thanks.

Philippe

2006/10/14, Sungjin Chun <[hidden email]>:

> No, from my experiment, two values are difference. For example, Korean
> syllable Kiyoek has code value of 16r3131 in unicode table;
>
> ch _ Character leadingChar: 255 code: 16r3131.
> ch inspect. "you can sea angle like character if you have korean font"
> ch asInteger. "1069560113"
> ch asUnicode. "12593"
>
> This difference makes Comet example chat does not work with
> korean/japanese/chinese like languages.

Also the form example in SUAllTests seems to be broken on 3.9 for
WAListener for non-ASCII characters. Even Latin1 characters break it.
#asUnicode does not fix this.

> [...]

> > WAListenerEncoded Running) and reopen, the image just freezed and I
> > cannot access to the service(seaside application) nor tools.
> >
> > Is there any relationship between new version of seaside and this
> > problem?
> >
> >> Don't know yet, but I can confirm the problem :(
> >> Squeak image is taking up 100 % CPU.
> >
> >> gdb seems to indicate that it's constantly in
> >> in WAListener>listenLoop
> >
> >> I'd say it's either WALinstener* or Comet related.
> >
> >> Philippe
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> It seems that this problem is related to WAListener*, not Comet, though
> I'm not sure. What I've tested is that stop the Comet's ping process and
>  keep the WAListener* running, this problem just happens, even though
> ping process(which is related to Comet) not running.
>
> Is this related to network initialization in squeak? I cannot figure out

WAListener does not terminate itself when it the image quits. It then
holds an invalid socket. Compared to subclasses of WAKom this doesn't
turn out well for subclasses of WAListener.

That it runs at:
Processor highIOPriority
doesn't really help as well

WAListenerEncoded initialize.
WAListenerEncoded39 initialize.
was missing

If you manage to execute
WAListenerEncoded stop
After the image startup it should be usable again.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Philippe

> Thanks.
12