Question about package system

Casey Ransberger-2
I know I should be looking at PackageInfo, but are there any other parts to this that I should browse in order to better understand how the Cuis code-in-files stuff works?

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: Question about package system

Hannes Hirzel
Casey,

The class PackageInfo has been renamed to CodePackage by Juan.

Read the comment there.
As well the one of CodePackageFile.

Maybe a sequence of exercises like the following helps.

Phase 0
Get an account on www.github.com

Create a fork of https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis

Install a git client.on your local machine
I use http://code.google.com/p/msysgit and in particular the git bash
shell under Windows 7 so that I do not have to shift gears mentally
when working under Linux. However you might prefer something else.

Read the help files of github in particular the part about forking
(actually the 'git boot camp')

- cloning your fork
- uploading your local changes to your fork
- pulling in updates from your fork (called origin)
- pulling in changes from master (from Juan), this is called 'upstream'

Phase 1

a) World Menu -> Open -> Installed Packages

b) button Create package named 'MyVeryNicePackage'

c) add some classes with category 'MyVeryNicePackage' in System Browser

d) go to 'Installed Packages' browser and click 'save'

e) quit Cuis without saving anything

f) commit the code 'MyVeryNicePackage.pck.st'

g) git push origin master

Phase 2 a)
a) start Cuis again

b) World Menu -> Open -> File List

c)  Choose 'MyVeryNicePackage.pck.st'

d) Click on button 'InstallPckg'

e) Use the code in class category MyVeryNicePackage

Phase 2b)
a) Make changes to class category MyVeryNicePackage

b) save package in 'Installed Packages' browser

c) quit Cuis without saving anything

d) git commit -m "my second version of MyVeryNicePackage"

e) maybe push it again to your fork

   git push origin master

Phase 3)

..... pull in changes from Juan

git pull upstream master
git merge upstream/master

(to check.... I am still learning github as well

Angel maybe you can elaborarte

how to set upstream

HTH

--Hannes

On 1/3/13, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Casey,
>
> The class PackageInfo has been renamed to CodePackage by Juan.
>
> Read the comment there.
> As well the one of CodePackageFile.
>

> Maybe a sequence of exercises like the following helps.
>
> Phase 0
> Get an account on www.github.com
>
> Create a fork of https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
>
> Install a git client.on your local machine
> I use http://code.google.com/p/msysgit and in particular the git bash
> shell under Windows 7 so that I do not have to shift gears mentally
> when working under Linux. However you might prefer something else.
>
> Read the help files of github in particular the part about forking
> (actually the 'git boot camp')
>
> - cloning your fork
> - uploading your local changes to your fork
> - pulling in updates from your fork (called origin)
> - pulling in changes from master (from Juan), this is called 'upstream'
>

> Phase 1
>
> a) World Menu -> Open -> Installed Packages
>
> b) button Create package named 'MyVeryNicePackage'
>
> c) add some classes with category 'MyVeryNicePackage' in System Browser
>
> d) go to 'Installed Packages' browser and click 'save'
>
> e) quit Cuis without saving anything
>
> f) commit the code 'MyVeryNicePackage.pck.st'
>
> g) git push origin master
>

> Phase 2 a)
> a) start Cuis again
>
> b) World Menu -> Open -> File List
>
> c)  Choose 'MyVeryNicePackage.pck.st'
>
> d) Click on button 'InstallPckg'
>
> e) Use the code in class category MyVeryNicePackage
>

> Phase 2b)
> a) Make changes to class category MyVeryNicePackage
>
> b) save package in 'Installed Packages' browser
>
> c) quit Cuis without saving anything
>
> d) git commit -m "my second version of MyVeryNicePackage"
>
> e) maybe push it again to your fork
>
>    git push origin master
>

> Phase 3)
>
> ..... pull in changes from Juan
>

> git pull upstream master
> git merge upstream/master
>
> (to check.... I am still learning github as well
>
> Angel maybe you can elaborarate

Description is here

https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo

"Pull in upstream changes"

> how to set upstream
>

> HTH
>
> --Hannes
>

> On 1/3/13, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I know I should be looking at PackageInfo, but are there any other parts
>> this that I should browse in order to better understand how the Cuis
>> code-in-files stuff works?
>>
>> --
>> Casey Ransberger

Re: Question about package system

Juan Vuletich-4
Thanks Hannes! This is nice.
Maybe we'd add it as another workspace in the help menu.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 1/3/13, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Casey,
>>
>> The class PackageInfo has been renamed to CodePackage by Juan.
>>
>> Read the comment there.
>> As well the one of CodePackageFile.
>>

>> Maybe a sequence of exercises like the following helps.
>>
>> Phase 0
>> Get an account on www.github.com
>>
>> Create a fork of https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
>>
>> Install a git client.on your local machine
>> I use http://code.google.com/p/msysgit and in particular the git bash
>> shell under Windows 7 so that I do not have to shift gears mentally
>> when working under Linux. However you might prefer something else.
>>
>> Read the help files of github in particular the part about forking
>> (actually the 'git boot camp')
>>
>> - cloning your fork
>> - uploading your local changes to your fork
>> - pulling in updates from your fork (called origin)
>> - pulling in changes from master (from Juan), this is called 'upstream'
>>

>> Phase 1
>>
>> a) World Menu -> Open -> Installed Packages
>>
>> b) button Create package named 'MyVeryNicePackage'
>>
>> c) add some classes with category 'MyVeryNicePackage' in System Browser
>>
>> d) go to 'Installed Packages' browser and click 'save'
>>
>> e) quit Cuis without saving anything
>>
>> f) commit the code 'MyVeryNicePackage.pck.st'
>>
>> g) git push origin master
>>

>> Phase 2 a)
>> a) start Cuis again
>>
>> b) World Menu -> Open -> File List
>>
>> c)  Choose 'MyVeryNicePackage.pck.st'
>>
>> d) Click on button 'InstallPckg'
>>
>> e) Use the code in class category MyVeryNicePackage
>>

>> Phase 2b)
>> a) Make changes to class category MyVeryNicePackage
>>
>> b) save package in 'Installed Packages' browser
>>
>> c) quit Cuis without saving anything
>>
>> d) git commit -m "my second version of MyVeryNicePackage"
>>
>> e) maybe push it again to your fork
>>
>>    git push origin master
>>

>> Phase 3)
>>
>> ..... pull in changes from Juan
>>

>> git pull upstream master
>> git merge upstream/master
>>
>> (to check.... I am still learning github as well
>>
>> Angel maybe you can elaborarate
>>

> Description is here
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo
>
> "Pull in upstream changes"
>

>> how to set upstream
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> --Hannes
>>

>> On 1/3/13, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I know I should be looking at PackageInfo, but are there any other parts
>>> this that I should browse in order to better understand how the Cuis
>>> code-in-files stuff works?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Casey Ransberger

Re: Question about package system

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

I added Hannes instructions verbatim to the latest image, so we don't
forget about this.

Please review it, send comments or corrections, etc.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich