QualityAssistant v0.4

12

QualityAssistant v0.4

Uko2
Hi everyone!

Probably most of you know, that I am developing a tool called QualityAssistant, which displays current critics about your code in SystemBrowser, Inspector and Spotter.

I’m happy to tell you that there is a new release v0.4 which does not require you to do any previous setup! Just load it from configuration browser (pharo 4 & 5) and it will start giving you feedback. More details can be found here: https://github.com/Uko/QualityAssistant#quality-assistant-beta-. If you are upgrading from older version, it is recommended to load QualityAssistant into a fresh image, because multiple announcement and process changes may cause exceptions in old objects.

Even if you are an experienced programmer you can find QualityAssistant useful for instantly spotting typos or making sure that you didn’t forget some details about your code.

Please give me a feedback about your experience, as I want to make it even more useful. Either write me an email, or open an entry at: https://github.com/Uko/QualityAssistant/issues

Have a nice week!
Uko

Re: QualityAssistant v0.4

EstebanLM
this is so good.
what about integrate it to Pharo?

cheers,
Esteban

On 22 Apr 2015, at 08:58, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<critics.jpg>

Re: QualityAssistant v0.4

CyrilFerlicot
Good job ! :D
Really usefull

--
Cheers
Cyril Ferlicot

Re: [Moose-dev] QualityAssistant v0.4

Uko2
I am definitely interested in it. Let me know what I should do for this.

I haven’t got a lot of feedback from users, but I fixed problems reported by my group and Alex Bergel. The remaining reported issues are quite minor and related to how SmallLint works. Changes to SmallLint will arrive later after I figure out what the rules are about and what is the way to improve them.

Cheers,
Uko

On 22 Apr 2015, at 12:23, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Damien Cassou-2

kilon alios <[hidden email]> writes:

> you definetly got feedback from me with one feature request you did not
> reply ;)

same from me: in my opinion, the notifications should not be part of the
code browser because we can also code in the inspector and the debugger.
I think they should appear at the bottom of the Pharo window.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: [Moose-dev] QualityAssistant v0.4

Tudor Girba-2
I think that feedback should be as close as possible to the place it relates to :)

Doru

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

kilon alios <[hidden email]> writes:

> you definetly got feedback from me with one feature request you did not
> reply ;)

same from me: in my opinion, the notifications should not be part of the
code browser because we can also code in the inspector and the debugger.
I think they should appear at the bottom of the Pharo window.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Moose-dev] QualityAssistant v0.4

Fabrizio Perin-3
I think that feedback should be as close as possible to the place it relates to :)

+1

Re: QualityAssistant v0.4

Tudor Girba-2

I only took a brief look, but I think that reaching the no-input-required situation is a major step forward.

Nice job. Keep it up.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Moose-dev] QualityAssistant v0.4

Uko2

> On 22 Apr 2015, at 14:19, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> kilon alios <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> you definetly got feedback from me with one feature request you did not
>> reply ;)
>
> same from me: in my opinion, the notifications should not be part of the
> code browser because we can also code in the inspector and the debugger.
> I think they should appear at the bottom of the Pharo window.

I remember this request, Damien. After it I’ve added also information about critics in the inspector and spotter. At the moment I haven’t done anything with debugger, but I will definitely look into it.

QualityAssitant was showing global notifications at the beginning, but this imposes other kind of problem: how do you deal with many entities that change simultaneously? Another example is when you load package with Monticello, as code is in fact modified, and you are spammed with notifications.

This is why I decided to step down and now the main goal of QualityAssistant is to assure that you can ask each entity about it’s quality and receive the critics. Then tools like SystemBrowser, Inspector or Debugger can implement a view section that displays this property of an entity.

Current approach does not forbid the creation of global notification system and I will work on it, as soon as I’m done with higher priority tasks, or we can hack something together during ESUG. Your feedback is very important, and while you don’t see the requested feature available yet, it has influenced the design decisions taken during the development :)

Cheers.
Uko

"Every thing has its own flow"

Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> writes:

> Current approach does not forbid the creation of global notification system and I will work on it, as soon as I’m done with higher priority tasks, or we can hack something together during ESUG. Your feedback is very important, and while you don’t see the requested feature available yet, it has influenced the design decisions taken during the development :)

:-)

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: QualityAssistant v0.4

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Uko2 wrote
I am developing a tool called QualityAssistant, which displays current critics about your code in SystemBrowser, Inspector and Spotter.
Holy crap - this tool is /Amazing/! It highlights the offending code and even has a button to fix automatically if possible!!! +1 to integration
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [Moose-dev] QualityAssistant v0.4

jfabry
Hola,

It looks like a really cool tool! I just added it to my LRP development image and I plan on using it full time. I am always interested in writing cleaner code.

So expect comments from me :-) Actually I already have one:

For one class I got the critic ‘References an abstract class’ and 'Subclass responsibility not defined’. Excellent that you found it, but now I have to go through all the methods of the class to see where the first critic comes from, and through all methods of all leaf classes for the second one. :-( :-( :-( That’s a lot of work for me to rescue some information which apparently the tool already knows. Please add more information on where the issue is on these kinds of errors, so I can fix them more easily ...

Thanks and keep up the good work!

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

On 22 Apr 2015, at 15:59, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hola,

It looks like a really cool tool! I just added it to my LRP development image and I plan on using it full time. I am always interested in writing cleaner code.

Thanks :)

So expect comments from me :-) Actually I already have one:

For one class I got the critic ‘References an abstract class’ and 'Subclass responsibility not defined’. Excellent that you found it, but now I have to go through all the methods of the class to see where the first critic comes from, and through all methods of all leaf classes for the second one. :-( :-( :-( That’s a lot of work for me to rescue some information which apparently the tool already knows. Please add more information on where the issue is on these kinds of errors, so I can fix them more easily …

Yes, this is the major issue with SmallLint. If you are interested in details here it goes:
for example "References an abstract class” is defined to work on a class, and it’s definitely easier to check whether the class is abstract and has any references than taking a method getting all class references and checking is any class is abstract. But as the result you get a critic about the class and not about the methods that access it.

Right now I’m analyzing Small Lint rules to see what issues they have and understanding how to approach the problem. Maybe some temporary hack will be possible for certain rules, otherwise it will be fixed when I get to improving the Small Lint.

Nevertheless your feedback is very important, as I get to know what the real issues are.

Cheers,
Uko

[...]

Re: [Pharo-users] QualityAssistant v0.4

jfabry
Some weird behavior in quality assistant. Have a look at this method:

duplicateVar: aVarName

self show: 'Var: ', aVarName, ' redefinition ignored'.

This raises the issue: ‘Use cascaded nextPutAll:’s instead of #, in nextPutAll:’ It also pops up the automatic rewrite icon, so I clicked on it to see how it would transform the code. Result:

duplicateVar: aVarName
self
show: 'Var: ' , aVarName;
show: ' redefinition ignored'

Needless to say, that’s not a behavior preserving transformation.

On Apr 22, 2015, at 03:58, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please give me a feedback about your experience, as I want to make it even more useful. Either write me an email, or open an entry at: https://github.com/Uko/QualityAssistant/issues

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: [Pharo-users] QualityAssistant v0.4

Uko2
Good point, this brings up two problems.

1) The rule can improve detection by checking the type is the message is sent to self
2) Automatic fixing should display the changes and letting you decide whether you want to apply them.

1st will take some time. 2nd will be soon in QA :)

Uko

On 22 Apr 2015, at 16:33, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi !
Your quality assistant say to me "repeated method in the superclass"
(If a class is overriding a method, it should use a different code. Is
meaningless to have a method in a class and in its superclass) but
i've 3 methods into my class and all overrides a method with "^
shouldBeImplemented" in the superclass.
I think something is wrong with this warning :)

On 22 April 2015 at 16:45, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good point, this brings up two problems.
>
> 1) The rule can improve detection by checking the type is the message is
> sent to self
> 2) Automatic fixing should display the changes and letting you decide
> whether you want to apply them.
>
> 1st will take some time. 2nd will be soon in QA :)
>
> Uko
>

> On 22 Apr 2015, at 16:33, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Some weird behavior in quality assistant. Have a look at this method:
>
> duplicateVar: aVarName
>
> self show: 'Var: ', aVarName, ' redefinition ignored'.
>
> This raises the issue: ‘Use cascaded nextPutAll:’s instead of #, in
> nextPutAll:’ It also pops up the automatic rewrite icon, so I clicked on it
> to see how it would transform the code. Result:
>
> duplicateVar: aVarName
> self
> show: 'Var: ' , aVarName;
> show: ' redefinition ignored'
>
> Needless to say, that’s not a behavior preserving transformation.
>

> On Apr 22, 2015, at 03:58, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Please give me a feedback about your experience, as I want to make it even
> more useful. Either write me an email, or open an entry at:
> https://github.com/Uko/QualityAssistant/issues
>

> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

--
Cheers
Cyril Ferlicot

Re: [Moose-dev] QualityAssistant v0.4

stepharo
Yuriy this is excellent because it will force us to have
     - better rules
     - rules with as many as automatic transformations as possible :)

Excellent job.

Stef

12