Question about GSoC project

Minori Yamashita
Hi,

My name is Minori Yamashita.  I'm interested in the Smalltalk in Smalltalk
project proposed for Google Summer of Code.

I interpreted the title of the project to mean self-hosting of GNU
Smalltalk.  Is that correct?  If that's the case, can a participant work
not just on unit tests but the actual self-hosting code?

I've made in the past a self-hosting Smalltalk to JavaScript Compiler (
https://github.com/ympbyc/LittleSmallscript) and I'm eager to extend my
skill to interpreted environment or a VM.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Minori Yamashita <[hidden email]>

Re: Question about GSoC project

Holger Freyther
On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 02:59:04PM -0700, Minori Yamashita wrote:
> Hi,

Dear Minori,

> I interpreted the title of the project to mean self-hosting of GNU
> Smalltalk.  Is that correct?  If that's the case, can a participant work
> not just on unit tests but the actual self-hosting code?

It is not so much about self-hosting. We have a Smalltalk Compiler and
Parser written in Smalltalk (STinST). There is also a Smalltalk parser
and compiler in libgst/ that is written in C/flex/bison. The goal is to
make the STInST parser be able to parse and compile all the existing
GNU Smalltalk code and ported projects.

As part of the work you write unit tests but actually fix the parser
and extend the compiler. Depending on your skills, progress and time
it will be about optimizing the compiled code, runtime performance, etc.

> I've made in the past a self-hosting Smalltalk to JavaScript Compiler (
> https://github.com/ympbyc/LittleSmallscript) and I'm eager to extend my
> skill to interpreted environment or a VM.
>
> I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Does this answer your question?