Question about div

Brian Brown-2
Hello all,

I'm using div like so:

html div
        class: 'foo';
        with: [html render: widget].

which gives me my widget html embedded:

<class>foo</class>
<with>
     ... widget html in here.
</with>

Methinks that is not correct; can I not do a render: in a with:[]?

Brian

Re: Question about div

keith1y
Dear Brian,

this has to be the most common gotcha for us new seasiders...

The new API with all the "withs: [ ] "is available to components that
implement this instance method.

rendererClass
    ^ WARenderCanvas

otherwise it defaults to the previous incarnation of the  renderer
WAHtmlRenderer.

hope this helps

Keith

> Hello all,
>
> I'm using div like so:
>
> html div
>     class: 'foo';
>     with: [html render: widget].
>

> which gives me my widget html embedded:

> <class>foo</class>
> <with>
>     ... widget html in here.
> </with>
>

> Methinks that is not correct; can I not do a render: in a with:[]?
>
> Brian
>
> _

Re: Question about div

Brian Brown-2
Hi Keith :)

Yes, I figured that out... I had erroneously assumed that
WARenderCanvas was the default these days, so it works great now that
I'm using the right renderer!

Thanks!

Brian

On Oct 7, 2006, at 7:02 PM, Keith Hodges wrote:

> Dear Brian,
>
> this has to be the most common gotcha for us new seasiders...
>
> The new API with all the "withs: [ ] "is available to components
> that implement this instance method.
>
> rendererClass
>    ^ WARenderCanvas
>
> otherwise it defaults to the previous incarnation of the  renderer
> WAHtmlRenderer.
>
> hope this helps
>
> Keith
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm using div like so:
>>
>> html div
>>     class: 'foo';
>>     with: [html render: widget].
>>

>> which gives me my widget html embedded:

>> <class>foo</class>
>> <with>
>>     ... widget html in here.
>> </with>
>>

>> Methinks that is not correct; can I not do a render: in a with:[]?
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> _

RE: Question about div

Ramon Leon-5

> Hi Keith :)
>
> Yes, I figured that out... I had erroneously assumed that
> WARenderCanvas was the default these days, so it works great
> now that I'm using the right renderer!
>
> Thanks!

It is the default, in the 2.7 branch.

Ramón León
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Question about div

Chun, Sungjin

Re: Question about div

Philippe Marschall

RE: Question about div

Ramon Leon-5
> > 2.7 is usable? I mean for learning seaside and developing
> new application.
>
> No! Don't load!
>
> Philippe

I wouldn't say that... I'd say, load at your own risk, and don't load the
absolute latest.  I've been using Seaside2.7a1-avi.10 for a bit now and it
seems fairly solid.

Ramón León
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Question about div

Philippe Marschall
2006/10/10, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>:

> > > 2.7 is usable? I mean for learning seaside and developing
> > new application.
> >
> > No! Don't load!
> >
> > Philippe
>
> I wouldn't say that... I'd say, load at your own risk, and don't load the
> absolute latest.  I've been using Seaside2.7a1-avi.10 for a bit now and it
> seems fairly solid.

Then we are just are not good enough at breaking stuff. You'd expect
someone like Stef being better at teaching random refactorings ;) But
we're working on it.

And  certainly we broke stuff, some intentional other not. In the very
beginning almost nothing was working.

And there certainly is stuff broken. For example I just noted that
WADateSelector is broken (needs to be ported to canvas API). All the
tests for the old renderer are broken (need to implement
#rendererClass and return WAHtmlRenderer).

Philippe

RE: Question about div

Ramon Leon-5
> Then we are just are not good enough at breaking stuff. You'd
> expect someone like Stef being better at teaching random
> refactorings ;) But we're working on it.
>
> And  certainly we broke stuff, some intentional other not. In
> the very beginning almost nothing was working.
>
> And there certainly is stuff broken. For example I just noted
> that WADateSelector is broken (needs to be ported to canvas
> API). All the tests for the old renderer are broken (need to
> implement #rendererClass and return WAHtmlRenderer).
>
> Philippe

Ah, I use very few built in components, nor the old render.  In fact, I only
use the pager, and a custom subclass of it at that.  Most of the stuff I do
relies heavily on script.aculo.us to do any real work, and YUI for widgets,
the seaside ones are just too plain.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: RE: Question about div

Lukas Renggli
> Ah, I use very few built in components, nor the old render.  In fact, I only
> use the pager, and a custom subclass of it at that.  Most of the stuff I do
> relies heavily on script.aculo.us to do any real work, and YUI for widgets,
> the seaside ones are just too plain.

Anything to share for the YUI widgets? How did you integrate them? Do
they work together with script.aculo.us?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Question about div

Ramon Leon-4
>> Ah, I use very few built in components, nor the old render.  In fact,
>> I only
>> use the pager, and a custom subclass of it at that.  Most of the stuff
>> I do
>> relies heavily on script.aculo.us to do any real work, and YUI for
>> widgets,
>> the seaside ones are just too plain.
>

> Anything to share for the YUI widgets? How did you integrate them? Do
> they work together with script.aculo.us?
>
> Lukas

LOL, I don't have your energy, when I say I use the YUI widgets, I mean
just a few... I don't port entire libraries like you. :)

However, I use the calendar, and the dialog class, and they seem well
built and quite configurable.  Everything's factored into a few reusable
javascript libraries.  Each widget having various dependencies on
different parts of those core libraries and a few css files to skin it.

I haven't had a single computability problem with prototype,
script.aculo.us, google maps, or anything really.  I use em all and so
far it's been seamless.  I've been rather lazy so far; When I want to
use a component, I simply wrap it in a WAComponent, and make the bare
minimum parameters configurable, to get the widget up and running.  I
only have one main project I'm using them in, so I don't bother making
them truly reusable and wrapping them totally like you did with
script.aculo.us.

Re: Question about div

Ramon Leon-4
> I haven't had a single computability problem with prototype,

I meant compatibility problem, damn spell checkers.

RE: Question about div

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Same here, I replaced stock lightbox with YUI's panels here as well as
added a date picker to our date fields, but its always tough to find
time to clean it up to the point of sharing although I do try
(SeasideYUI in Public Store).

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

>> Ah, I use very few built in components, nor the old render.  In fact,

>> I only
>> use the pager, and a custom subclass of it at that.  Most of the
stuff

>> I do
>> relies heavily on script.aculo.us to do any real work, and YUI for
>> widgets,
>> the seaside ones are just too plain.
>

> Anything to share for the YUI widgets? How did you integrate them? Do
> they work together with script.aculo.us?
>
> Lukas

LOL, I don't have your energy, when I say I use the YUI widgets, I mean
just a few... I don't port entire libraries like you. :)

However, I use the calendar, and the dialog class, and they seem well
built and quite configurable.  Everything's factored into a few reusable

javascript libraries.  Each widget having various dependencies on
different parts of those core libraries and a few css files to skin it.

I haven't had a single computability problem with prototype,
script.aculo.us, google maps, or anything really.  I use em all and so
far it's been seamless.  I've been rather lazy so far; When I want to
use a component, I simply wrap it in a WAComponent, and make the bare
minimum parameters configurable, to get the widget up and running.  I
only have one main project I'm using them in, so I don't bother making
them truly reusable and wrapping them totally like you did with
script.aculo.us.

Re: Question about div

Jason Johnson-3
Ramon Leon wrote:
> Ah, I use very few built in components, nor the old render.  In fact, I only
> use the pager, and a custom subclass of it at that.  Most of the stuff I do
> relies heavily on script.aculo.us to do any real work, and YUI for widgets,
> the seaside ones are just too plain.
>
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

Sounds very interesting.  Are your sites public or private?  And if
public, would you mind if some of the seaside/smalltalk sites pointed at
them for a "success stories" type thing?  If you are doing everything
with script.aculo.us I bet the site(s) is/are pretty fancy.

RE: Question about div

Ramon Leon-5
> Ramon Leon wrote:
> > Ah, I use very few built in components, nor the old render.
>  In fact,
> > I only use the pager, and a custom subclass of it at that.  Most of
> > the stuff I do relies heavily on script.aculo.us to do any
> real work,
> > and YUI for widgets, the seaside ones are just too plain.
> >
> > Ramon Leon
> > http://onsmalltalk.com
>
> Sounds very interesting.  Are your sites public or private?
> And if public, would you mind if some of the
> seaside/smalltalk sites pointed at them for a "success
> stories" type thing?  If you are doing everything with
> script.aculo.us I bet the site(s) is/are pretty fancy.

It will be public, hopefully soon, but it's still in a private beta at the
moment.  After I go live, and I'm sure everything's working OK, I'll
announce it to the list.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com