Q: any work around ROS has been done on Pharo?

Q: any work around ROS has been done on Pharo?

Igor Stasenko
Hi,

i wonder, are there any projects to run/connect Pharo with ROS(robot operating system)
i'm interested in any bits, starting from basic ones,
since i'm gonna to work with it in closest future, so would be nice to use Pharo
& stand on a shoulders of others, of course, to learn it fester and understand it better.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Q: any work around ROS has been done on Pharo?

Clément Béra
Hi Igor.

People at Mines de douai were working on Pharo with ROS. Contact Luc Fabresse or Noury Bouraqadi, people like Santiago, Guillermo polito or Nick Papoulias may also be aware of the work. I don't know what was done exactly.

Have fun.

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 9:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

i wonder, are there any projects to run/connect Pharo with ROS(robot operating system)
i'm interested in any bits, starting from basic ones,
since i'm gonna to work with it in closest future, so would be nice to use Pharo
& stand on a shoulders of others, of course, to learn it fester and understand it better.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Igor Stasenko.

Re: Q: any work around ROS has been done on Pharo?

stepharong
Hi igor

Pharos is developed at Ecole des Mines de Douai by Noury, Luc and Santiago was working on it during 1,5 years.
Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]>
Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]>

Stef

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 21:38:29 +0100, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

i wonder, are there any projects to run/connect Pharo with ROS(robot operating system)
i'm interested in any bits, starting from basic ones,
since i'm gonna to work with it in closest future, so would be nice to use Pharo
& stand on a shoulders of others, of course, to learn it fester and understand it better.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Q: any work around ROS has been done on Pharo?

Igor Stasenko
Yes, i remember this.. But i never had a chance to look for details..
Would be nice to hear what is there, since i complete noob with ROS :)

Is Noury & others reading this mailing list? I thought they are..

On 23 December 2016 at 17:15, stepharong <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi igor

Pharos is developed at Ecole des Mines de Douai by Noury, Luc and Santiago was working on it during 1,5 years.
Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]>
Luc Fabresse <[hidden email]>

Stef

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 21:38:29 +0100, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

i wonder, are there any projects to run/connect Pharo with ROS(robot operating system)
i'm interested in any bits, starting from basic ones,
since i'm gonna to work with it in closest future, so would be nice to use Pharo
& stand on a shoulders of others, of course, to learn it fester and understand it better.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Q: any work around ROS has been done on Pharo?

EstebanLM
http://car.mines-douai.fr/category/pharos/

no idea what’s that status of all that, but I remember Santiago considered that version of Pharo as obsolete (but no idea if it was replaced).

Esteban

Igor Stasenko.

On 24 Dec 2016, at 10:09, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://car.mines-douai.fr/category/pharos/

no idea what’s that status of all that, but I remember Santiago considered that version of Pharo as obsolete (but no idea if it was replaced).

sorry: "that version of *PhaROS* obsolete".

[...]

SergeStinckwich
Maybe on github:

I would like to use PhaROS for a new project. I'm also interested to have access to last version ;-)

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 24 déc. 2016 à 10:10, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

abergel
Hi Igor,

Johan Fabry and his group have been working on a complete environment on top of ROS to steer robots.
https://pleiad.cl/research/software/lrp

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Dec 22, 2016, at 9:38 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> i wonder, are there any projects to run/connect Pharo with ROS(robot operating system)
> i'm interested in any bits, starting from basic ones,
> since i'm gonna to work with it in closest future, so would be nice to use Pharo
> & stand on a shoulders of others, of course, to learn it fester and understand it better.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Q: any work around ROS has been done on Pharo?

jfabry
Hi Igor, Alex,

we are actually using PhaROS underneath, which was built by the guys at Douai (Luc, Noury, et.al.). They deserve all the ROS interfacing credit :-) See http://car.mines-douai.fr/2014/06/how-to-install-pharos/

--
Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

On 24 December 2016 at 14:07, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Igor, Alex,

we are actually using PhaROS underneath, which was built by the guys at Douai (Luc, Noury, et.al.). They deserve all the ROS interfacing credit :-) See http://car.mines-douai.fr/2014/06/how-to-install-pharos/

Yeah.. i will no doubt check it.. once i get managed to establish bullet-proof connection with our drone.. today i spent day&night hacking my unix box to bring up connection automatically,
once i plug the modem..
I just don't see how else i could use ROS :) The perspective of sitting in python for it frightens me to deepest depths :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Q: any work around ROS has been done on Pharo?

Igor Stasenko
Cool, i installed it,
and now i have some questions.
What i should do in order to:
- connect with ros master
- get list of available topics
- subscribe to a chosen topic
- and finally receive some data from it

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Q: any work around ROS has been done on Pharo?

Igor Stasenko

Hmm okay, i created own ros package
and started an example nodelet that prints 'hello world' , when i push messages from outside by ros..
now the question is how i should gracefully stop these nodelets and let them unsubscribe/die gracefully..
because i now have 4 instances of ROSMaster in my image and all locked by waiting for some mutex/semaphores and
telling them 'stop' waits forever and blocks everything..
How i can clean this up?

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Q: any work around ROS has been done on Pharo?

Max Mattone
Hi Igor,

I played with PhaROS quite a bit while I was working at Mines Douai. But at the time, cleanning instances was quite an issue.. I use to tend to work with rosMaster instances that already exists or build a new image everytime it get too slow because of those ros master instances...
You can try:
'''
PhaROSSystem cleanAll.
'''
But I think it keeps some instances anyway.

As far as I remember, I think they were working on rebuilding the networking interface to solve this issue.
And Santi was also working on PhaROS2 looking for robustness...
I dont know the statut of those projects.

regards,

maxmattone