Question about MD5

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks: Me and the rest of the team is developing SqueakDBX which is a driver to talk with major databases. However, I think the most persistence alternatives pharo has, the best. There is no better solution for every escenario. So, I am also trying to get the PostgreSQL native driver to work in Pharo. This package depends on Cryptography because of MD5. I know that there were added to Pharo packages like System-Hashing-core,  System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-Hashing-MD5. However, the driver doesn't work yet. But adding this single method:

ByteArray>>hex
    | stream |
    stream _ '' writeStream.
    self do: [ :each |
        stream
            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each // 16 + 1);
            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each \\ 16 + 1)].
    ^ stream contents

The driver works like a charm in Pharo without needing Cryptography package. As far as I remember there were no MIT problem with this package. Because of this those packages ( System-Hashing-core,  System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-Hashing-MD5) were integrated in Pharo.

So, can I add it?

Thanks

Mariano

Re: Question about MD5

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, please create an entry in the bug tracker (just copy paste the
mail below should be sufficient).

Cheers,
Adrian

On Aug 13, 2009, at 01:29 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot to say that others classes like Integer, Float and
> Character
> are already implementing the message hex.
>
> Best,
>
> Mariano
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks: Me and the rest of the team is developing SqueakDBX which
>> is a
>> driver to talk with major databases. However, I think the most
>> persistence
>> alternatives pharo has, the best. There is no better solution for
>> every
>> escenario. So, I am also trying to get the PostgreSQL native driver
>> to work
>> in Pharo. This package depends on Cryptography because of MD5. I
>> know that
>> there were added to Pharo packages like System-Hashing-core,
>> System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-Hashing-MD5. However, the driver
>> doesn't work
>> yet. But adding this single method:
>>
>> ByteArray>>hex
>>    | stream |
>>    stream _ '' writeStream.
>>    self do: [ :each |
>>        stream
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each // 16 + 1);
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each \\ 16 + 1)].
>>    ^ stream contents
>>
>> The driver works like a charm in Pharo without needing Cryptography
>> package. As far as I remember there were no MIT problem with this
>> package.
>> Because of this those packages ( System-Hashing-core,  System-
>> Hashing-SHA1
>> and System-Hashing-MD5) were integrated in Pharo.
>>
>> So, can I add it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mariano

Re: Question about MD5

add a nice method comment and a couple of tests!

Stef

On Aug 13, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks: Me and the rest of the team is developing SqueakDBX which
> is a driver to talk with major databases. However, I think the most
> persistence alternatives pharo has, the best. There is no better
> solution for every escenario. So, I am also trying to get the
> PostgreSQL native driver to work in Pharo. This package depends on
> Cryptography because of MD5. I know that there were added to Pharo
> packages like System-Hashing-core,  System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-
> Hashing-MD5. However, the driver doesn't work yet. But adding this
> single method:
>
> ByteArray>>hex
>     | stream |
>     stream _ '' writeStream.
>     self do: [ :each |
>         stream
>             nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each // 16 + 1);
>             nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each \\ 16 + 1)].
>     ^ stream contents
>
> The driver works like a charm in Pharo without needing Cryptography
> package. As far as I remember there were no MIT problem with this
> package. Because of this those packages ( System-Hashing-core,
> System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-Hashing-MD5) were integrated in Pharo.
>
> So, can I add it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano

Re: Question about MD5

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Please also use (String new: (self size * 2)) writeStream instead of
'' writeStream.
In this case it won't lead to any noticeable performance increases,
but it's good practice anyways :)

I'd also argue the expected returnvalue of "hex" might not be clear as
something like "asHexString" when applied to a collection (hex
previously only implemented on single values), but that's a minor issue.

When looking around, I also noticed WriteStream nextPut: does an
unnecessary check for ByteStrings which is pretty ugly (plus, it
decreases nextPut: performance for all ByteString writeStreams), filed
as Issue 1065.

Cheers,
Henry

  Issue 1065
On Aug 13, 2009, at 10:32 19AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> add a nice method comment and a couple of tests!
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 13, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi folks: Me and the rest of the team is developing SqueakDBX which
>> is a driver to talk with major databases. However, I think the most
>> persistence alternatives pharo has, the best. There is no better
>> solution for every escenario. So, I am also trying to get the
>> PostgreSQL native driver to work in Pharo. This package depends on
>> Cryptography because of MD5. I know that there were added to Pharo
>> packages like System-Hashing-core,  System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-
>> Hashing-MD5. However, the driver doesn't work yet. But adding this
>> single method:
>>
>> ByteArray>>hex
>>    | stream |
>>    stream _ '' writeStream.
>>    self do: [ :each |
>>        stream
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each // 16 + 1);
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each \\ 16 + 1)].
>>    ^ stream contents
>>
>> The driver works like a charm in Pharo without needing Cryptography
>> package. As far as I remember there were no MIT problem with this
>> package. Because of this those packages ( System-Hashing-core,
>> System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-Hashing-MD5) were integrated in Pharo.
>>
>> So, can I add it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mariano

Re: Question about MD5

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks henrik

Stef

On Aug 13, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> Please also use (String new: (self size * 2)) writeStream instead of
> '' writeStream.
> In this case it won't lead to any noticeable performance increases,
> but it's good practice anyways :)
>
> I'd also argue the expected returnvalue of "hex" might not be clear as
> something like "asHexString" when applied to a collection (hex
> previously only implemented on single values), but that's a minor
> issue.
>
> When looking around, I also noticed WriteStream nextPut: does an
> unnecessary check for ByteStrings which is pretty ugly (plus, it
> decreases nextPut: performance for all ByteString writeStreams), filed
> as Issue 1065.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>

>  Issue 1065
> On Aug 13, 2009, at 10:32 19AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> add a nice method comment and a couple of tests!
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Aug 13, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks: Me and the rest of the team is developing SqueakDBX which
>>> is a driver to talk with major databases. However, I think the most
>>> persistence alternatives pharo has, the best. There is no better
>>> solution for every escenario. So, I am also trying to get the
>>> PostgreSQL native driver to work in Pharo. This package depends on
>>> Cryptography because of MD5. I know that there were added to Pharo
>>> packages like System-Hashing-core,  System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-
>>> Hashing-MD5. However, the driver doesn't work yet. But adding this
>>> single method:
>>>
>>> ByteArray>>hex
>>>   | stream |
>>>   stream _ '' writeStream.
>>>   self do: [ :each |
>>>       stream
>>>           nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each // 16 + 1);
>>>           nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each \\ 16 + 1)].
>>>   ^ stream contents
>>>
>>> The driver works like a charm in Pharo without needing Cryptography
>>> package. As far as I remember there were no MIT problem with this
>>> package. Because of this those packages ( System-Hashing-core,
>>> System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-Hashing-MD5) were integrated in
>>> Pharo.
>>>
>>> So, can I add it?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Mariano

Re: Question about MD5

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok. I opened the ticket: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1067

I replaced _ to :=  and take into considerations the henrik suggestions.

Best,

Mariano

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please also use (String new: (self size * 2)) writeStream instead of
'' writeStream.
In this case it won't lead to any noticeable performance increases,
but it's good practice anyways :)

I'd also argue the expected returnvalue of "hex" might not be clear as
something like "asHexString" when applied to a collection (hex
previously only implemented on single values), but that's a minor issue.

When looking around, I also noticed WriteStream nextPut: does an
unnecessary check for ByteStrings which is pretty ugly (plus, it
decreases nextPut: performance for all ByteString writeStreams), filed
as Issue 1065.

Cheers,
Henry

 Issue 1065
On Aug 13, 2009, at 10:32 19AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> add a nice method comment and a couple of tests!
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 13, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi folks: Me and the rest of the team is developing SqueakDBX which
>> is a driver to talk with major databases. However, I think the most
>> persistence alternatives pharo has, the best. There is no better
>> solution for every escenario. So, I am also trying to get the
>> PostgreSQL native driver to work in Pharo. This package depends on
>> Cryptography because of MD5. I know that there were added to Pharo
>> packages like System-Hashing-core,  System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-
>> Hashing-MD5. However, the driver doesn't work yet. But adding this
>> single method:
>>
>> ByteArray>>hex
>>    | stream |
>>    stream _ '' writeStream.
>>    self do: [ :each |
>>        stream
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each // 16 + 1);
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each \\ 16 + 1)].
>>    ^ stream contents
>>
>> The driver works like a charm in Pharo without needing Cryptography
>> package. As far as I remember there were no MIT problem with this
>> package. Because of this those packages ( System-Hashing-core,
>> System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-Hashing-MD5) were integrated in Pharo.
>>
>> So, can I add it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mariano

Re: Question about MD5

Henrik Sperre Johansen
I added a version to the issue which is almost 2x faster (for large ByteArrays at least). I'm not sure if the needs of DBX are such that the performance increase can justify the added uglyness (using to:do: instead of do: ), but it'd be nice if you would have a look.

Cheers,
Henry

On Aug 13, 2009, at 3:23 08PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Ok. I opened the ticket: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1067

I replaced _ to :=  and take into considerations the henrik suggestions.

Best,

Mariano

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please also use (String new: (self size * 2)) writeStream instead of
'' writeStream.
In this case it won't lead to any noticeable performance increases,
but it's good practice anyways :)

I'd also argue the expected returnvalue of "hex" might not be clear as
something like "asHexString" when applied to a collection (hex
previously only implemented on single values), but that's a minor issue.

When looking around, I also noticed WriteStream nextPut: does an
unnecessary check for ByteStrings which is pretty ugly (plus, it
decreases nextPut: performance for all ByteString writeStreams), filed
as Issue 1065.

Cheers,
Henry

 Issue 1065
On Aug 13, 2009, at 10:32 19AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> add a nice method comment and a couple of tests!
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 13, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi folks: Me and the rest of the team is developing SqueakDBX which
>> is a driver to talk with major databases. However, I think the most
>> persistence alternatives pharo has, the best. There is no better
>> solution for every escenario. So, I am also trying to get the
>> PostgreSQL native driver to work in Pharo. This package depends on
>> Cryptography because of MD5. I know that there were added to Pharo
>> packages like System-Hashing-core,  System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-
>> Hashing-MD5. However, the driver doesn't work yet. But adding this
>> single method:
>>
>> ByteArray>>hex
>>    | stream |
>>    stream _ '' writeStream.
>>    self do: [ :each |
>>        stream
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each // 16 + 1);
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each \\ 16 + 1)].
>>    ^ stream contents
>>
>> The driver works like a charm in Pharo without needing Cryptography
>> package. As far as I remember there were no MIT problem with this
>> package. Because of this those packages ( System-Hashing-core,
>> System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-Hashing-MD5) were integrated in Pharo.
>>
>> So, can I add it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mariano

Re: Question about MD5

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/8/14 Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>
I added a version to the issue which is almost 2x faster (for large ByteArrays at least). I'm not sure if the needs of DBX are such that the performance increase can justify the added uglyness (using to:do: instead of do: ), but it'd be nice if you would have a look.

Henry: Thanks for your feedback and work! I tried both solutions. The one I posted, with your benchmark give me 34734. However, with your version, I have 29675.

best,

Mariano

Cheers,
Henry

On Aug 13, 2009, at 3:23 08PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Ok. I opened the ticket: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1067

I replaced _ to :=  and take into considerations the henrik suggestions.

Best,

Mariano

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please also use (String new: (self size * 2)) writeStream instead of
'' writeStream.
In this case it won't lead to any noticeable performance increases,
but it's good practice anyways :)

I'd also argue the expected returnvalue of "hex" might not be clear as
something like "asHexString" when applied to a collection (hex
previously only implemented on single values), but that's a minor issue.

When looking around, I also noticed WriteStream nextPut: does an
unnecessary check for ByteStrings which is pretty ugly (plus, it
decreases nextPut: performance for all ByteString writeStreams), filed
as Issue 1065.

Cheers,
Henry

 Issue 1065
On Aug 13, 2009, at 10:32 19AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> add a nice method comment and a couple of tests!
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 13, 2009, at 1:26 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Hi folks: Me and the rest of the team is developing SqueakDBX which
>> is a driver to talk with major databases. However, I think the most
>> persistence alternatives pharo has, the best. There is no better
>> solution for every escenario. So, I am also trying to get the
>> PostgreSQL native driver to work in Pharo. This package depends on
>> Cryptography because of MD5. I know that there were added to Pharo
>> packages like System-Hashing-core,  System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-
>> Hashing-MD5. However, the driver doesn't work yet. But adding this
>> single method:
>>
>> ByteArray>>hex
>>    | stream |
>>    stream _ '' writeStream.
>>    self do: [ :each |
>>        stream
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each // 16 + 1);
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each \\ 16 + 1)].
>>    ^ stream contents
>>
>> The driver works like a charm in Pharo without needing Cryptography
>> package. As far as I remember there were no MIT problem with this
>> package. Because of this those packages ( System-Hashing-core,
>> System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-Hashing-MD5) were integrated in Pharo.
>>
>> So, can I add it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mariano

Re: Question about MD5

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Strange, retested now.

With .cs from 1065 also installed I got (first result with what I posted):
Time millisecondsToRun: [500 timesRepeat: [largestByteArray hex]] 23267 32033

and without it:
Time millisecondsToRun: [500 timesRepeat: [largestByteArray hex]] 38877 50751

Guess I tested the old version in an image without 1065 when I wrote the 2x :)

Cheers,
Henry

On Aug 14, 2009, at 3:18 58PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> [...]

>> Cryptography because of MD5. I know that there were added to Pharo
>> packages like System-Hashing-core,  System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-
>> Hashing-MD5. However, the driver doesn't work yet. But adding this
>> single method:
>>
>> ByteArray>>hex
>>    | stream |
>>    stream _ '' writeStream.
>>    self do: [ :each |
>>        stream
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each // 16 + 1);
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each \\ 16 + 1)].
>>    ^ stream contents
>>
>> The driver works like a charm in Pharo without needing Cryptography
>> package. As far as I remember there were no MIT problem with this
>> package. Because of this those packages ( System-Hashing-core,
>> System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-Hashing-MD5) were integrated in Pharo.

Re: Question about MD5

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok then...can I commit it in inbox?

best,

Mariano

> [...]

>> Cryptography because of MD5. I know that there were added to Pharo
>> packages like System-Hashing-core,  System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-
>> Hashing-MD5. However, the driver doesn't work yet. But adding this
>> single method:
>>
>> ByteArray>>hex
>>    | stream |
>>    stream _ '' writeStream.
>>    self do: [ :each |
>>        stream
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each // 16 + 1);
>>            nextPut: ('0123456789ABCDEF' at: each \\ 16 + 1)].
>>    ^ stream contents
>>
>> The driver works like a charm in Pharo without needing Cryptography
>> package. As far as I remember there were no MIT problem with this
>> package. Because of this those packages ( System-Hashing-core,
>> System-Hashing-SHA1 and System-Hashing-MD5) were integrated in Pharo.

Re: Question about MD5

Stéphane Ducasse
sure!
and you open a ticket flagged as 1.0
Stef

On Aug 15, 2009, at 9:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> [...]
>>> suggestions.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Mariano
>>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]
>>> Please also use (String new: (self size * 2)) writeStream instead of
>>> '' writeStream.
>>> In this case it won't lead to any noticeable performance increases,
>>> but it's good practice anyways :)
>>>
>>> I'd also argue the expected returnvalue of "hex" might not be
>>> clear as
>>> something like "asHexString" when applied to a collection (hex
>>> previously only implemented on single values), but that's a minor
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> When looking around, I also noticed WriteStream nextPut: does an
>>> unnecessary check for ByteStrings which is pretty ugly (plus, it
>>> decreases nextPut: performance for all ByteString writeStreams),

Re: Question about MD5

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 6:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
sure!

My change is ByteArray which is in the package Collections-Arrayed. I thought I have to  commit my changes to PharoInbox but in that repo it is not commited this package. So, what should I do:

1) commit the hole package to PharoInbox repo

2) commit the change to Pharo repo

and you open a ticket flagged as 1.0

It is alerady opened here: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1067

But I don't know how to tag it as 1.0

thanks

Mariano

> [...]

>>> suggestions.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Mariano
>>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]
>>> Please also use (String new: (self size * 2)) writeStream instead of
>>> '' writeStream.
>>> In this case it won't lead to any noticeable performance increases,
>>> but it's good practice anyways :)
>>>
>>> I'd also argue the expected returnvalue of "hex" might not be
>>> clear as
>>> something like "asHexString" when applied to a collection (hex
>>> previously only implemented on single values), but that's a minor
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> When looking around, I also noticed WriteStream nextPut: does an
>>> unnecessary check for ByteStrings which is pretty ugly (plus, it
>>> decreases nextPut: performance for all ByteString writeStreams),

Re: Question about MD5

Stéphane Ducasse
> 1) commit the hole package to PharoInbox repo
>
> But I don't know how to tag it as 1.0
if you start to add a tag you should get a list.
This is a google shitty interface (tm)

Re: Question about MD5

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1) commit the hole package to PharoInbox repo
>
> But I don't know how to tag it as 1.0
if you start to add a tag you should get a list.
This is a google shitty interface (tm)

Ahh okok. Now I found it. The thing now is...where I commit these change? (see my last email)

Thanks

Mariano

Re: Question about MD5

>> 1) commit the hole package to PharoInbox repo

or read the wiki since everything is explained.
How to contribute
        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute

SequenceableCollection do: causes GCs with closure bytecodes

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Something I noticed when looking at ByteArray>>hex, anyone know the
reason why there's GC going on in do: with closure images, but not
using the old bytecodes?
Even with no closed-over variables in the block, it seems it creates
extra fodder for the Garbage collector...

Is it something the stack VM / Improved Garbage Collector will change?

Cheers,
Henry

Simple test:
intArray := (1 to: 10000000) asArray.
TimeProfileBrowser onBlock: [intArray  do: [:ix | ix yourself]]
(It's not due to sampling overhead, Time millisecondsToRun: return
similiar runtimes)

Without closures (I used 250):
-941 tallies, 965 msec.
**GCs**
incr 4 totalling 0ms

With closures (I used 414):
-1938 tallies, 1938 msec.
**GCs**
inc 2510 totalling 614ms

Re: Question about MD5

Mariano Martinez Peck
Stef: you can integrate it when you want:

Name: Collections-Arrayed-MarianoMartinezPeck.19
Author: MarianoMartinezPeck
Time: 17 August 2009, 4:45:44 pm
UUID: 0622a079-d239-4a4c-a78a-3f72fabea85b
Ancestors: Collections-Arrayed-stephane_ducasse.18

Fix to bug: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1067
I implemented ByteArray>>hex

Cheers,

Mariano

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> 1) commit the hole package to PharoInbox repo

or read the wiki since everything is explained.
How to contribute
       http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute

Re: Question about MD5

Stéphane Ducasse