Que tal?

abergel
Hi!

"Que tal?" in Spanish can be translated in English as "How are you? How things are going?"

It would be cool that each of us briefly summarize what he is working on and what is the future plan.

Visualization engine:
I am intensively working on Roassal. A new visualization engine that should replace Mondrian. Roassal will provide a better user experience with visually appealing animations and interactions. I will probably make some announcement at the beginning of March.
The mid-long term vision of Roassal is to have an agile and portable visualization engine. I want to make it work on VisualWorks and Amber, in addition to Pharo.

Analyzing Smalltalk application:
Together with Santiago, we are working on using unit test to refine model obtained from Smalltalk applications. The idea is to profile what is currently executing to reduce superfluous invocation candidates.

I also applied to some grant to analyze JavaScript applications in Moose. We will see how it goes.

What about you?

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Que tal?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Good idea. This is what I wanted to get when I asked about what people are doing a while ago :). I will follow up on this topic after we release 4.6. Until then:

- Humane assessment, marketing  and the Moose architecture:
--- Humane assessment is what I discovered to bring value in practice, and I want to get Moose to support its workflows. For example, I want to get a rule in a report in under 15 minutes.
--- We have to find the key message that can be used to communicate what we are doing. Humane assessment can be a good driver. For example, a candidate message is "Your analysis in under 15 minutes", or "Making your analysis happen".
--- Marketing is much easier when the product is aligned internally with the key message. That is why we have to rethink the architecture and package the code accordingly. My current view is summarized here:
http://www.humane-assessment.com/res/moose-flyer-a5.pdf

- Browsing and visualization:
What we have done with Glamour or Mondrian is just in its infancy. There is a ton of things that I think could be done, and that go way beyond what the current rendering offers. But this is a larger project that requires more collaboration and synchronization.

- Rethinking the way we work:
Moose was born out of research, and this should continue to happen. Engineering is important, but we have to come together and do research. The key is "together". This does not happen much lately.

- Other interests: new query possibilities (e.g., SOUL), new data sources, scaleability, and new presentation mediums (e.g., html5).

Cheers,
Doru

On 11 Feb 2012, at 13:31, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> "Que tal?" in Spanish can be translated in English as "How are you? How things are going?"
>
> It would be cool that each of us briefly summarize what he is working on and what is the future plan.
>
> Visualization engine:
> I am intensively working on Roassal. A new visualization engine that should replace Mondrian. Roassal will provide a better user experience with visually appealing animations and interactions. I will probably make some announcement at the beginning of March.
> The mid-long term vision of Roassal is to have an agile and portable visualization engine. I want to make it work on VisualWorks and Amber, in addition to Pharo.
>
> Analyzing Smalltalk application:
> Together with Santiago, we are working on using unit test to refine model obtained from Smalltalk applications. The idea is to profile what is currently executing to reduce superfluous invocation candidates.
>
> I also applied to some grant to analyze JavaScript applications in Moose. We will see how it goes.
>
> What about you?
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: Que tal?

On Feb 11, 2012, at 1:31 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> "Que tal?" in Spanish can be translated in English as "How are you? How things are going?"
>
> It would be cool that each of us briefly summarize what he is working on and what is the future plan.
>
> Visualization engine:
> I am intensively working on Roassal. A new visualization engine that should replace Mondrian. Roassal will provide a better user experience with visually appealing animations and interactions. I will probably make some announcement at the beginning of March.
> The mid-long term vision of Roassal is to have an agile and portable visualization engine. I want to make it work on VisualWorks and Amber, in addition to Pharo.

Good luck then. Then a question what are your clients on VW?
I would prefer to have a version using cairo and athens canvas.

> Analyzing Smalltalk application:
> Together with Santiago, we are working on using unit test to refine model obtained from Smalltalk applications. The idea is to profile what is currently executing to reduce superfluous invocation candidates.
>
> I also applied to some grant to analyze JavaScript applications in Moose. We will see how it goes.
>
> What about you?
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Re: Que tal?

Andre Hora
Hello,

Last months we worked in a dedicated application to deal with visual exploration and analysis of bugs, called BugMaps (basically we used Hismo and adapted some of its metrics to the context of bugs) [1]. Another work in which Moose is involved is [2].
In the meantime, I am slowly increasing/fixing EyeSee. I also want to create Kiviat diagrams.

ps: I am including the .bib if you wish to update the Moose publications.

[1] BugMaps: A Tool for the Visual Exploration and Analysis of Bugs. Andre Cavalcante Hora; Nicolas Anquetil; Stéphane Ducasse; Muhammad Usman Bhatti; Cesar Couto; Marco Tulio Valente; Julio Martins. CSMR 2012 (Tool Demonstration Track).

@inproceedings{hora2012a,
AUTHOR = {Hora, Andre and Anquetil, Nicolas and Ducasse, St{\'e}phane and Bhatti, Muhammad Usman and Couto, Cesar and Tulio Valente, Marco and Martins, Julio},
TITLE = {{BugMaps: A Tool for the Visual Exploration and Analysis of Bugs}},
BOOKTITLE = {{Proceedings of the 16th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering (CSMR'12) - Tool Demonstration Track}},
YEAR = {2012},
NOTE = {page : to appear},
ADDRESS = {Szeged, Hungary}}

[2] Uncovering Causal Relationships between Software Metrics and Bugs. Cesar Couto; Silva Christofer; Marco Tulio Valente; Roberto Bigonha; Nicolas Anquetil. CSMR 2012.

@inproceedings{couto2012a,
AUTHOR = {Couto, Cesar and Christofer, Silva and Tulio Valente, Marco and Bigonha, Roberto and Anquetil, Nicolas},
TITLE = {{Uncovering Causal Relationships between Software Metrics and Bugs}},
BOOKTITLE = {{CSMR - European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering - 2012}},
YEAR = {2012},
PUBLISHER = {IEEE Comp. Soc.},
KEYWORDS = {Bug Prediction; Causality; Software Metrics; Granger Test},
ADDRESS = {Szeged, Hungary}}

regards,

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Feb 11, 2012, at 1:31 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> "Que tal?" in Spanish can be translated in English as "How are you? How things are going?"
>
> It would be cool that each of us briefly summarize what he is working on and what is the future plan.
>
> Visualization engine:
> I am intensively working on Roassal. A new visualization engine that should replace Mondrian. Roassal will provide a better user experience with visually appealing animations and interactions. I will probably make some announcement at the beginning of March.
> The mid-long term vision of Roassal is to have an agile and portable visualization engine. I want to make it work on VisualWorks and Amber, in addition to Pharo.

Good luck then. Then a question what are your clients on VW?
I would prefer to have a version using cairo and athens canvas.

> Analyzing Smalltalk application:
> Together with Santiago, we are working on using unit test to refine model obtained from Smalltalk applications. The idea is to profile what is currently executing to reduce superfluous invocation candidates.
>
> I also applied to some grant to analyze JavaScript applications in Moose. We will see how it goes.
>
> What about you?
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Andre Hora

Re: Que tal?

SergeStinckwich
On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Good idea. This is what I wanted to get when I asked about what people are doing a while ago :). I will follow up on this topic after we release 4.6. Until then:
>
> - Humane assessment, marketing  and the Moose architecture:
> --- Humane assessment is what I discovered to bring value in practice, and I want to get Moose to support its workflows. For example, I want to get a rule in a report in under 15 minutes.
> --- We have to find the key message that can be used to communicate what we are doing. Humane assessment can be a good driver. For example, a candidate message is "Your analysis in under 15 minutes", or "Making your analysis happen".
> --- Marketing is much easier when the product is aligned internally with the key message. That is why we have to rethink the architecture and package the code accordingly. My current view is summarized here:
> http://www.humane-assessment.com/res/moose-flyer-a5.pdf
>
> - Browsing and visualization:
> What we have done with Glamour or Mondrian is just in its infancy. There is a ton of things that I think could be done, and that go way beyond what the current rendering offers. But this is a larger project that requires more collaboration and synchronization.

Are you interested by visualization outside code analysis ?
For example visualization of complex system behavior like swarms or
flocks : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarm_intelligence
There is tools like netlogo to do that but there are not really
interactive most of the time.
In the same context, i'm also interested by tools to do
multi-parameter space exploration like here:
http://behaviorsearch.org/
A mondrian-like language specialized in this task could be very interesting.

I try to push people here at the Vietnam National University in this direction.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)

Re: Que tal?

Usman Bhatti
Hello all,

I've been using Moose to create some tools for analysis and helping people in INRIA to use some customized tools. In the meantime, I reports a few bugs and tried to correct them as far as I could.

I am interested in testing the current infrastructure and contribute to it whenever possible.
I am ready to help to move Moose to pharo 1.4.

regards,
Usman

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

"Que tal?" in Spanish can be translated in English as "How are you? How things are going?"

It would be cool that each of us briefly summarize what he is working on and what is the future plan.

Visualization engine:
I am intensively working on Roassal. A new visualization engine that should replace Mondrian. Roassal will provide a better user experience with visually appealing animations and interactions. I will probably make some announcement at the beginning of March.
The mid-long term vision of Roassal is to have an agile and portable visualization engine. I want to make it work on VisualWorks and Amber, in addition to Pharo.

Analyzing Smalltalk application:
Together with Santiago, we are working on using unit test to refine model obtained from Smalltalk applications. The idea is to profile what is currently executing to reduce superfluous invocation candidates.

I also applied to some grant to analyze JavaScript applications in Moose. We will see how it goes.

What about you?

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Que tal?

abergel

> ps: I am including the .bib if you wish to update the Moose publications.

I will process them once back from holiday.

Alexandre

Re: Que tal?

Santiago Vidal
Hi,
Currently, I'm working in the analysis of Smalltalk, C++ and Java applications by detecting hot spots to be refactored and by prioritizing these hot spots using different criteria. The detection is focus in the last version of an application as well as the whole history (I'm using Hismo).

Cheers,
  Santiago
2012/2/13 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>

> ps: I am including the .bib if you wish to update the Moose publications.

I will process them once back from holiday.

Alexandre

Santiago Vidal

Re: Que tal?

Usman Bhatti
Hello Santiago,
What tool are you using to extract C++ program information?

thanx
Usman

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Santiago Vidal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
Currently, I'm working in the analysis of Smalltalk, C++ and Java applications by detecting hot spots to be refactored and by prioritizing these hot spots using different criteria. The detection is focus in the last version of an application as well as the whole history (I'm using Hismo).

Cheers,
  Santiago

2012/2/13 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>

> ps: I am including the .bib if you wish to update the Moose publications.

I will process them once back from holiday.

Alexandre

Santiago Vidal

Re: Que tal?

Hi santiago

how do you import C++ in Moose?

On Feb 15, 2012, at 2:50 PM, Santiago Vidal wrote:

> Hi,
> Currently, I'm working in the analysis of Smalltalk, C++ and Java applications by detecting hot spots to be refactored and by prioritizing these hot spots using different criteria. The detection is focus in the last version of an application as well as the whole history (I'm using Hismo).
>
> Cheers,
>   Santiago
> 2012/2/13 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>
>
> > ps: I am including the .bib if you wish to update the Moose publications.
>
> I will process them once back from holiday.
>
> Alexandre

> Santiago Vidal

Re: Que tal?

Santiago Vidal
I'm starting with that. However, I'd used inFamix to generate some MSE files

2012/2/15 Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]>
Hello Santiago,
What tool are you using to extract C++ program information?

thanx
Usman

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Santiago Vidal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
Currently, I'm working in the analysis of Smalltalk, C++ and Java applications by detecting hot spots to be refactored and by prioritizing these hot spots using different criteria. The detection is focus in the last version of an application as well as the whole history (I'm using Hismo).

Cheers,
  Santiago

2012/2/13 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>

> ps: I am including the .bib if you wish to update the Moose publications.

I will process them once back from holiday.

Alexandre

Santiago Vidal

Santiago Vidal

Re: Que tal?

Santiago Vidal
I used inFamix a couple of months ago to try to generate MSE files of Filezilla a C++ system. I generated and import the files in Moose but I had some problems after exploring the Moose models

2012/2/15 Santiago Vidal <[hidden email]>
I'm starting with that. However, I'd used inFamix to generate some MSE files

2012/2/15 Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]>
Hello Santiago,
What tool are you using to extract C++ program information?

thanx
Usman

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Santiago Vidal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
Currently, I'm working in the analysis of Smalltalk, C++ and Java applications by detecting hot spots to be refactored and by prioritizing these hot spots using different criteria. The detection is focus in the last version of an application as well as the whole history (I'm using Hismo).

Cheers,
  Santiago

2012/2/13 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>

> ps: I am including the .bib if you wish to update the Moose publications.

I will process them once back from holiday.

Alexandre

Santiago Vidal

Santiago Vidal

--
Santiago Vidal

Re: Que tal?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Indeed inFamix should be a robust solution now. I worked quite closely with the intooitus guys to refine the export. It is not perfect, but it is quite good.

If you encounter problems, please report them in a reproducible way. It would be very valuable because getting the right semantics is quite tedious.

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 Feb 2012, at 17:41, Santiago Vidal wrote:

> I used inFamix a couple of months ago to try to generate MSE files of Filezilla a C++ system. I generated and import the files in Moose but I had some problems after exploring the Moose models
>
> 2012/2/15 Santiago Vidal <[hidden email]>
> I'm starting with that. However, I'd used inFamix to generate some MSE files
>

> 2012/2/15 Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]>
> Hello Santiago,
> What tool are you using to extract C++ program information?
>
> thanx
> Usman
>

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Santiago Vidal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> Currently, I'm working in the analysis of Smalltalk, C++ and Java applications by detecting hot spots to be refactored and by prioritizing these hot spots using different criteria. The detection is focus in the last version of an application as well as the whole history (I'm using Hismo).
>
> Cheers,
>   Santiago
>
> 2012/2/13 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>
>
> > ps: I am including the .bib if you wish to update the Moose publications.
>
> I will process them once back from holiday.
>
> Alexandre

> Santiago Vidal

> Santiago Vidal
>

> --