Quest for Hierarchical Data

Mircea Filip Lungu-2
Hello Moosers,

As you already know, Dennis is working on the hierarchical graph data structure and its great associated visualization in Pharo :) We have been testing his code on software systems which have an inherently hierarchical structure with low level relationships propagating up along the package structure, but also thought we would try it on a different type of hierarchical data. The two contributions (the HG data structure & the visualization) are after all independent of the domain model.

Do you know of any data sources that have the following two properties?
1. There exists a set of relationships between low level, leaf entities
2. The low level, leaf entities can be aggregated along containment relationships

One example would be trade relationships existent between companies, can be aggregated to regions, countries, continents...

If you are aware of such a data set, we'd offer a beer for the information :)

Cheers!
M.

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

Nicolas Anquetil

There must be an infinity of it.
For example, any latex document:

- chapter > section > subsection > ...
- label / ref

nicolas

On 25/07/12 16:24, Mircea Filip Lungu wrote:
[...]

Serebrenik, A.
Dear all,

Last year one of our master students has defended thesis on traceability links between hierarchies. It seems that the topic is pretty close to what Dennis is trying to accomplish.

Master thesis: http://alexandria.tue.nl/extra1/afstversl/wsk-i/ravensteijn2011.pdf

Papers based on it:
* "Managing the co-evolution of software artifacts" can be downloaded from http://library.tue.nl/catalog/FullBB.csp?WebAction=ShowFullBB&RequestId=41221598_2&Profile=Default&OpacLanguage=dut&NumberToRetrieve=50&StartValue=2&WebPageNr=1&SearchTerm1=***N.6.733858&SearchT1=&Index1=Index1&SearchMethod=Find_1&ItemNr=2
* "Traceability Visualization in Model Transformations with TraceVis." can be downloaded from http://www.springerlink.com/content/51l544p2l3145901/?MUD=MP

Company

Best wishes,
Alexander

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

Mircea Filip Lungu-2
Hi Nicolas!

That's an interesting idea indeed. After parsing LaTeX we could implement a PhD thesis browser :)

Cheers,
M.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tudor Girba-2
Could we get a preview of the code or at least a picture? :)

Doru

On 25 Jul 2012, at 16:24, Mircea Filip Lungu wrote:

> Hello Moosers,
>
> As you already know, Dennis is working on the hierarchical graph data structure and its great associated visualization in Pharo :) We have been testing his code on software systems which have an inherently hierarchical structure with low level relationships propagating up along the package structure, but also thought we would try it on a different type of hierarchical data. The two contributions (the HG data structure & the visualization) are after all independent of the domain model.
>
> Do you know of any data sources that have the following two properties?
> 1. There exists a set of relationships between low level, leaf entities
> 2. The low level, leaf entities can be aggregated along containment relationships
>
> One example would be trade relationships existent between companies, can be aggregated to regions, countries, continents...
>
> If you are aware of such a data set, we'd offer a beer for the information :)
>
> Cheers!
> M.

www.tudorgirba.com

"One cannot do more than one can do."

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

Mircea Filip Lungu-2
Ciao Doru,

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could we get a preview of the code or at least a picture? :)

All in due time ... :) Dennis is still applying some finishing touches to the treemap visualization and when he's done he'll build a small Glamour browser. Then it would be a good time to share a demo with you guys ;)

Cheers,
M.

On 25 Jul 2012, at 16:24, Mircea Filip Lungu wrote:

> Hello Moosers,
>
> As you already know, Dennis is working on the hierarchical graph data structure and its great associated visualization in Pharo :) We have been testing his code on software systems which have an inherently hierarchical structure with low level relationships propagating up along the package structure, but also thought we would try it on a different type of hierarchical data. The two contributions (the HG data structure & the visualization) are after all independent of the domain model.
>
> Do you know of any data sources that have the following two properties?
> 1. There exists a set of relationships between low level, leaf entities
> 2. The low level, leaf entities can be aggregated along containment relationships
>
> One example would be trade relationships existent between companies, can be aggregated to regions, countries, continents...
>
> If you are aware of such a data set, we'd offer a beer for the information :)
>
> Cheers!
> M.

www.tudorgirba.com

"One cannot do more than one can do."

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

Mircea Filip Lungu-2
Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the link. Indeed, hierarchies and relationships between them it's related. Dennis said he'll have a look at the thesis.

Cheers,
M.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Serebrenik, A. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

abergel
+1 for a picture!

Alexandre

On Jul 26, 2012, at 1:52 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Could we get a preview of the code or at least a picture? :)
>
> Doru
>

> On 25 Jul 2012, at 16:24, Mircea Filip Lungu wrote:
>
>> Hello Moosers,
>>
>> As you already know, Dennis is working on the hierarchical graph data structure and its great associated visualization in Pharo :) We have been testing his code on software systems which have an inherently hierarchical structure with low level relationships propagating up along the package structure, but also thought we would try it on a different type of hierarchical data. The two contributions (the HG data structure & the visualization) are after all independent of the domain model.
>>
>> Do you know of any data sources that have the following two properties?
>> 1. There exists a set of relationships between low level, leaf entities
>> 2. The low level, leaf entities can be aggregated along containment relationships
>>
>> One example would be trade relationships existent between companies, can be aggregated to regions, countries, continents...
>>
>> If you are aware of such a data set, we'd offer a beer for the information :)
>>
>> Cheers!
>> M.

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "One cannot do more than one can do."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

you can take markdown to get started.
The is a somehow working markdown parser in Pharo (but it should be improve for link) and nested structure
but it should be easier than latex
or you can take pier.

For example building a map of pier web site could be fun. you have link and structure

Stef

On Jul 25, 2012, at 5:34 PM, Mircea Filip Lungu wrote:

> Hi Nicolas!
>
> That's an interesting idea indeed. After parsing LaTeX we could implement a PhD thesis browser :)
>
> Cheers,
> M.
>
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There must be an infinity of it.
> For example, any latex document:
>
> - chapter > section > subsection > ...
> - label / ref
>
> nicolas
>

> On 25/07/12 16:24, Mircea Filip Lungu wrote:
>> Hello Moosers,
>>
>> As you already know, Dennis is working on the hierarchical graph data structure and its great associated visualization in Pharo :) We have been testing his code on software systems which have an inherently hierarchical structure with low level relationships propagating up along the package structure, but also thought we would try it on a different type of hierarchical data. The two contributions (the HG data structure & the visualization) are after all independent of the domain model.
>>
>> Do you know of any data sources that have the following two properties?
>> 1. There exists a set of relationships between low level, leaf entities
>> 2. The low level, leaf entities can be aggregated along containment relationships
>>
>> One example would be trade relationships existent between companies, can be aggregated to regions, countries, continents...
>>
>> If you are aware of such a data set, we'd offer a beer for the information :)
>>
>> Cheers!
>> M.

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

Stephan Eggermont-3
Op 25 jul. 2012 om 16:24 heeft Mircea Filip Lungu <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
> Do you know of any data sources that have the following two properties?
> 1. There exists a set of relationships between low level, leaf entities
> 2. The low level, leaf entities can be aggregated along containment relationships

Uhm, you did look at all the work done on data warehousing, data cubes, OLAP, star & snowflake scheme?

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/barbaro/archive/2010/02/10/free-data-warehouse-olap-databases-datasets-dw-db.aspx

Stephan

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

Dennis Schenk
Sure,

The code can be found here:
MCHttpRepository
	location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Softwarenaut'
	user: ''
	password: ''
A prebuilt Pharo image with Softwarenaut can be found here: http://ci.moosetechnology.org/job/softwarenaut-latest-dev/

And here are some pictures:
The weights in these examples are LOC, but can be anything.
I added the popup text directly into the images, so you can see what is what.

These are of course work-in-progress snapshots. There are some bugs left. The next steps are to create a simple user interface, make everything a bit more appealing visually and working on the interactions.

Cheers,
Dennis

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could we get a preview of the code or at least a picture? :)

Doru

On 25 Jul 2012, at 16:24, Mircea Filip Lungu wrote:

> Hello Moosers,
>
> As you already know, Dennis is working on the hierarchical graph data structure and its great associated visualization in Pharo :) We have been testing his code on software systems which have an inherently hierarchical structure with low level relationships propagating up along the package structure, but also thought we would try it on a different type of hierarchical data. The two contributions (the HG data structure & the visualization) are after all independent of the domain model.
>
> Do you know of any data sources that have the following two properties?
> 1. There exists a set of relationships between low level, leaf entities
> 2. The low level, leaf entities can be aggregated along containment relationships
>
> One example would be trade relationships existent between companies, can be aggregated to regions, countries, continents...
>
> If you are aware of such a data set, we'd offer a beer for the information :)
>
> Cheers!
> M.

www.tudorgirba.com

"One cannot do more than one can do."

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

Stéphane Ducasse
cool!
Nice to see softwareNaut on Pharo :)

Stef

On Aug 4, 2012, at 2:53 PM, Dennis Schenk wrote:

> Sure,
>
> The code can be found here:
> MCHttpRepository
> location: '
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Softwarenaut
> '
> user: ''
> password: ''
>
> A prebuilt Pharo image with Softwarenaut can be found here: http://ci.moosetechnology.org/job/softwarenaut-latest-dev/
>
> Some information here: http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/students/dennisschenk
>
> And here are some pictures:
> • Treemap of FAMIX: http://postimage.org/image/ck4vfoq77/
> • Two treemap views of a "SimpleSample" Java Project (arrows are dependencies): http://postimage.org/image/sq6qirdij/
> • Treemap of argoUML-0.34: http://postimage.org/image/v3auh63m9/
> The weights in these examples are LOC, but can be anything.
> I added the popup text directly into the images, so you can see what is what.
>
> These are of course work-in-progress snapshots. There are some bugs left. The next steps are to create a simple user interface, make everything a bit more appealing visually and working on the interactions.
>
> Cheers,
> Dennis
>

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could we get a preview of the code or at least a picture? :)
>
> Doru
>

> On 25 Jul 2012, at 16:24, Mircea Filip Lungu wrote:
>
> > Hello Moosers,
> >
> > As you already know, Dennis is working on the hierarchical graph data structure and its great associated visualization in Pharo :) We have been testing his code on software systems which have an inherently hierarchical structure with low level relationships propagating up along the package structure, but also thought we would try it on a different type of hierarchical data. The two contributions (the HG data structure & the visualization) are after all independent of the domain model.
> >
> > Do you know of any data sources that have the following two properties?
> > 1. There exists a set of relationships between low level, leaf entities
> > 2. The low level, leaf entities can be aggregated along containment relationships
> >
> > One example would be trade relationships existent between companies, can be aggregated to regions, countries, continents...
> >
> > If you are aware of such a data set, we'd offer a beer for the information :)
> >
> > Cheers!
> > M.

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "One cannot do more than one can do."

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

abergel
This looks gorgeous!

Soon I will include the Dennis' treemap in Roassal. He made an amazing job!

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Aug 4, 2012, at 8:53 AM, Dennis Schenk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure,
>
> The code can be found here:
> MCHttpRepository
> location: '
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Softwarenaut
> '
> user: ''
> password: ''
>
> A prebuilt Pharo image with Softwarenaut can be found here: http://ci.moosetechnology.org/job/softwarenaut-latest-dev/
>
> Some information here: http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/students/dennisschenk
>
> And here are some pictures:
> • Treemap of FAMIX: http://postimage.org/image/ck4vfoq77/
> • Two treemap views of a "SimpleSample" Java Project (arrows are dependencies): http://postimage.org/image/sq6qirdij/
> • Treemap of argoUML-0.34: http://postimage.org/image/v3auh63m9/
> The weights in these examples are LOC, but can be anything.
> I added the popup text directly into the images, so you can see what is what.
>
> These are of course work-in-progress snapshots. There are some bugs left. The next steps are to create a simple user interface, make everything a bit more appealing visually and working on the interactions.
>
> Cheers,
> Dennis
>

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could we get a preview of the code or at least a picture? :)
>
> Doru
>

> On 25 Jul 2012, at 16:24, Mircea Filip Lungu wrote:
>
> > Hello Moosers,
> >
> > As you already know, Dennis is working on the hierarchical graph data structure and its great associated visualization in Pharo :) We have been testing his code on software systems which have an inherently hierarchical structure with low level relationships propagating up along the package structure, but also thought we would try it on a different type of hierarchical data. The two contributions (the HG data structure & the visualization) are after all independent of the domain model.
> >
> > Do you know of any data sources that have the following two properties?
> > 1. There exists a set of relationships between low level, leaf entities
> > 2. The low level, leaf entities can be aggregated along containment relationships
> >
> > One example would be trade relationships existent between companies, can be aggregated to regions, countries, continents...
> >
> > If you are aware of such a data set, we'd offer a beer for the information :)
> >
> > Cheers!
> > M.

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "One cannot do more than one can do."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

Tudor Girba-2
Excellent!

And thanks Dennis. You see what happens if you play a bit broader:
people get excited and you will have more impact :). Thanks again.

Cheers,
Doru

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 7:01 AM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This looks gorgeous!
>
> Soon I will include the Dennis' treemap in Roassal. He made an amazing job!
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On Aug 4, 2012, at 8:53 AM, Dennis Schenk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sure,
>>
>> The code can be found here:
>> MCHttpRepository
>>       location: '
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Softwarenaut
>> '
>>       user: ''
>>       password: ''
>>
>> A prebuilt Pharo image with Softwarenaut can be found here: http://ci.moosetechnology.org/job/softwarenaut-latest-dev/
>>
>> Some information here: http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/students/dennisschenk
>>
>> And here are some pictures:
>>       • Treemap of FAMIX: http://postimage.org/image/ck4vfoq77/
>>       • Two treemap views of a "SimpleSample" Java Project (arrows are dependencies): http://postimage.org/image/sq6qirdij/
>>       • Treemap of argoUML-0.34: http://postimage.org/image/v3auh63m9/
>> The weights in these examples are LOC, but can be anything.
>> I added the popup text directly into the images, so you can see what is what.
>>
>> These are of course work-in-progress snapshots. There are some bugs left. The next steps are to create a simple user interface, make everything a bit more appealing visually and working on the interactions.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dennis
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Could we get a preview of the code or at least a picture? :)
>>
>> Doru
>>

>> On 25 Jul 2012, at 16:24, Mircea Filip Lungu wrote:
>>
>> > Hello Moosers,
>> >
>> > As you already know, Dennis is working on the hierarchical graph data structure and its great associated visualization in Pharo :) We have been testing his code on software systems which have an inherently hierarchical structure with low level relationships propagating up along the package structure, but also thought we would try it on a different type of hierarchical data. The two contributions (the HG data structure & the visualization) are after all independent of the domain model.
>> >
>> > Do you know of any data sources that have the following two properties?
>> > 1. There exists a set of relationships between low level, leaf entities
>> > 2. The low level, leaf entities can be aggregated along containment relationships
>> >
>> > One example would be trade relationships existent between companies, can be aggregated to regions, countries, continents...
>> >
>> > If you are aware of such a data set, we'd offer a beer for the information :)
>> >
>> > Cheers!
>> > M.
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "One cannot do more than one can do."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

>> Some information here: http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/students/dennisschenk
>>
>> And here are some pictures:
>> • Treemap of FAMIX: http://postimage.org/image/ck4vfoq77/
what does it show?

Re: Quest for Hierarchical Data

Dennis Schenk
Thanks the kudos :)

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Some information here: http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/students/dennisschenk
>>
>> And here are some pictures:
>>      • Treemap of FAMIX: http://postimage.org/image/ck4vfoq77/
what does it show?

It shows a treemap of the hierarchical graph of the moose model of the FAMIX codebase ;)

First I created a moose model, which went something like this:

[...]
importer model: model;
    addFromPackagesNamed: (MooseScripts packageNamesFor: 'Famix*');
[...]

Then I created a hiGraph of the moose model. The hiGraph can then display itself as a treemap.
The big rectangle on the lower right side is a method called mse with a weight of 5067 LOC and is, surprise, inside the package of VerveineJTestRessource.

In smalltalk we have a pretty flat hierarchy. So the outermost rectangle is a FAMIXNamespace, the inner containment rectangles (with the gray borders) are all FAMIXClasses, and the inner rectangles are all FAMIXMethods.

If you compare the FAMIX treemap to the one of argoUML, you can see that we got a much more nested hierarchy (nested java packages). The darker the gray borders of the containment rectangles, the deeper the nesting level.

On Aug 5, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Dennis Schenk wrote:

> Thanks the kudos :)
>
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Some information here: http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/students/dennisschenk
> >>
> >> And here are some pictures:
> >>      • Treemap of FAMIX: http://postimage.org/image/ck4vfoq77/
> what does it show?
>
> It shows a treemap of the hierarchical graph of the moose model of the FAMIX codebase ;)
>
> First I created a moose model, which went something like this:
>
> [...]
> importer model: model;
>     addFromPackagesNamed: (MooseScripts packageNamesFor: 'Famix*');
> [...]
>
> Then I created a hiGraph of the moose model. The hiGraph can then display itself as a treemap.
> The big rectangle on the lower right side is a method called mse with a weight of 5067 LOC and is, surprise, inside the package of VerveineJTestRessource.

ok should I conclude that you take the LOC as the metrics to compute the box size?

> In smalltalk we have a pretty flat hierarchy. So the outermost rectangle is a FAMIXNamespace, the inner containment rectangles (with the gray borders) are all FAMIXClasses, and the inner rectangles are all FAMIXMethods.
>
> If you compare the FAMIX treemap to the one of argoUML, you can see that we got a much more nested hierarchy (nested java packages). The darker the gray borders of the containment rectangles, the deeper the nesting level.

ok thanks

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 5, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Dennis Schenk wrote:

> Thanks the kudos :)
>
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Some information here: http://scg.unibe.ch/wiki/students/dennisschenk
> >>
> >> And here are some pictures:
> >>      • Treemap of FAMIX: http://postimage.org/image/ck4vfoq77/
> what does it show?
>
> It shows a treemap of the hierarchical graph of the moose model of the FAMIX codebase ;)
>
> First I created a moose model, which went something like this:
>
> [...]
> importer model: model;
>     addFromPackagesNamed: (MooseScripts packageNamesFor: 'Famix*');
> [...]
>
> Then I created a hiGraph of the moose model. The hiGraph can then display itself as a treemap.
> The big rectangle on the lower right side is a method called mse with a weight of 5067 LOC and is, surprise, inside the package of VerveineJTestRessource.

ok should I conclude that you take the LOC as the metrics to compute the box size?

In this example yes, but as I said, you can specify anything you want as weight, any block of code that is, thus any metric.